Goodbye Continental

Sad though, but in retrospect, one of the highlights was the "Almost there" interior.  The "Almost there" performance.... but it tried to be so much, to too few. I believe if given another "cycle" it would have been a stellar product.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

Sad though, but in retrospect, one of the highlights was the "Almost there" interior.  The "Almost there" performance.... but it tried to be so much, to too few. I believe if given another "cycle" it would have been a stellar product.

I agree. It was a respectable effort. Maybe they can take what they did with the aviator and make another continental that is worthy of the name. Of course with the sedan market shrinking why do that? 

1 hour ago, fordtech1 said:

I agree. It was a respectable effort. Maybe they can take what they did with the aviator and make another continental that is worthy of the name. Of course with the sedan market shrinking why do that? 

Hopefully the name can be resurrected and used on some future BEV.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MKZMark said:

I have a hard time believing that Lincoln won't sell sedans.

In the past a luxury sedan was the only way to get true luxury and 4 doors because SUVs were still truck based and somewhat rough.   Now that we have crossovers with true luxury amenities and performance it's easy to see why people prefer them over sedans.

We might see them return but only after all the other new projects have run their course and Ford has excess resources available.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, akirby said:

In the past a luxury sedan was the only way to get true luxury and 4 doors because SUVs were still truck based and somewhat rough.   Now that we have crossovers with true luxury amenities and performance it's easy to see why people prefer them over sedans.

We might see them return but only after all the other new projects have run their course and Ford has excess resources available.

The Nautilus is a perfect height for me getting in and out of.  It keeps my back happy.  The sedans i test drove, Coni, MKZ, Lacrosse ect were too difficult to get out of.  The last MKX i drove was a 2017, the Nautilus has a much smoother ride, I'm happy with Lincoln's "new" direction. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, akirby said:

I always appreciate your insight, akirby.  Thank you.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 6:31 PM, ANTAUS said:

To this day, I still haven't seen one on the road. Only time I've seen them is at the dealer and I was a little disappointed by how small they are.

10 hours ago, ehaase said:

Too small for a Continental.  The car lacks presence. 

It's actually a big roomy car but it does lack presence. It needed to make more of a statement. I wonder if the Germans, Japanese, and Koreans will also cancel sedans? I doubt it. So why Ford?

2 hours ago, MKZMark said:

It's actually a big roomy car but it does lack presence. It needed to make more of a statement. I wonder if the Germans, Japanese, and Koreans will also cancel sedans? I doubt it. So why Ford?

The Lincoln Division has been poorly managed for decades. The last time it was distinctive was back in the '70's and '80's with the iconic waterfall grille on the Mark IV/V series and the Town Cars. They were unmistakable on the road and you could spot them a half mile away. Then they started changing the design language but never did anything that had the same impact and they kept changing the look every few years. The one thing that's been consistent is the inconsistent commitment to the Lincoln brand. In the past 10 years the company has been pouring billions of dollars into the brand to try to save/revitalize the brand and it's image. At least now all the Lincoln models have a unified appearance. The new models may be very good regarding quality, etc. The big problem is that there's nothing distinctive about a Lincoln and you can easily pass by one and not even realize it.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MKZMark said:

I wonder if the Germans, Japanese, and Koreans will also cancel sedans? I doubt it. So why Ford?

Opportunity cost. The amount of money and effort needed to redesign Ford and Lincoln sedans in the U.S. market to make them competitive with sedans from German, Japanese, and Korean companies, and to repair Ford's damaged reputation in the sedan marketplace, would never pay off. They're past the point of no return.

Ford is wisely putting its capital investments toward other product and service categories.

• Like 2