Retained Customers When Ford Cars Are Gone.

58 minutes ago, ehaase said:

The 96 Taurus was ugly, but I feel it was a solidly engineered car because I frequently saw them on the roads until a few years ago.  Many seemed to last 20 years or longer. I agree the 2000 and later was cheapened, though slightly more cargo space and better looking. 

The Taurus road pretty much the same platform from 1986 til its death in 2007. It was updated, but wasn't a major change like the Fusion did going from the Mazda to Monedo platform was 8 years ago or so. 

Yes T-dubz, you're right. if the mechanical frame/platform keeps taking a licking but keeps on ticking, stay with it!  Just change the sheet metal.....slightly.  But are Ford platforms as reliable as Toyota's? And you don't need 20 wheel options, 10 speed wipers and a bunch of other nonsense. I'm seeing a lot of Dodge Chargers, including police packages.  You mean Ford couldn't have kept just one sedan........Taurus or Fusion?  Come on!

2 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Yes T-dubz, you're right. if the mechanical frame/platform keeps taking a licking but keeps on ticking, stay with it!  Just change the sheet metal.....slightly.  But are Ford platforms as reliable as Toyota's? And you don't need 20 wheel options, 10 speed wipers and a bunch of other nonsense. I'm seeing a lot of Dodge Chargers, including police packages.  You mean Ford couldn't have kept just one sedan........Taurus or Fusion?  Come on!

I agree with you. Ford had made lots of mistakes over the decades, and this is just another one. And I know Ford still makes sedans overseas and could "easily" bring it back.

So what does Ford do.....it ends the popular Fusion and brings over the uncompetitive, slow selling Ecosport. Not easy to be a Ford dealer unless you are in truck country. I sometimes wish Ford would just get it over with and just become a complete Truck/Van company instead of taking forever to get there.

• Like 1

Was talking to a GM at our large metro area Ford dealer yesterday and he seems fine with losing the sedans.  He said "the lot is always packed and each parking space used to move one sedan can now be used to move 10 or more SUVs in the same timeframe."  He summed up the changing demographics by saying "Nobody wants the third box anymore and if you remove it you have a wagon or SUV... but wagons never did well and SUVs are far more versatile."  Everyone there was also extremely exited about the Bronco reveal... it was a party-like atmosphere!!!

Edited by CoolScoop

1 hour ago, CoolScoop said:

Was talking to a GM at our large metro area Ford dealer yesterday and he seems fine with losing the sedans.  He said "the lot is always packed and each parking space used to move one sedan can now be used to move 10 or more SUVs in the same timeframe."  He summed up the changing demographics by saying "Nobody wants the third box anymore and if you remove it you have a wagon or SUV... but wagons never did well and SUVs are far more versatile."  Everyone there was also extremely exited about the Bronco reveal... it was a party-like atmosphere!!!

More evidence Ford is making the right decision, regardless of how I personally feel about it. 

Why would Ford move its supply plants to the U.S. where the virus is worse, and workers make so much more/hour and benefits? In fact, the other major auto companies have a bigger footprint in Mexico than Ford. I would bet that if Ford is able to grow again, the states and Canada will NOT get the benefits from it unless they are subsidized by our government. Crony capitalism maybe lives on.

27 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

More evidence Ford is making the right decision, regardless of how I personally feel about it. 

Personally, I hope to see the Fusion name continue... at least in a more versatile/desirable form like the AWD Fusion Active wagon.  It would be a nice replacement for both Fusion and Flex.  They could even offer a sedan version like Subaru did with the Legacy. 

Edited by CoolScoop

2 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Personally, I hope to see the Fusion name continue... at least in a more versatile/desirable form like the AWD Fusion Active wagon.  It would be a nice replacement for both Fusion and Flex.  They could even offer a sedan version like Subaru did with the Legacy. 

Ford ignored and missed their opportunity to compete directly with Subaru years ago. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I sometimes wish Ford would just get it over with and just become a complete Truck/Van company instead of taking forever to get there.

I can see the day when Ford manufactures only the F series and its derivatives, Transit, Ranger, Bronco, and a potpourri of electric vehicles to satisfy the granolas.  

10 minutes ago, ehaase said:

I can see the day when Ford manufactures only the F series and its derivatives, Transit, Ranger, Bronco, and a potpourri of electric vehicles to satisfy the granolas.  

The will have the Mustang as well. But if you think that only "granolas" are buying EVs, then you're sadly mistaken.

44 minutes ago, ehaase said:

Yes sir ehaase, that day is coming. Speaking of the potpourri of electric vehicles, it wouldn't be surprising if by the end of this decade Ford makes a BEV version for each model in its U.S. vehicle lineup and by 2040, the product lineup becomes 100% electric.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:38 AM, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. In the U.S. midsize sedan market in particular, it's now about survival of the fittest to the extreme. Gotta be absolutely top notch to stay in the game. The weakest products in the segment are dead or are dying soon. Chrysler 200 in 2017, Ford Fusion this year, Chevy Malibu in 2022.

What happened to the Fusion is a shame. From 2006 until Ford just let it rot on the vine it was one of Ford's more respected car lines they ever built. You discontinue nameplates that have a poor reputation not ones that are respected in the market. It takes years to build a new nameplate and you don't see Toyota discontinuing the Camry or Honda the Accord. As far as the rumors that Ford will put the Fusion name on a station wagonized Edge... Yeah that'll be a huge success... Not.

2 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

What happened to the Fusion is a shame. From 2006 until Ford just let it rot on the vine it was one of Ford's more respected car lines they ever built. You discontinue nameplates that have a poor reputation not ones that are respected in the market. It takes years to build a new nameplate and you don't see Toyota discontinuing the Camry or Honda the Accord. As far as the rumors that Ford will put the Fusion name on a station wagonized Edge... Yeah that'll be a huge success... Not.

Agree 100% as to likely success of an "Edge" rebranded as a Fusion.  Again-the Fusion did well.  And as I've posted elsewhere, my 3.0T AWD MKZ is also a great car-that in typical Ford fashion, no one was made aware of.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 2:07 PM, ice-capades said:

Ford ignored and missed their opportunity to compete directly with Subaru years ago. 

The same could be said of Jeep too...but look at what we have now.

The biggest issue with a Subaru competitor is cracking DNA that makes them appeal to people. I personally no interest in them and the styling is generic central. 

If Ford even puts in half the effort they did with the Bronco on the Fusion Subaru fighter, I think they'll do well with it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The same could be said of Jeep too...but look at what we have now.

The biggest issue with a Subaru competitor is cracking DNA that makes them appeal to people. I personally no interest in them and the styling is generic central. 

If Ford even puts in half the effort they did with the Bronco on the Fusion Subaru fighter, I think they'll do well with it. 

I don't get why people love Subarus either - they're very plain looking.  It's because they put dogs in every ad lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

The biggest issue with a Subaru competitor is cracking DNA that makes them appeal to people.

That "DNA" is the combination of boxer engine, symmetrical all wheel drive, excellent safety ratings, high resale value, good reliability, user friendly design, and a well thought out marketing strategy. No competitor offers all of that. Ford and other automakers will never beat Subaru at its own game.

Just now, rperez817 said:

That "DNA" is the combination of boxer engine, symmetrical all wheel drive, excellent safety ratings, high resale value, good reliability, user friendly design, and a well thought out marketing strategy. No competitor offers all of that. Ford and other automakers will never beat Subaru at its own game.

The first two I bet the average customer has no clue about. If anything the boxer doesn't really offer any real advantages over a V or Inline engine

Subarus have had CVT issues...at least the girl that cuts my hair has had that with hers.  

31 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Having owned a Subaru, I will go along with better resale value, better reliability, and symmetrical awd. But it ends there. Subaru LOVE and DOG commercials are terrible. Other than lower center of gravity, base boxer engines are underpowered. I know, I owned one. Safety features are no better than Ford. In fact, blind spot detection and cross traffic alert are standard on most trim lines on Escape, and Optional on Crosstrek. And the infotainment system on my Escape is much more user friendly than on my Crosstrek. 

39 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The first two I bet the average customer has no clue about. If anything the boxer doesn't really offer any real advantages over a V or Inline engine

Subarus have had CVT issues...at least the girl that cuts my hair has had that with hers.  

The CVT on my Crossttrek was ok, but a bit jerky during warmup. So many Subaru owners complained that the warranty was extended on my 2017 model. The CVT on my Escape is much better. In the driving we do, we got 26mpg with the Crosstrek filling the gas tank every two weeks. In the Escape hybrid, we get 50 mpg filling the tank once a month. 

Now the Crosstek is a nice vehicle. Enjoyed my time with it. And it does handle a little better than my Escape with its lower center of gravity and fit better in my garage.

Cargo area was a bit cramped, but most of the time got the job done.