California shakes up auto industry, says all vans and trucks must be electric by 2024

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Also Google island nations to be lost in next 25 years. The Bahamas is one of them. A couple smaller Hawaiian islands have disappeared along with some Solomon islands. 

Melting ice is also causing more evaporation resulting in stronger storms/hurricanes and more of them battering coasts worldwide.

June 1 is coming up fast and the Gulf coast from TX to FL is in the way. Good luck Galveston, Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, and Panama City. Houston floods with rain only. Fl Keys has never recovered from Irma and Punta Gorda is still not fully recovered from 2005 hurricane. Forget Mexico Beach.

Given all the ice that's already melted we should already be seeing islands disappear, not 25 years from now.   Beach erosion and flooding has been going on for decades and is partially due to increased development not a rise in sea level.

I'm not saying there is NO effect, but it's definitely not the catastrophe that global warming advocates had predicted and continue to predict.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, akirby said:

Given all the ice that's already melted we should already be seeing islands disappear, not 25 years from now.   Beach erosion and flooding has been going on for decades and is partially due to increased development not a rise in sea level.

I'm not saying there is NO effect, but it's definitely not the catastrophe that global warming advocates had predicted and continue to predict.

A good analogy is the frog in a pot on the stove as the temp goes up. Or how about 100 year floods that happen frequently now. Mother Nature has given us fair warning of what is to come if we do little to nothing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

A good analogy is the frog in a pot on the stove as the temp goes up. Or how about 100 year floods that happen frequently now. Mother Nature has given us fair warning of what is to come if we do little to nothing. 

What is causing the Mississippi to flood so often and so bad the last few years?  It sure as hell ain’t a rise in sea level.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Doh.  Off topic deleted.

Edited by slemke

12 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

Even in California it doesn't work for everyone!

https://insideevs.com/news/505232/study-evs-california-return-ice/

Lots of infrastructure needs to be built out.  And even then, debatable whether public charging will be appealing.  It doesn’t seem to be from that study.  The one big thing Tesla has/had going for it was the charging network and free charging for model S and X.  Free fuel drove many of those early sales to my engineering friends.  I’ll bet a good number of those not returning to buy an EV had compliance EVs.  The ones with Leafs that I knew went back to gas or (eventually) a model 3.  I just don’t see many leafs on the road...about the same as the new Mach e.  Tesla’s are everywhere.

2 hours ago, slemke said:

The ones with Leafs that I knew went back to gas or (eventually) a model 3.  I just don’t see many leafs on the road...about the same as the new Mach e.  Tesla’s are everywhere.

Nissan got lazy and failed to keep Leaf competitive. For the under $40k price point, Chevy Bolt, Hyundai Kona EV, Kia Niro EV, and especially Tesla Model 3 have surpassed Leaf in performance, range, features, and refinement.

Remains to be seen if Nissan can regain its footing in the BEV market with Ariya.

Edited by rperez817

7 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Nissan got lazy and failed to keep Leaf competitive. For the under $40k price point, Chevy Bolt, Hyundai Kona EV, Kia Niro EV, and especially Tesla Model 3 have surpassed Leaf in performance, range, features, and refinement.

Remains to be seen if Nissan can regain its footing in the BEV market with Ariya.

Most buyers around here bought leafs only because they were dirt cheap ($200/ month) thanks to a heavily subsidized lease.  When that went away so did sales.   Price is king.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, akirby said:

Most buyers around here bought leafs only because they were dirt cheap ($200/ month) thanks to a heavily subsidized lease.  When that went away so did sales.   Price is king.

Exactly.  The bad taste it left moved them on to hybrids or cheap gas vehicles.  I don’t see many bolts around here either, and GM is giving substantial deals to move them.  It’s Tesla or nothing.  Maybe the Mach e will change that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slemke said:

It’s Tesla or nothing.  Maybe the Mach e will change that.

Tesla is still ahead of the incumbent automakers in BEV design and engineering. But Mustang Mach-E is the best effort ever from the incumbents, the many industry awards Mach-E has won proves that.

Ford cannot afford to get complacent in its efforts to continuously improve that vehicle over time (like Nissan did with Leaf), or to relent in any way from its commitment to go "all-in" with BEV in general. The race has just begun. 

5 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Tesla is still ahead of the incumbent automakers in BEV design and engineering. But Mustang Mach-E is the best effort ever from the incumbents, the many industry awards Mach-E has won proves that.

Ford cannot afford to get complacent in its efforts to continuously improve that vehicle over time (like Nissan did with Leaf), or to relent in any way from its commitment to go "all-in" with BEV in general. The race has just begun. 

I would modify to say that Tesla is ahead in electric motor and battery design.  I don't think they are at the level of the legacy manufacturers on vehicle design.  Their software on the human interface is cool from a tech perspective but shows its lack of attention to human factors and human machine interface.  The range gap is not nearly as big as the EPA numbers would suggest especially as independent testing has shown that most Teslas fail to meet the stated EPA range while most others routinely exceed the EPA range.  Much of this has to do with conservatism/warranty cost considerations that Tesla doesn't account for or has data showing that it isn't a big deal, but there is also the fact that the manufacturers have to submit their own data to the EPA for review.  The EPA doesn't do its own testing.  I would bet that Tesla is pretty liberal with its interpretation of the rules around the factors they use while others take a more conservative approach.

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2020 at 4:51 PM, rperez817 said:

The government of Quebec announced yesterday that it is going to ban the sale of new ICE powered passenger cars and light trucks in that province starting in 2035, following California's announcement of a similar plan in September.

Not sure if Quebec will require like California that all vans and heavy duty trucks to be electric by then, though. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-canada-emissions/quebec-to-ban-sale-of-new-gasoline-powered-cars-from-2035-idUSKBN27W289

On June 29, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that Canada as a whole will ban the sale of new ICE powered passenger cars and light trucks throughout the country by 2035. As with Quebec's announcement in November 2020, this ban doesn't yet apply to commercial vans and trucks. https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canada-ban-sale-new-fuel-powered-cars-light-trucks-2035-2021-06-29/

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

On June 29, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that Canada as a whole will ban the sale of new ICE powered passenger cars and light trucks throughout the country by 2035. As with Quebec's announcement in November 2020, this ban doesn't yet apply to commercial vans and trucks. https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canada-ban-sale-new-fuel-powered-cars-light-trucks-2035-2021-06-29/

2035 is a ways away seems as though these governments are hell bent on eliminating ICE. Maybe by then there will be adequate infrastructure lol.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 9:01 PM, 7Mary3 said:

Can you imagine a 4X4 crew cab dually with 1,000 H.P. and 1000 ft. lbs. of torque, No DEF, SCR, EGR, doesn't need a 10 speed transmission, frequent oil changes, or fuel filter changes, has a decent range, can be 'refueled' anywhere including your own home, and could go 500,000 miles with little maintenance or repairs?  Oh yeah, and is cheaper to operate than an F-150.  Guess what- it's possible!    

Can you imagine that WTF head scratching moment upon reaching your beautiful backwoods boondock camping spot, with travel trailer in tow, wondering HTF am I  getting home?.... ?

Edited by Tncdrew

On 4/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, akirby said:

What is causing the Mississippi to flood so often and so bad the last few years?  It sure as hell ain’t a rise in sea level.

So you don't think many major rivers are connected to the oceans and Gulf? Didn't know that. 

58 minutes ago, Tncdrew said:

Can you imagine that WTF head scratching moment upon reaching your beautiful backwoods boondock camping spot, with travel trailer in tow, wondering HTF am I  getting home?.... ?

Hello, AAA?  I could use some help here,,,,,,

HRG

AAA-mobile-EV-charger.jpg

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

To suggest that Mississippi River floods are due to high Gulf levels is ridiculous. 

Where do you think most severe storms come from??? Northeasters originate in the Gulf and basically dump the Gulf on the contiguous United States. There is a correlation between rising seas and ever increasing rainfall amounts. Ask Houston and Louisiana about the Gulf. 

42 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Where do you think most severe storms come from??? Northeasters originate in the Gulf and basically dump the Gulf on the contiguous United States. There is a correlation between rising seas and ever increasing rainfall amounts. Ask Houston and Louisiana about the Gulf. 

https://www.wired.com/story/too-much-engineering-has-made-mississippi-river-floods-worse/

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

No. Check out annual rainfall amounts for various Midwest cities and you’ll find there isn’t a discernible trend higher or lower in recent years. 

16 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

No. Check out annual rainfall amounts for various Midwest cities and you’ll find there isn’t a discernible trend higher or lower in recent years. 

So do you have any more encouraging info as Hurricane Elsa bears down on my home dropping the ocean on me? Will maybe be 2nd hurricane in 4 years with Irma's eye coming right over my house. And I don't live within 90 miles of the ocean. People are already panic buying around here. And we still have 4 months to go with hurricane season. More ocean drops coming.