7.3L V8 Godzilla now available as crate engine.

50 minutes ago, Stray Kat said:

Fair enough but an open slot won’t be filled by a crushed head gasket? There’s more to the story. Gotta be. 

No, the slot was easier for Ford to machine than trying to make an accurate void between the cylinders.

The slot is probably for coolant flow to keep the top piston ring from failing in the 100 hour/ 100% load dyno test.

the design has oil squirters for the underside of the pistons to cool them. 
In regard to a smaller unit, I could see a 6.3 liter aluminum block version with a deck of around 9” if ford wants to throw everything at it for F150/ Raptor but I doubt it because ecoboost reduces CO2 on average by 15% for a given level of performance and this by itself is very important to ford.

Im sure an ecoboost 3.5 is more expensive to manufacture than a 6.2 LT V8 from GM!

edselford

1 hour ago, Stray Kat said:

Okay so how does coolant flow through this slot? I’m having a hard time picturing this. 

From what I gather it doesn't flow through, it's just there to  increase the  surface area

for the coolant to pick up the heat in that area.

Edited by jpd80

On 7/4/2020 at 1:46 PM, jpd80 said:

From what I gather it doesn't flow through, it's just there to  increase the  surface area

for the coolant to pick up the heat in that area.

I think coolant does actually flow through that slot.  It's open to the block water passage on the inboard side, and lines up with a coolant hole in the head on the outboard side.

9 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I think coolant does actually flow through that slot.  It's open to the block water passage on the inboard side, and lines up with a coolant hole in the head on the outboard side.

Good pickup, I think Stray Kat was confused about water flowing  "through" as in one side of the block to the other.

• Like 1

Maybe the way ford did the slot, one side open and the other end closed, makes the design more robust and avoids the mess they have with the 2.0 ecoboost.

The recent reprogramming of my wife’s 2017 escape, I assume either reduces boost or reduces boost after a short period of time, ie cant really fix the problematic design. I think that 2 liter comes from fords England engine plant.

There is a slot machined into the Chrysler/FCA 3.6 V6 all the way across but this engine has not been turbocharged!
edselford

18 minutes ago, edselford said:

Maybe the way ford did the slot, one side open and the other end closed, makes the design more robust and avoids the mess they have with the 2.0 ecoboost.

The recent reprogramming of my wife’s 2017 escape, I assume either reduces boost or reduces boost after a short period of time, ie cant really fix the problematic design. I think that 2 liter comes from fords England engine plant.

There is a slot machined into the Chrysler/FCA 3.6 V6 all the way across but this engine has not been turbocharged!
edselford

Did you receive a recall for the reprogramming on your Escape?

We have a 2017 2.0 Escape also.....don't remember getting anything on this.....don't want to miss anything.

45 minutes ago, akirby said:

Obviously they were needed otherwise they wouldn’t be failing.

I thought the slots were the cause of the failures, and revised blocks had drilled coolant passages that were not exposed to the block deck (4 cylinders)..

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

I thought the slots were the cause of the failures, and revised blocks had drilled coolant passages that were not exposed to the block deck (4 cylinders)..

To be honest I lost track of the actual issue and resolution.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 4:57 AM, twintornados said:

if they were to make a smaller "Godzilla" motor, adjust the stroke and the bore to come out to 5.8L...make it a range topper in F150 and base motor in Super Duty.

7.3L Godzilla bore 4.22 X stroke 3.98

5.8L Windsor bore 4.00 X stroke 3.50

5.8L Godzilla suggested bore 3.75 X stroke 3.75

That would make little sense, since the 6.2 has much better cylinder heads.  

On 7/1/2020 at 11:15 AM, 30 OTT 6 said:

The canted valve heads are a nice tip of the hat to the Cleveland heads. I'm surprised the el cheapo Ford accountants let that one slide.

7.3 Godzilla has run of the mill inline valve wedge heads.  

5 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Mary, jump to page 3, to see pics of the slot vs the drilled hole.   https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/68329-2018-25k-15l-eb-coolant-loss/&page=3

HRG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ESP08 said:

That would make little sense, since the 6.2 has much better cylinder heads.  

The 6.2 is ending in a year or so, 

Originally, we were shooting the breeze possibilities of a smaller Godzilla, although I suspect that with three power levels, the 7.3 can probably cover all needs.