California shakes up auto industry, says all vans and trucks must be electric by 2024

9 hours ago, slemke said:

But, is it allowed under the BEV mandate?  I’m guessing based on the work being done with fuel cells that it might.  I haven’t read CA’s mandate, nor do I care to.  Other biofuels may qualify also.  

if synthetic and biofuels are allowed, it calls into question the decision any mfg makes to drop ice development.

if its emissions free...why not...California is renowned for throwing crap at the wall and seeing if it sticks through absurd policy....only to back off when their constituents tell them to go " … " themselves or they will be voted out.....witness Newsome backing off on lockdowns etc when his recall vote was getting close to the numbers needed...

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 9:23 AM, Chrisgb said:

We'll probably start seeing electrical hookups alongside fire hydrants. California will likely shut down air travel (MA first to follow suit) as airport districts are among the highest contributors of greenhouse gasses in urban areas. We have Zoom, FaceTime, Skype, VR etc. No need to go anywhere anyway.

That still wouldn’t solve the problem if the grid was down....I sense sarcasm.  CA could force a percentage of its population to live in exile in other states.  That would cut down on pollution and overcrowding while still allowing them to contribute to the financial well being of the homeland.

10 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The issue with Synthetic fuel is going to be costs-It won't be viable if it costs 2-3 times of  petroleum based products. I can see it existing for "classic" ICE cars 

Still have to wonder if part of the process in producing a synthetic fuel isn't still petroleum based. 

5 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Still have to wonder if part of the process in producing a synthetic fuel isn't still petroleum based. 

Yeah which makes me wonder about the whole thing. If this was a "thing" that was viable, why didn't someone pursue it sooner.

23 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Yeah which makes me wonder about the whole thing. If this was a "thing" that was viable, why didn't someone pursue it sooner.

Probably because it's only viable if the government outlaws ICE vehicles and you have no other choice.   Probably way too expensive to compete against gasoline.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The issue with Synthetic fuel is going to be costs-It won't be viable if it costs 2-3 times of  petroleum based products. I can see it existing for "classic" ICE cars 

The Greenies have been touting "green" hydrogen for some time. This involves electrolysis of water with renewable electricity. Currently 3 times the price of fossil hydrogen. Hydrogen pricier than LPG, and pricier than gasoline. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Washington State passed a bill on April 15 to phase out the sale of new gasoline powered cars by 2030. This is 5 years ahead of the proposals in California, Massachusetts, and Quebec. This Washington State bill doesn't address ZEV mandates for commercial trucks and vans. Washington state passes bill with goal to phase out gasoline cars | Reuters

But it only goes into effect if another bill is passed to tax vehicles by the mile driven.  Might be more of a green facade than anything.

• Like 1

Governors of 12 U.S. states wrote a letter to President Biden today requesting federal government support for ZEV mandates, bans on the sale of new ICE powered vehicles, and other regulatory actions that promote sustainability for both passenger cars/light trucks and commercial vehicles.

Link to letter. 4.21.21-Multi-State-Governors-ZEV-Letter.pdf (ca.gov)

List of governors & states who signed the letter.

• Gavin Newsom, California
  • Ned Lamont, Connecticut
  • David Ige, Hawaii
  • Janet Mills,  Maine
  • Charlie Baker, Massachusetts
  • Philip D. Murphy, New Jersey
  • Andrew Cuomo, New York
  • Michelle Lujan Grisham, New Mexico
  • Roy Cooper, North Carolina
  • Kate Brown, Oregon
  • Dan McKee, Rhode Island
  • Jay Inslee, Washington

Dominion Energy is building a test plant out West where they will mix hydrogen with natural gas which they believe will greatly reduce CO2. And today Chevron signed a deal with Toyota to work on hydogen fuel cells. Lastly, Exxon is planning a $100 billion carbon capture plant in TX with investment from them, local, state and federal entities.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Dominion Energy is building a test plant out West where they will mix hydrogen with natural gas which they believe will greatly reduce CO2. And today Chevron signed a deal with Toyota to work on hydogen fuel cells. Lastly, Exxon is planning a $100 billion carbon capture plant in TX with investment from them, local, state and federal entities.

A lot of people mistaken ZEVs meaning electric only which is a wrong assumption. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Footballfan said:

A lot of people mistaken ZEVs meaning electric only which is a wrong assumption. 

For passenger cars and light trucks, BEV is the most viable ZEV type. Hydrogen fuel cells may make sense for certain commercial and military applications, otherwise they're "fool cells".

17 hours ago, rperez817 said:

For passenger cars and light trucks, BEV is the most viable ZEV type. Hydrogen fuel cells may make sense for certain commercial and military applications, otherwise they're "fool cells".

Yes, a lot has to happen to make fuel cells feasible.  

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 6:09 AM, Footballfan said:

Correct, manufacturers should be exploring all ZEV options including fuel cells,

I tend to think that a blending of BEV and fuel cell for range extension is probably 

a good option for future vehicles.....the ultimate PHEV.

On 4/23/2021 at 4:31 PM, jpd80 said:

Correct, manufacturers should be exploring all ZEV options including fuel cells,

I tend to think that a blending of BEV and fuel cell for range extension is probably 

a good option for future vehicles.....the ultimate PHEV.

They have, and have been doing so for quite some time.  As it stands now, BEV's for passenger cars to medium duty trucks, BEV heavy regional trucks, and fuel cell interstate trucks seem to be the most viable options.  Technological breakthroughs could change things somewhat, but I think the future is pretty much mapped out at this point.     

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

They have, and have been doing so for quite some time.  As it stands now, BEV's for passenger cars to medium duty trucks, BEV heavy regional trucks, and fuel cell interstate trucks seem to be the most viable options.  Technological breakthroughs could change things somewhat, but I think the future is pretty much mapped out at this point.     

New report out today the world's glaciers are melting at an ever faster rate. Even talk about it causing further change to the Earth's axis. Already the North and South Pole have moved. Glacier melt has gained momentum.

26 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

New report out today the world's glaciers are melting at an ever faster rate. Even talk about it causing further change to the Earth's axis. Already the North and South Pole have moved. Glacier melt has gained momentum.

Where are the catastrophic coastal and island impacts?   Florida seems exactly the same as before.  No islands have disappeared that I’m aware of.

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

Where are the catastrophic coastal and island impacts?   Florida seems exactly the same as before.  No islands have disappeared that I’m aware of.

Talk to Miami officials dealing with the King tides and beach erosion just about everywhere.

FL recently passed a bill giving hundreds of millions of dollars to coastal cities up and down the Atlantic and Gulf side in order to mitigate rising seas/flooding.

Miami has raised streets over 3 feet and will have to do it again.

When I moved to FL in 2017, I deliberately bought inland so that I didn't have to have a home on stilts and get emergency alert to leave any time wind speeds got over 30mph. 

Water always wins, and common sense should tell you the melting ice has to go somewhere. Even the  conservatives in Talahassee seem to see what is unfolding in FL when it comes to global warming.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Talk to Miami officials dealing with the King tides and beach erosion just about everywhere.

FL recently passed a bill giving hundreds of millions of dollars to coastal cities up and down the Atlantic and Gulf side in order to mitigate rising seas/flooding.

Miami has raised streets over 3 feet and will have to do it again.

When I moved to FL in 2017, I deliberately bought inland so that I didn't have to have a home on stilts and get emergency alert to leave any time wind speeds got over 30mph. 

Water always wins, and common sense should tell you the melting ice has to go somewhere. Even the  conservatives in Talahassee seem to see what is unfolding in FL when it comes to global warming.

Also Google island nations to be lost in next 25 years. The Bahamas is one of them. A couple smaller Hawaiian islands have disappeared along with some Solomon islands. 

Melting ice is also causing more evaporation resulting in stronger storms/hurricanes and more of them battering coasts worldwide.

June 1 is coming up fast and the Gulf coast from TX to FL is in the way. Good luck Galveston, Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, and Panama City. Houston floods with rain only. Fl Keys has never recovered from Irma and Punta Gorda is still not fully recovered from 2005 hurricane. Forget Mexico Beach.

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Even the  conservatives in Talahassee seem to see what is unfolding in FL when it comes to global warming.

FordBuyer sir, have government officials in Florida thought about implementing ZEV mandates similar to California's or Washington State's? Florida is the 3rd largest market for new car and light truck retail sales in the U.S., so any actions Florida takes to de-carbonize transportation there would be very good.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

FordBuyer sir, have government officials in Florida thought about implementing ZEV mandates similar to California's or Washington State's? Florida is the 3rd largest market for new car and light truck retail sales in the U.S., so any actions Florida takes to de-carbonize transportation there would be very good.

No, they are focused on rising tides only. And a solar initiative was voted down a couple years ago. Neighbors with pools use solar for heating pools only. 

Hybrids, plugins, and BEVs sell well here, but no mandate to do so. We have DeSantis and Trump sitting in Palm Beach. Lots of people live on the coast and many of them have money, and money talks. 

• Thanks 1