Retained Customers When Ford Cars Are Gone.

10 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Oh running great it was smooth. The problem was, it ate through head gaskets and coil packs.  Oil would drip in and foul up the coil packs. I had mine till 130k. After replacing head gasket twice and 6 of the packs, I’d had enough. While it was a good engine, that car would of been a monster with the 4.6 and a limited slip in the back.

It was valve cover gaskets not head gaskets and I think that was more on the v6 models but did affect some of the V8s.    Ford engineers did swap in a supercharged Roush 4.6L for their One Lap of America LS back in 2004 and it was a beast.  I think it blew that engine though and had to do a crown vic engine swap at a local dealer to stay in the race.

A supercharged 4.2L like the S-type would have been easier but PAG marketing would have none of that.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 10:08 AM, akirby said:

You don’t have to keep car buyers.  You replace them with more truck, utility and BEV buyers.

C2 and cd6 are perfectly capable of supporting cars and any C2 or CD6 factory can build them if the market shifts.  It’s not like they killed the unibody platforms and have nothing but BOF.

Ford still has a stake in Mazda, Aston as well. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/091208-ford-and-mazda-to-separate

22 minutes ago, SteelyD said:

In September 2015, Ford sold its remaining stake in Mazda. https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Deals/Ford-sells-remaining-stake-in-Mazda

I don't think Ford still owns any shares of Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings PLC. The company's main shareholder groups are Adeem/Primewagon, Prestige/SEIG, and Lawrence Stroll.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rperez817 said:

In September 2015, Ford sold its remaining stake in Mazda. https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Deals/Ford-sells-remaining-stake-in-Mazda

I don't think Ford still owns any shares of Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings PLC. The company's main shareholder groups are Adeem/Primewagon, Prestige/SEIG, and Lawrence Stroll.

The last link was severed with Aston Martin when the engine supply contract with Ford ended in 2018

Edited by jpd80

• 2 weeks later...

Ford lost another customer this past week. My daughter, who has always driven Fords, bought a Hyundai. She has previously bought (new) a Mustang, F-150 & a Focus.I asked if she'd looked at any Fords & she said she didn't even consider them. Her experience with the Focus quality & the fact that the Mustang is the only car they sell, eliminated them for consideration.

I keep reading about how all this "pie in the sky" higher transaction, making more money on trucks & SUV's, they don't want or need sedan sales, et al.

One basic business principal Ford & all you fanbois are missing; 5% profit on something is better than 99% profit on nothing. If you're not in consideration for traffic in your showroom; you're not going to sell...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 351cid said:

One basic business principal Ford & all you fanbois are missing; 5% profit on something is better than 99% profit on nothing. If you're not in consideration for traffic in your showroom; you're not going to sell...

Except cars weren’t anywhere close to 5%.

Ranger and Bronco will easily match Focus in revenue and will easily make $1B or more annual profit.  Same with Bronco Sport, Maverick, Transit connect and whatever else they put in Hermosillo.

They'll get even more showroom traffic and make way more profit from the new vehicles.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, 351cid said:

Ford lost another customer this past week. My daughter, who has always driven Fords, bought a Hyundai. She has previously bought (new) a Mustang, F-150 & a Focus.I asked if she'd looked at any Fords & she said she didn't even consider them. Her experience with the Focus quality & the fact that the Mustang is the only car they sell, eliminated them for consideration.

I keep reading about how all this "pie in the sky" higher transaction, making more money on trucks & SUV's, they don't want or need sedan sales, et al.

Ranger/ Bronco  replaces Focus production

Aviator replaced Taurus production 

Bronco Sport is replacing Fusion/ MKZ production.

Mach E replaces Fiesta

Simple truth is that there is spare production space to build cars but Ford  has chosen not to do that. 

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, 351cid said:

I bought a used Fusion hybrid 5 1/2 months ago. If I had bought a new vehicle like I had been doing for 26 years, I would driven past the Ford dealer.  Just wait, when Ford brings back cars in 5 years, it will be a "brilliant" move...just like when they brought back the Ranger..

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AGR said:

I bought a used Fusion hybrid 5 1/2 months ago. If I had bought a new vehicle like I had been doing for 26 years, I would driven past the Ford dealer.  Just wait, when Ford brings back cars in 5 years, it will be a "brilliant" move...just like when they brought back the Ranger..

I'm sure that you are correct. Customer taste are constantly changing. Remember when everyone sold a version of a Minivan.

35 minutes ago, AGR said:

Nobody said Ranger was brilliant.  We all said it was at least 2 years late.  Canyorado was brilliant but very risky.

Bronco appears to be a brilliant move but again at least 2 years late.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Nobody said Ranger was brilliant.  We all said it was at least 2 years late.  

Better late than never. I for one am very glad that Ford decided to bring the T6 Ranger to the U.S. market when it did, rather than wait until the new generation Ranger was ready.

My 2019 Ranger continues to serve my family's business well.

• Like 1

Well,

I understand why the 2019 Taurus had to go. The 2020 Explorer architecture changed to CD 6 rear wheel drive based!

Like someone has already said if there is the demand, Taurus with CD 6 platform is easily doable. It’s all economics ROI, IROR, payback etc.

I also don’t need two SUV’s and would prefer. Driving a sedan!

Somewhere, I saw a Taurus rendering made from CD 6 Explorer. It looked pretty good!

ford could make a Taurus and a modern Lincoln Town Car out of the CD6 when enough people get tired of SUV/CUV products.

edselford

25 minutes ago, edselford said:

Well,

I understand why the 2019 Taurus had to go. The 2020 Explorer architecture changed to CD 6 rear wheel drive based!

Like someone has already said if there is the demand, Taurus with CD 6 platform is easily doable. It’s all economics ROI, IROR, payback etc.

Somewhere, I saw a Taurus rendering made from CD 6 Explorer. It looked pretty good!

ford could make a Taurus and a modern Lincoln Town Car out of the CD6 when enough people get tired of SUV/CUV products.

edselford

I get both the Focus and Taurus, but will never get the reason for letting the FusionMKZ die on the vine. I was just reading an article comparing the $28,000 Renegade Trailhawk against the $34,000 Sport Badlands and Bronco Sport loses. Again, Ford is not getting the price right.

Young people are being priced out of most Ford products. An updated Fusion would have kept Ford in the affordable segment. Ford dealers must be so upset with Ford mismanagement to throw away this segment after taking years to build their share up. No, the Escape SE and Ecosport just don't get the job done. As Fusion inventory disappears, Ford market share will continue its decline. Bronco full production is still a year away and the Sport is priced too high. The Sport should be priced no higher than the Crosstrek. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I get both the Focus and Taurus, but will never get the reason for letting the FusionMKZ die on the vine. I was just reading an article comparing the $28,000 Renegade Trailhawk against the $34,000 Sport Badlands and Bronco Sport loses. Again, Ford is not getting the price right.

Being there are not any real tests out yet, what you read was a click bait or a slam article. I'm going to go with slam as FCA is currently (Indirectly) commissioning a lot of them to flood the web with negative PR about the Bronco/Bronco Sport. Welcome to the new world of the internet.

52 minutes ago, edselford said:

Well,

edselford

Continental is the modern Town Car and a new Taurus was created 3 years ago and planned for the US initially but later cancelled and is only sold in Europe.  Both are on CD4.

The only business case is if there is spare factory space available and there are no other new vehicles in the pipeline requiring resources.

2 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Being there are not any real tests out yet, what you read was a click bait or a slam article. I'm going to go with slam as FCA is currently (Indirectly) commissioning a lot of them to flood the web with negative PR about the Bronco/Bronco Sport. Welcome to the new world of the internet.

People said the same thing about Explorer but it's increasing retail market share.  Ford knows how to price their products relative to the competition but you have to understand maximum sales is never the goal.

1 hour ago, edselford said:

Here is the thing though:

Sedans are like the personal coupes of the 1970/1980s....they look nice but lack space/utilities that a truck or CUV offers.

Just take a look at the history of the automobile over the past 100 years....cars where 2 box shaped til the 1950-60s, but station wagons where popular still (2 box shape) also.

Station wagons fell out of favor in the 1980s with minivans then the rise of SUVs and CUVs. Yet again 2 box shapes

People only went back to cars in the later part of the early 2000s because of gas prices...but an Explorer of the time was lucky to get 15 MPG highway, where a 2020 models can get almost double that. 

Add in the price of vehicles these days and people are far more likely to get a swiss army knife that can "Do it all" then just be limited to what a sedan offers. Thats why the market is nearly 70-80% trucks or CUVs sales. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

I would still say the Sport is priced too high. I've been in a Renegade many times and owned a Limited Crosstrek that stickered for $27,000. With the Crosstrek, I lived on a rustic part of Michigan for the first few months on a rocky dirt road that was often rutted and flooded and the Crosstrek had no problem with it. Again, the Sport is priced too high and will be a problem as in huge rebates to move them. 

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Young people are being priced out of most Ford products. An updated Fusion would have kept Ford in the affordable segment. Ford dealers must be so upset with Ford mismanagement to throw away this segment after taking years to build their share up. No, the Escape SE and Ecosport just don't get the job done. As Fusion inventory disappears, Ford market share will continue its decline. Bronco full production is still a year away and the Sport is priced too high. The Sport should be priced no higher than the Crosstrek. 

How does it lose?  They've not even driven one yet, but it loses?

• Like 1

Also, we're supposedly getting a new Fusion, albeit in "crossover" form - i.e. some cladding and an inch raised to make it look "tough" lol.

I personally think it was a mistake for them to trumpet them dropping sedans (I know they wanted Wall Street to see oh look we're changing!), and they should've just let them quietly fade away.

• Like 1