2021 Cadillac XT6 addes new base trim/powertrain

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/29/2021-cadillac-xt6-updates/

The 2021 Cadillac XT6 has been announced, and the three-row crossover is going through a few notable changes in its second model year. There’s a new base trim and base engine, and Cadillac has added tech features to improve the experience.

Starting with the new engine: It’s the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that was initially introduced in the XT4 as the base motor. Power output is the same as the compact crossover at 237 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. It’s paired with the nine-speed automatic transmission and comes with front-wheel drive as standard — all-wheel drive is optional.

In addition to the new standard engine, Cadillac is adding a Luxury trim (pictured above) to the lineup as a base model to compliment the Sport and Premium Luxury trims. This will be the cheapest and most basic of the XT6s, but you can still option all-wheel drive. Features include 18-inch wheels, the eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system, black leatherette seats (heated and powered in front), brushed aluminum trim, tri-zone climate control and a number of other smaller extras along with a suite of driver assistance technologies.

Cadillac is also adding wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto to the lineup as standard equipment — they were standard previously but required the traditional wired connection. There’s also a new 20-inch wheel for the Sport model, and three new color options: Dark Moon Blue Metallic, Wilder and Infrared Tintcoat.

The XT6 Luxury’s base price is $48,990. That’s a fair cut below the 2020 Premium Luxury ($53,690) and the Sport ($58,090) trims, but you are losing out on the additional equipment and luxury those trims offer. Cadillac says the updated 2021 XT6 will land in dealerships this fall.

12 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Basically they said "we can't compete with Aviator, so let's add a lower trim to pad the sales numbers."

Not sure it needs padding since according to sales stats, XT6 is outselling Aviator... But I'm wondering where Cadillac is selling these because I haven't seen one on the road in the year since they went on sales. Meanwhile, I see Aviator on a semi-regular basis here in Los Angeles.

I suspect the base engine is really there for CAFE window dressing... Just like the 2.0 in Chevy Traverse, GM is going to sell just enough of XT6 2.0 (maybe mostly to rental fleets like the Traverse 2.0) to make sure it rounds up the CAFE by 0.01 or something silly like that.

Ford took the opposite approach with Aviator and is using the PHEV credit to smooth out its CAFE.

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

Not sure it needs padding since according to sales stats, XT6 is outselling Aviator... But I'm wondering where Cadillac is selling these because I haven't seen one on the road in the year since they went on sales. Meanwhile, I see Aviator on a semi-regular basis here in Los Angeles.

I suspect the base engine is really there for CAFE window dressing... Just like the 2.0 in Chevy Traverse, GM is going to sell just enough of XT6 2.0 (maybe mostly to rental fleets like the Traverse 2.0) to make sure it rounds up the CAFE by 0.01 or something silly like that.

Ford took the opposite approach with Aviator and is using the PHEV credit to smooth out its CAFE.

How much cheaper is XT6?  That usually determines sales volume.

19 hours ago, bzcat said:

I think I've seen a few in my area, but seem to have noticed more Aviators also, they are also are more distinctive vehicle.

Also given how the Explorer/Aviator launch went last year and the COVID situation this year so far, I think we need another year or two of data to actually how well both are selling. I can't find XT6 sales on goodcarbadcar.net 

14 hours ago, sullynd said:

Does Caddy have a bigger dealer footprint?

If I were a Lincoln buyer my issue would be the only dealer nearby is inside the Ford store I drive thirty minutes away from to avoid. 

Yes, they do.   I don't know actual numbers, but I remember years ago reading about how many dealers Cadillac had and how many Lincoln had.

The XT6 isn't a bad vehicle, but it has no real "presence," which is crucial for a luxury vehicle. The Lincoln Aviator does have it. 

I saw a Hyundai Palisade today, and it has more presence and style than the XT6. That is the real problem here. It's painfully apparent that Hyundai put more thought and effort into the Palisade than GM did into the XT6. 

23 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. 2Q 2020 sales results should be released soon.

GM reported 9,205 XT6 sold in the U.S. for 1st half of 2020. It was the third among all Cadillac models in sales volume after XT5 and Escalade. https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/jul/0701-gmsales.html

Ford and Lincoln sales for this period should be released within the next few business days.

38 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

GM reported 9,205 XT6 sold in the U.S. for 1st half of 2020. It was the third among all Cadillac models in sales volume after XT5 and Escalade. https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/jul/0701-gmsales.html

Ford and Lincoln sales for this period should be released within the next few business days.

Aviator. 9682

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1