Thinking of buying an 2020 Edge - help?

LookingToBuyAFord

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering buying a mid-size SUV in preparation for our first (of hopefully a number of kids). We currently drive a 8 year old Ford Focus and a 10-11 year old similar sized other company hatchback. The plan is to get rid of the older car first and get a midsize SUV now and then in 3-4 years when the Focus gives out then buy something bigger than the midsize SUV. Just FYI, we are the type of people to drive a car until it dies/into the ground so we won't be trading in in 3-5 years (assuming nothing dramatic happens). FYI, my in-laws have an 2017-2018 Edge Titanium model and love it.

We drove an Edge (SEL - FWD - not our preferred trim but just to get a feel of the car) and the Santa Fe around this weekend for about 45 minutes each. The Edge felt really wide to drive but I would assume that would be the case with any bigger car when I am used to a small hatchback.

What we liked about the Edge:

• Way better looking interior than the Santa Fe - a lot sleeker. The Hyundai interior/center console is a mess with the infotainment screen stuck on top like an iPad and only controls the radio.

• Lots of cubby holes to put stuff.

• Bigger trunk space - important for us as baby comes with a lot of stuff.

• Salesperson is a family friend and might be able to work a great deal for us.

• More solidly built - when we drove the Hyundai around on bumpy roads, the rear seats shook.

What we didn't like about the Edge:

• Felt a little heavy to drive/turn - Santa Fe rode a little better and was more nimble (but it's 500 pounds lighter so it's to be expected).

• My wife likes the look of the Santa Fe exterior better (but she hated the interior as it seemed not as polished).

• To be honest, the Edge seems a little overpriced in general compared to the Santa Fe (although it's known that Ford likes to mark up their prices really high and then offer huge discounts).

• The warranty is not as good as Hyundai.

If we were to go with the Edge, we would be looking at the SEL trim with some options (no to the sunroof though). We have a number of questions for anyone:

1. What are some things you like about your Edge and what are some things you dislike about the Edge?

2. How fast does the A/C & heating kick in and how powerful is it? (aka when it's blisteringly hot or freezing cold). We live in Canada so we can expect both extremes.

3. For the seating material, how easy to clean/stain resistant are the regular cloth seats compared to the ActiveX fake-leather seats? Also, how comfortable are the ActiveX seats compared to the cloth ones?

4. Foot activated liftgate - how often do you use it compared to just clicking the button on the keyfob? To me, it would make sense to use it when I'm carrying something like groceries.

5. Wireless changing pad - how often do you use it and how annoying is taking the cover off of your cellphone in order to charge it? My wife said that she would only really use that feature when driving long distances but with a newborn baby, that might not happen as much as we think.

6. Has the fuel economy of your model gone up or down compared to the projected amount?

7. Reliability - has your Edge had any major reliability issues? My father-in-law has an 2017-2018 Edge Titanium and the only thing he's had is one recall for the weather stripping on the rear wheel wells. My wife has a 2012 Ford Focus with the major transmission issues and it's still not right (although it's never costed us anything). I'm a big believer in how you drive the car can determine the reliability too.

We are looking to spend a max of $35,000 USD/$48,000 CAD (taxes and fees included). We might also consider buying a new 2019 since it's basically the same car if we get a really good price on it.

Any thoughts you can give are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

14 hours ago, LookingToBuyAFord said:

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering buying a mid-size SUV in preparation for our first (of hopefully a number of kids). We currently drive a 8 year old Ford Focus and a 10-11 year old similar sized other company hatchback. The plan is to get rid of the older car first and get a midsize SUV now and then in 3-4 years when the Focus gives out then buy something bigger than the midsize SUV. Just FYI, we are the type of people to drive a car until it dies/into the ground so we won't be trading in in 3-5 years (assuming nothing dramatic happens). FYI, my in-laws have an 2017-2018 Edge Titanium model and love it.

We drove an Edge (SEL - FWD - not our preferred trim but just to get a feel of the car) and the Santa Fe around this weekend for about 45 minutes each. The Edge felt really wide to drive but I would assume that would be the case with any bigger car when I am used to a small hatchback.

What we liked about the Edge:

• Way better looking interior than the Santa Fe - a lot sleeker. The Hyundai interior/center console is a mess with the infotainment screen stuck on top like an iPad and only controls the radio.

• Lots of cubby holes to put stuff.

• Bigger trunk space - important for us as baby comes with a lot of stuff.

• Salesperson is a family friend and might be able to work a great deal for us.

• More solidly built - when we drove the Hyundai around on bumpy roads, the rear seats shook.

What we didn't like about the Edge:

• Felt a little heavy to drive/turn - Santa Fe rode a little better and was more nimble (but it's 500 pounds lighter so it's to be expected).

• My wife likes the look of the Santa Fe exterior better (but she hated the interior as it seemed not as polished).

• To be honest, the Edge seems a little overpriced in general compared to the Santa Fe (although it's known that Ford likes to mark up their prices really high and then offer huge discounts).

• The warranty is not as good as Hyundai.

If we were to go with the Edge, we would be looking at the SEL trim with some options (no to the sunroof though). We have a number of questions for anyone:

1. What are some things you like about your Edge and what are some things you dislike about the Edge?

2. How fast does the A/C & heating kick in and how powerful is it? (aka when it's blisteringly hot or freezing cold). We live in Canada so we can expect both extremes.

3. For the seating material, how easy to clean/stain resistant are the regular cloth seats compared to the ActiveX fake-leather seats? Also, how comfortable are the ActiveX seats compared to the cloth ones?

4. Foot activated liftgate - how often do you use it compared to just clicking the button on the keyfob? To me, it would make sense to use it when I'm carrying something like groceries.

5. Wireless changing pad - how often do you use it and how annoying is taking the cover off of your cellphone in order to charge it? My wife said that she would only really use that feature when driving long distances but with a newborn baby, that might not happen as much as we think.

6. Has the fuel economy of your model gone up or down compared to the projected amount?

7. Reliability - has your Edge had any major reliability issues? My father-in-law has an 2017-2018 Edge Titanium and the only thing he's had is one recall for the weather stripping on the rear wheel wells. My wife has a 2012 Ford Focus with the major transmission issues and it's still not right (although it's never costed us anything). I'm a big believer in how you drive the car can determine the reliability too.

We are looking to spend a max of $35,000 USD/$48,000 CAD (taxes and fees included). We might also consider buying a new 2019 since it's basically the same car if we get a really good price on it.

Any thoughts you can give are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Hey There,

I'll start things off. Glad to help in the search.

I just got a 2020 Edge ST at the end of February. First off, I'm a Ford loyalist, and not necessarily for the same reason as generations of Ford owners you'll meet. I came from a GM family. In my adulthood I've owned 4 Ford Fusions since picking out my first one, a 2008, back in late 2007. Since then I've been so impressed by not only the vehicles that Ford makes, but the way they move forward with technology, safety, and design, and how they take care of me as a customer. I'm also a lover of the company and how they take care of the communities they serve, from marginalized populations and social outreach to giving back and helping those who are unfairly treated to helping care for the planet and maintain it. All those things have kept me a loyal Ford buyer, and truly I love supporting them as an American/North American company.

Now, for the car itself. I'm equally in love with the Edge ST I just got and I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability:

1.) I LOVE the solid feeling when driving the vehicle. What you're feeling is a good thing, not a bad thing. It's safe on the road, firmly planted, and makes me feel like I own whatever pavement I'm on. It's not so light that the wind blows it around and the seats shake but it's also not so heavy that it doesn't move when coaxed. You don't want a crossover that flips around at any given slight turn of the wheel.

2.) If you package an Edge just right, the exterior look definitely rivals any of the competitors on the market. Get an SEL with the standard wheels and I can see why you might prefer the look of a Santa Fe (with the exception of that alien looking front end). If you don't want the sportier ST-Line (just launched) or the full bang ST I recommend the Edge Titanium. The standard equipment list makes more sense for the money and considering you'll have this car for a long time, and like you said, the incentives on these vehicles are outstanding and might actually get you where you want to be with your cost on a Titanium. The Titanium also comes standard with larger 19" rims which fill the wheel wells nicely and give the vehicle a much more compliant ride.

3.) What I love about my Edge is a pretty long list but I'll give some highlights, knowing that my ST will have some items that I can't compare to any of the other trims: The height and presence on the road, coming from a sedan, is amazing; the cargo area is expansive; the fold down seats are easy to collapse and add so much room (best in class); the seats are comfortable and built to last; the LED lighting everywhere is amazing, bright, and looks great; all the engines are gutsy; the keyless entry keypad is still a fan favorite and has saved me many times; the smart app for starting the vehicle at any time from anywhere works flawlessly; the onboard WiFi is priceless; the nooks and crannies and cavernous center console are invaluable; the Sync 3 technology is the best I've ever used in any car I've rented, owned, or driven...by far; the smart technology and standard safety features make me feel safe all the time...every time I drive...and I still get amazed every time they sense, or see, or guide, or warn.

4.) With auto-start and/or the FordPass app, the car will be plenty warm or cool during winter and summer months long before you even open the car door. I live in Michigan so can appreciate the bitter cold and right now the 90º summer sun. Heating and Cooling will not be a problem, especially with the heated seats and steering wheel (and with the Titanium the addition of cooled seats is an option).

5.) ActiveX is an amazing technology and is far more comfortable than cloth in any situation. Cloth seats tend to flatten out over time (and hold so many more odors, stains, and debris) and the bolstering in both the leather and activeX seats is much more solid and long-lasting. The activeX is an engineered leather with technology behind it that gives it the benefits of real leather like ease of cleaning and comfort, without added expense or use of animal hides and the dye-laden tanning process.

6.) Foot activated lift gate is awesome, once you get used to where it's positioned under the bumper. I use it all the time because it's so simple. I rarely use the key fob (or button on the hatch) unless I'm approaching the car from a distance with a cart and need it open by the time I get there (in the rain for example).

7.) All Qi (pronounced Chi) enabled wireless charging pads are designed for phones with and without cases, so no big deal there. I tend not to need to charge my phone in the car that often due to short drives around the city, but for a long drive it's really nice. I can tuck my phone away which keeps it out of view while making sure it's charged and ready to go. When just driving around the city, that area tends to be used for other items that I don't want tucked away in the center console between home and work, like face masks, gum, and the things I need frequently.

8.) Fuel economy, I won't even go there. My ST was NOT bought for gas conservation.

9.) 0 reliability issues thus far, however, 0 reliability issues on all 4 prior Ford Fusions with which the Edge shares a platform. My prior models were 2 Fusion SELs, and 2 Fusion Titaniums, the latter 3 all had all-wheel drive and either the older V-6's or the newer Ecoboost 4's. I had a minor transmission issue on my 2014 Ecoboost, but it was fixed under warranty to full resolution.

As for 2019 vs. 2020, there are little to no changes that are perceptible to the naked eye, with the exception of some color differences, packaging, and that square space on the top of the dash above the Sync screen. In 2019's it was a curved cubby with a pop-up lid. In 2020's it's just an open tray. I can see the benefit of both but prefer the open tray in mine for cellphone, a drive-thru bag, keys, etc. It's also a good shelf to set an extra drink or bottle on if the 2 cup holders are in use (while the car is parked that is).

I will admit I can't be totally objective because even though Hyundai has come a long way, I don't follow them. I do know however that they are not made for the long haul, regardless of their warranty offerings. I know prior Hyundai owners, I say prior because they didn't buy a 2nd one! Personally, I'd rather pay for a repair after warranty expiration and get it done right the first time, than continue to take a vehicle under warranty back to a dealership for repeat warranty work. It's a balance of time and money. Sure a free repair is great, but if I have to go back over and over again, eventually I'd rather have paid and had it done right the first time. Warranties are also wrought with red tape and hidden restrictions so sometimes they are used more as a marketing gimmick than anything substantial. Hyundais tend to be wrought with mechanical issues and their quality and fit and finish do not stand the test of time. Ford is doing great things as a company and the Edge has consistently been highly rated among Ford vehicles in owner satisfaction, safety, and quality. It also has few to no open recalls and reliability is high. Your parents-in-law love it for a reason, and there's never a wrong time to drive the same car as your in-laws, especially with children to cart around. It makes it easier for you to switch cars when the need arises and makes moving car seats much less of a hassle. Also, if they get to the point where they want to upgrade in a couple years, you could get first dibs and buy a vehicle from them you're already familiar with on many levels!

Good Luck!

TT

23 hours ago, LookingToBuyAFord said:

These all apply to a 2016 Edge.

1.  Trunk lighting sucks

2. Both the A/C and heat work very well.  That car gets heat faster than anything I have ever owned.

3. My wife and I both dislike leather/fake leather.  We DID purchase and SEL with cloth seats.  Very nice.  Consider a something like Scothguard.

4. No foot activated or power lift gate.  Maybe an important feature for people with very young children.

7. Coming up on 4 years.  It has NOT been back to a dealer since the day we drove it off the lot.

One of the big reasons for choosing the Edge was the adult sized rear seats and the large trunk and split fold down rear seats.  I have had 3 average sized adults in the back for trips over 1 hour and have not had any complaints.

I will agree the trunk lighting is minimal. The light placement deeper in the cargo area on the lower side wall gets covered too easily if you have anything towards the back. They needed to add something to the hatch that shines down when it's open or put the light higher up on the side walls so it's not easily buried. Then again, over the course of ownership, you're not going to be in your trunk at night all that much, unless you only shop for things/hike/travel with family in the dark.

Side note, the panoramic moonroof is one of the most amazing features I've ever seen on any car. I forgot to mention that above. It stretches so far back and is so wide that you have a hard time seeing where it stops even when turning your head around from the driver's seat, and the open air driving and exposure to more sunlight (which we all need up here in the North) is reminiscent of driving a Jeep Wrangler with the top off. When not needed, the shade does a great job of blocking all light.

TT

I didn't mention this in the other thread about the Edge, but the halogen lighting is really bad.  After coming out of my Ranger into my wife's Edge SEL, I always have to look down at the switch to make sure the lights are even turned on.  If possible (I know not likely) try test driving overnight if possible and see what you think of it at night.  Otherwise, love the Edge and everything about it.  No issues so far in 2+ years.

I have a 19 Edge ST and like it a lot. With the ST, it has a lot more power and the handling is probably crisper than the SEL. However, the SEL probably rides a bit smoother.

I live in Phoenix and its in the low 100's and A/C cools very quickly.

I usually use the button on the lift gate or the fob to open it. I use the foot operated feature when I have my arms loaded with groceries to close it and it works well.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 9S phone with a hard case on it and no need to remove the case for charging.

I've had it 14 months and no issues at all.

Some minor decontenting that I've noticed on the 2019s vs the 2020s:

-The dual note horn went away for 2020

-The CD slot was deleted for 2020

-The storage compartment lid above the touchscreen was deleted on the 2020s

-Insulation was present under the hood on the 2019s but is not there on the 2020.

That said, these are fairly minor items. My 2020 is so far the favorite of all the vehicles I've owned. I love the solid, planted feel, comfortable interior and excellent LED headlights that come on the Titanium 401A package.

The A/C is VERY cold and cools rapidly. I haven't had an opportunity to use the heat yet.

For fuel economy, I've actually gotten BETTER mileage than my previous Escape, also with the 2.0L. I averaged 29.1 mpg on a recent road trip that included traversing 2 mountain passes! 

No issues yet, although a slight rattle has developed in the rear passenger door.

Edited by Alex D.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments. We are getting closer, just deciding whether on a few things:

1) Is the Convenience Package (wireless pad, navigation system, universal garage door opener, foot activated liftgate, power outlet - we are debating this.

- Wireless pad - I would love but my wife wouldn't really use because of the USB charger and she doesn't really take the case off of her phone much.

- Nav system - Irrelevant to us as we would use AppleCarPlay/AndroidAuto and use a Map app.

- Universal Garage Door Opener - again not much difference because a little garage opener hanging off the vanity mirror is something we both have currently.

- Foot activated Liftgate - Big item here - it's possible we would use it but a lot of the time for grocery shopping, we bring the cart out.

- 150W power plug - meh

2) Should we think about an extended warranty package?

3) Looking at bigger delivery discount and pay a little interest vs pay 0% interest and get less of a discount. To me, a lower total price is more important than less interest (speaking as an accountant).

From reading, it looks like the SEL comes with LEDs as part of Package 201A (Canada)?

41 minutes ago, Alex D. said:

-Insulation was present under the hood on the 2019s but is not there on the 2020.

No issues yet, although a slight rattle has developed in the rear passenger door.

1) What do you mean by CD slot? My wife commented that in her parents 2017-2018 Edge, in the center console/armrest, the mini shallow tray  clicked up when you lifted the armrest to get into the lower storage bin. Now it's just a tray that you need to move out of the way. It seems a little silly that they changed that.

2) What did the insulation under the hood do? Or was this a cost cutting measure by Ford?

3) How many miles/kilometres are on your Edge so far?

37 minutes ago, Alex D. said:

That said, these are fairly minor items. My 2020 is so far the favorite of all the vehicles I've owned. I love the solid, planted feel, comfortable interior and excellent LED headlights that come on the Titanium 401A package.

The A/C is VERY cold and cools rapidly. I haven't had an opportunity to use the heat yet.

For fuel economy, I've actually gotten BETTER mileage than my previous Escape, also with the 2.0L. I averaged 29.1 mpg on a recent road trip that included traversing 2 mountain passes! 

Alex,

About that dual note horn. I posted about that in a separate thread. I actually got around that issue on my 2020 Edge ST. The mount in the 2020's is a 2 horn mount even though only 1 horn is present. I had my service dept look at it after I did, it's easily visible under the hood. When I ordered the 2020 part number from the parts dept it came as a dual note setup so it was replaced in my car immediately within the first week of ownership covered under warranty.

As for the open tray at the top of the dash, I've thought about that too but ultimately I have used the open tray for so many things that a curved bin cover wouldn't have allowed, like doggie bags from restaurants, to go items from the drive through, keys, phones, and other things that it's nice to be able to just lay there quickly without opening a cover that may or may not open high enough.

Also love my 2020 ST!

Is your Titanium equipped with the new monochromatic premium package? (can't remember the name of it) I love the look of it and the new 2020 rims included with it!

TT

22 minutes ago, LookingToBuyAFord said:

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments. We are getting closer, just deciding whether on a few things:

1) Is the Convenience Package (wireless pad, navigation system, universal garage door opener, foot activated liftgate, power outlet - we are debating this.

- Wireless pad - I would love but my wife wouldn't really use because of the USB charger and she doesn't really take the case off of her phone much.

- Nav system - Irrelevant to us as we would use AppleCarPlay/AndroidAuto and use a Map app.

- Universal Garage Door Opener - again not much difference because a little garage opener hanging off the vanity mirror is something we both have currently.

- Foot activated Liftgate - Big item here - it's possible we would use it but a lot of the time for grocery shopping, we bring the cart out.

- 150W power plug - meh

2) Should we think about an extended warranty package?

3) Looking at bigger delivery discount and pay a little interest vs pay 0% interest and get less of a discount. To me, a lower total price is more important than less interest (speaking as an accountant).

From reading, it looks like the SEL comes with LEDs as part of Package 201A (Canada)?

1) What do you mean by CD slot? My wife commented that in her parents 2017-2018 Edge, in the center console/armrest, the mini shallow tray  clicked up when you lifted the armrest to get into the lower storage bin. Now it's just a tray that you need to move out of the way. It seems a little silly that they changed that.

2) What did the insulation under the hood do? Or was this a cost cutting measure by Ford?

3) How many miles/kilometres are on your Edge so far?

The CD slot (aka CD player) is no more.

As for the center console, I think the reason they did away with the double trays that clicked open independently was either cost-cutting or complaints and warranty issues because the mechanism was prone to issues or breakage.

Insulation deletion sounds like cost-cutting to me. Under the hood it would either muffle the engine compartment noise or make the hood itself stiffer and less prone to fluttering when driving. I have a 2020, don't even worry about it. It's a completely unnecessary item.

As for the wireless charging pad I posted previously that Qi chargers charge the same regardless of phone cases, that's the beauty of them. That would be an awful design flaw otherwise, especially for people with OtterBox cases!

Good Luck!

TT

Edited by TobyTime

I should have been more clear about the CD slot. TobyTime nailed it. A CD player slot was present just below the touchscreen in the 2019s, but this silently went away for 2020. Just like TobyTime said, the under hood insulation is there to reduce engine noise, but the engine is so quiet anyway it's a moot point. 

I have about 1,600 miles on my odometer so far.

TobyTime, I don't have the Titanium Elite Package with the 20" wheels. I was one day too late! My dealer sold one the previous day, and that's the one I was looking to purchase. I really like the red leather seats that the Titanium Elite Package includes as well.

Otherwise mine has the 401A package with the 19" wheels. I do have a fairly rare Atlas Blue color and like it quite a bit so far. I Love your ST! I was close to pulling the trigger on those as well but they're a bit more than I wanted to spend.

8 hours ago, Alex D. said:

I should have been more clear about the CD slot. TobyTime nailed it. A CD player slot was present just below the touchscreen in the 2019s, but this silently went away for 2020. Just like TobyTime said, the under hood insulation is there to reduce engine noise, but the engine is so quiet anyway it's a moot point. 

I have about 1,600 miles on my odometer so far.

TobyTime, I don't have the Titanium Elite Package with the 20" wheels. I was one day too late! My dealer sold one the previous day, and that's the one I was looking to purchase. I really like the red leather seats that the Titanium Elite Package includes as well.

Otherwise mine has the 401A package with the 19" wheels. I do have a fairly rare Atlas Blue color and like it quite a bit so far. I Love your ST! I was close to pulling the trigger on those as well but they're a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Alex,

Bummer on missing the Elite! Are you in Canada? I don't recall red leather on the Titanium Elite Pkg here in the U.S.

That would be a lot of red!

As for my ST, I got a great deal! The incentives were close to $5,000 off so I couldn't pass it up. I ordered it from the factory with the 21" black rims (which are rare here in West Michigan) and black exterior. It's awesome! I named it "Sirius Black"...?

TT

1 hour ago, TobyTime said:

Alex,

Bummer on missing the Elite! Are you in Canada? I don't recall red leather on the Titanium Elite Pkg here in the U.S.

That would be a lot of red!

As for my ST, I got a great deal! The incentives were close to $5,000 off so I couldn't pass it up. I ordered it from the factory with the 21" black rims (which are rare here in West Michigan) and black exterior. It's awesome! I named it "Sirius Black"...?

TT

Dig the name! I'm in Idaho. Granted, I haven't seen the Titanium Elite seats in person, so I'm not sure if it would be too much red or not. To be sure, if a person doesn't like Red, they'd probably want to avoid the Elite package. Here's a snippet of that interior on the Elite package from Ford build and price:

image.thumb.png.aacbb950ec20ea2cd9f74e39d27286c2.png

43 minutes ago, Alex D. said:

Dig the name! I'm in Idaho. Granted, I haven't seen the Titanium Elite seats in person, so I'm not sure if it would be too much red or not. To be sure, if a person doesn't like Red, they'd probably want to avoid the Elite package. Here's a snippet of that interior on the Elite package from Ford build and price:

image.thumb.png.aacbb950ec20ea2cd9f74e39d27286c2.png

Ah yes, I've seen the pictures of that on the website but I see a brownish color rather than a wine-like color. It's so hard to determine colors well on a computer screen. The fact that it is combined with the black though makes it much more appealing. I was envisioning seats that were 100% red everywhere, like true red.

TT

1 hour ago, Alex D. said:

I'd love to see one in person, but there's not one within a 3 hour drive of me right now haha.

Actually just saw one at my dealership today. They have a gray titanium elite on the showroom floor. The leather inserts in question are a darker wine color with a brownish tint. Not too crazy.

TT

59 minutes ago, Texasopa said:

I have a 2020 Elite package. The seats are more brown then red. I also like the different grill.

20200615_141009.jpg

20200615_141805.jpg

YASSS! This is so hot I may have to go outside to cool down! I also LOVE that new Titanium Elite grill! Makes my ST want a TE in the garage next to it! :)

TT

So we have gone to a number of dealers and gotten some prices and started to play them against each other.

What sort of thing is usual for dealers to throw in as an incentive (other than to lower the price more) - i.e. tint, mudflaps, free oil changes, etc? Any other examples?

Edited by LookingToBuyAFord

If anyone offers tint or mud-flaps...run...haha.

My dealership always throws in the 1st and 2nd row winter mats if the vehicle wasn't shipped with them as an option, so that's a nice bonus up here in winter-land. My first oil change is always free so maybe if they know you're price comparing, ask about free maintenance for your first year or something. Ultimately I'd get each offer in writing from each dealership. Then decide which dealership is the most reliable and highest rated. If that dealership comes in with a higher price, tell them you'd really prefer to go with them because of their good reputation and wonder if they could price match what the other dealership(s) has quoted. Also mention your willingness to spread the word and refer other people to your salesperson and the dealership itself. That might make your price a bit more appealing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 7:30 PM, TobyTime said:

If anyone offers tint or mud-flaps...run...haha.

My dealership always throws in the 1st and 2nd row winter mats if the vehicle wasn't shipped with them as an option, so that's a nice bonus up here in winter-land. My first oil change is always free so maybe if they know you're price comparing, ask about free maintenance for your first year or something. Ultimately I'd get each offer in writing from each dealership. Then decide which dealership is the most reliable and highest rated. If that dealership comes in with a higher price, tell them you'd really prefer to go with them because of their good reputation and wonder if they could price match what the other dealership(s) has quoted. Also mention your willingness to spread the word and refer other people to your salesperson and the dealership itself. That might make your price a bit more appealing.

In terms of vehicle price, one of the dealerships is $820 cheaper than the other two. So we'll start with that.

I would assume that Ford dealers offer bigger discounts when you buy a F150 vs an Edge because of how many they sell.

Edited by LookingToBuyAFord