Thinking of buying an 2020 Edge - help?

LookingToBuyAFord

12 minutes ago, LookingToBuyAFord said:

So our preferred dealer matched the lower price but we were thinking of asking for some extras included. Would snow tires be too greedy? Or should we stick to the full tank/mad flaps/etc?

You can ask, but expect a no....but, you gotta be ready to buy right then and there...."Throw in a set of snow's and I'll buy it right now..." and take your check book (or credit card) out for effect.

3 hours ago, LookingToBuyAFord said:

So our preferred dealer matched the lower price but we were thinking of asking for some extras included. Would snow tires be too greedy? Or should we stick to the full tank/mad flaps/etc?

Hi LTBAF. As twintornados stated, you can ask, but expect a no. At least on that large of an ask. But it usually doesn't hurt to ask.

Quality snow tires are not an inexpensive item. Four good quality snow tires would probably run ~$600-$800 (and you do not want cheap ones). So you are essentially asking your "preferred dealer" to meet the other Dealers low offer and then beat it by another ~$600-$800 (the cost of the snow tires). Yes, I realize their cost would be less than the selling price, but the comparison/equivalency is still accurate.

A full tank of gas should be automatically given to you anyway, so I would say asking for an extra like mudflaps etc., would be a more reasonable request. Or ask them to throw in a few complementary oil changes/tire rotations.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

• 3 months later...

So we've had the Edge SEL for 3 months and we love it.

Great:

-Smooth ride.

-Comfy inside (ActiveX).

-Kick tailgate (Convenience package).

-Holds lots of stuff.

Not so great:

-The hood feels like it's going to fly off (yes I have shut it properly).

-SiriusXM is not great (a lot of the channels blend together).

-Headlights are not very good at night (SEL trim)

-Audio system is just meh, nothing special.

39 minutes ago, LookingToBuyAFord said:

So we've had the Edge SEL for 3 months and we love it.

Great:

-Smooth ride.

-Comfy inside (ActiveX).

-Kick tailgate (Convenience package).

-Holds lots of stuff.

Not so great:

-The hood feels like it's going to fly off (yes I have shut it properly).

-SiriusXM is not great (a lot of the channels blend together).

-Headlights are not very good at night (SEL trim)

-Audio system is just meh, nothing special.

Hey thanks for the update on the SEL after 3 months! I agree about the hood 100%! In their quest to lighten the vehicle they made the hood a bit too flimsy. I do LOVE that it is propped by hydraulics instead of a prop rod though! Not sure if that's just an ST thing but it's so nice.

As for Sirius, I've kept my subscription over the years and have found many favorite channels. Does your free trial have every channel in the lineup included? There are so many.

I can't speak to the headlights since yours and mine differ but if you don't drive with your fog lights all the time, do. They help a lot. Do you have LED headlights on that trim?

As for the stereos in Fords, yes, I have learned over the years always go with the trim that has an upgraded stereo (a la Sony, B&O, etc) as the stock ones are hot garbage. My last Explorer had what they called the "upgraded" audio system in the XLT 202A package or whatever it was, and it was absolutely shameful. Not an ounce of bass at all. I think the "upgrade" merely added two tweeters and zero quality. Ha.

TT

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, LookingToBuyAFord said:

Well, owned it 4 months and got my first recall letter - something to do with the rear camera potentially not working? 

Yep. Just took mine in this week to have it done. They replace the front (if equipped) and rear cameras. As stated above, the supplier of said cameras supplied flawed parts. I never had issues with either of mine but some people state they black out and have image display/quality issues.

TT

• 6 months later...
On 1/8/2021 at 11:27 AM, TobyTime said:

Yep. Just took mine in this week to have it done. They replace the front (if equipped) and rear cameras. As stated above, the supplier of said cameras supplied flawed parts. I never had issues with either of mine but some people state they black out and have image display/quality issues.

TT

A year with the Edge, I can say that we are happy with it outside of a few annoyances.

Quick question, does anyone notice that the car really chugs the gas when with the AC on?

3 hours ago, LookingToBuyAFord said:

A year with the Edge, I can say that we are happy with it outside of a few annoyances.

Quick question, does anyone notice that the car really chugs the gas when with the AC on?

Not sure to be honest. I haven't paid attention. It definitely will with the A/C running, however, to what extent I don't know. It will vary of course between vehicles and owners, but I can say that I've never once used the "Max A/C" button which would cause the largest draw. I live in Michigan where the summer heat can definitely be hot but the normal A/C setting is more than sufficient most everywhere. If you tend to use "Max A/C" at all try not doing so, and see if that helps at all.

TT

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, LookingToBuyAFord said:

Anyone else notice that the Auto On/Off is very picky about when it actually works or says "no I'm good, I won't turn it off even though you're idling"?

You can toggle the display to show you why it isn’t activated.  Usually it’s battery charging or climate control.

• 4 months later...