Paint Issue -Need Advice- What would you do??

I decided to post this as separate thread.   A new item is a paint problem where at the front of the rear passenger door right where it lines up with the front door the paint looked like it was touched up and coated over.  At first glance I thought it was my paint protection film partially peeled back when I realized I didn't put paint protection film on the doors.   My wife noticed it and since its pristine white and you don't see it right away.  My Xpel film guy said this looks like post factory shipping company repair or during q/c they attempted to fix it and repair it.  Dealer took pictures and sent to Lincoln.  I just don't want problems with that paint peeling back or the clear coat wearing off because it was done somewhat poorly and I see what looks like bear metal exposed in there (the silver color).  See pic below. Should I insist on a new door?   What would you do?

IMG_9648.jpeg

Edited by Wolfepack88
misspell

20 hours ago, Wolfepack88 said:

I decided to post this as separate thread.   A new item is a paint problem where at the front of the rear passenger door right where it lines up with the front door the paint looked like it was touched up and coated over.  At first glance I thought it was my paint protection film partially peeled back when I realized I didn't put paint protection film on the doors.   My wife noticed it and since its pristine white and you don't see it right away.  My Xpel film guy said this looks like post factory shipping company repair or during q/c they attempted to fix it and repair it.  Dealer took pictures and sent to Lincoln.  I just don't want problems with that paint peeling back or the clear coat wearing off because it was done somewhat poorly and I see what looks like bear metal exposed in there (the silver color).  See pic below. Should I insist on a new door?   What would you do?

Hi Wolfepack. It is difficult to tell from the photo whether that is touch up paint over the factory paint, or just worn paint. Either way, it needs to be corrected, and Lincoln should and will fix it under warranty.

Personal opinion on the "new door' question: There is no sense in asking for or insisting on a "new door" for several reasons. The main one being a new door (or door skin) would still need to be painted (they do not come already painted), all the interior trim, switches etc changed over, then properly installed, hung etc.

Lincoln will not replace the door, since it makes no sense to do so. The door will be painted and adjusted to fit properly by a Lincoln certified Body Shop, if your Dealer does not have a body shop of their own.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

13 minutes ago, Wolfepack88 said:

Ok, I wasn't sure how they would fix it since they said they took pictures of this and sent it to Lincoln.  That made me think it wasn't just a paint in body shop fix.  

Hi Wolfepack. This is standard practice nowadays. Dealers need to get prior approval from Lincoln/Ford for warranty repair items such as this. Therefore, the Dealer is required to submit photos of the damage/defect before they can repair it.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 2

That looks like crap!

I'm surprised you missed it on delivery.

Now, I know nothing about the assembly/paint process, but it looks like your door is bent -the seam is crooked.  As if someone opened the painted door before the gap was set and made contact with the other door, chipping the paint off at minimum.

Can you see a deflection in the door, is it bent?  Does the gap look straight between the 2 doors? 

I would portray a little "red-ass" to this one...that is unacceptable quality, especially from Lincoln.

Good luck.

12 hours ago, Wolfepack88 said:

Ok, I wasn't sure how they would fix it since they said they took pictures of this and sent it to Lincoln.  That made me think it wasn't just a paint in body shop fix.  

Ford and Lincoln have been requiring photo evidence for any warranty repairs such as this. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 2:32 PM, Wolfepack88 said:

IMG_9648.jpeg

The shipping/car carrier firms inspect vehicles when they arrive and will note damages on the BOL (Bill of Lading) prior to delivering the vehicle to the dealership. The car carrier firms do not perform any repairs to vehicles. Repairs such as this are performed by the dealerships and submitted as a warranty claim. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up the car and they repainted the door but I couldn't really inspect it as en epic thunderstorm was on site at the time but will take a picture tomorrow and upload.  Good thing my film guy will reapply the ceramic coat on my door for no charge.