Maintenance - When?

40Eridani

FordPass app says my next maintenance is at 10K miles.

owners.ford.com website says my next maintenance is at 20K miles

Dealer says to do it every 5K miles.

But, the owner's manual says essentially to disregard any schedules and just wait for the intelligent oil life monitor to tell me when.

What the heck is the truth here?  What is required to not void my warranty?  

• Like 1

More info...

After talking with Ford (via the owners.ford.com site), they told me that the new vehicle warranty requirement is 20K maximum.  That's for the normal maintenance interval.  

Interesting because in the manual and online they say not to exceed 10K.  

Sure seems like they could have made this more clear. 

39 minutes ago, 40Eridani said:

More info...

After talking with Ford (via the owners.ford.com site), they told me that the new vehicle warranty requirement is 20K maximum.  That's for the normal maintenance interval.  

Interesting because in the manual and online they say not to exceed 10K.  

Sure seems like they could have made this more clear. 

Hi 40Eridani. Do not use a 20,000 mile interval! Do not pay attention to the Dealer (they want to make money), the Ford Owners website etc.They are wrong.

Required regular maintenance (oil change etc) is 1 year/10,000 miles, whichever comes first. Follow the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor and Maintenance Schedule in your Owners Manual.

The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor will use those time/mileage limits, unless driving conditions require an earlier maintenance. Tires should be rotated at ~6,000-8,000 miles

Other than that, use the Maintenance Schedule contained in your Owners Manual for all other Scheduled Maintenance (coolant flushes, trans flushes etc).

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Agreed. Unless you want varnish to build quickly on your camshaft and cam phasers and want to replace them in short order, listen to @bbf2530.

Although, I suppose if they said that in emails, then that documentation should be good enough to have those replaced under warranty, but why chance it and go through that hassle?

5 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi 40Eridani. Do not use a 20,000 mile interval! Do not pay attention to the Dealer (they want to make money), the Ford Owners website etc.They are wrong.

Required regular maintenance (oil change etc) is 1 year/10,000 miles, whichever comes first. Follow the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor and Maintenance Schedule in your Owners Manual.

The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor will use those time/mileage limits, unless driving conditions require an earlier maintenance. Tires should be rotated at ~6,000-8,000 miles

bbf2530,  so are you saying that I can expect that the Intelligent Monitor will not alert at any time/mileage greater than 1 year/10K miles?

And, to ask, because I would love to have something in writing from Ford, where did you get this info ?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, 40Eridani said:

bbf2530,  so are you saying that I can expect that the Intelligent Monitor will not alert at any time/mileage greater than 1 year/10K miles?

And, to ask, because I would love to have something in writing from Ford, where did you get this info ?

You don’t need anything in writing.  The owners manual says to go by the IOLM but don’t exceed 1 yr/10k miles.  If you hit 1 yr or 10,000 miles and you didn’t get the reminder, change it anyway.  I’d recommend 7500 though.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 40Eridani said:

Thanks

Hi 40Eridani. Essentially, what akirby stated. Your Owners Manual tells you specifically what to do, "in writing".

Regarding your question, "...so are you saying that I can expect that the Intelligent Monitor will not alert at any time/mileage greater than 1 year/10K miles?" if I understand your question correctly, the answer is yes.

The IOLM will illuminate to notify you at the earlier of 1 year or 10,000 miles. That is the Manufacturers oil change interval. So change the oil at that interval, or sooner if you wish. But do not go longer if you wish to preserve your New Car Bumper to Bumper and Powertrain Warranties. Not 20,000 miles. Not 11,000 miles. Not 14,000 miles.

So, some examples that I hope will help: If you drive 10,000 miles in 3 months, the IOLM will illuminate shortly before 10,000 miles and you must change the oil at that point.

On the other hand, if you only drive 4,000 miles in one year, the IOLM will illuminate shortly before the 1 year mark and you must change the oil.

The IOLM also takes other driving conditions into account and may illuminate sooner than 1 year/10,000 miles, if necessary. If it does, change the oil.

This is all explained in the Owners Manual.

Or perform your oil changes a little sooner, as akirby stated, if it give you peace of mind and helps you sleep at night.

It is actually very simple. You don't need to keep track. Your car does it for you.

Hope this makes it easier to understand. Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

I use 7500 because it is right in the interval for tire rotations and gives some buffer on either side if you have a long road trip and have to take it in early or wait until after. So my schedule is 7500, 15000, 22500, 30000... Keeps it even and easy to remember. 

The oil life monitor doesn't seem to go by mileage alone. I had my oil changed at about 1,500 miles and it was showing 12% oil life remaining. It now has 1,600 miles and showing 82% oil life. After just under 100 miles, 18% of oil life has already been used.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

The oil life monitor doesn't seem to go by mileage alone. I had my oil changed at about 1,500 miles and it was showing 12% oil life remaining. It now has 1,600 miles and showing 82% oil life. After just under 100 miles, 18% of oil life has already been used.

That’s why it’s called Intelligent - takes several things into account - rpm, temp, etc.

9 hours ago, Flying68 said:

I use 7500 because it is right in the interval for tire rotations and gives some buffer on either side if you have a long road trip and have to take it in early or wait until after. So my schedule is 7500, 15000, 22500, 30000... Keeps it even and easy to remember. 

Hi Flying68. Yes, my case is similar, maybe for a different reason. I/we drive our cars less than 10,000 miles a year. Usually in the range of 6,000 to 7,500 miles each. So I perform oil changes and tire rotations somewhere in the 11 to 12 month range, with 6,000 to 7,500 miles.

The coupons that are usually available on the Lincoln and Ford Owner websites for "The Works" package (for $39.95), come in very handy at those times. ?

Good luck and happy motoring.

Edited by bbf2530

1 hour ago, bbf2530 said:

The coupons that are usually available on the Lincoln and Ford Owner websites for "The Works" package (for $39.95), come in very handy at those times. ?

bbf2530, can you point me to where on the owner site these coupons are?  I can't find anything.   Thanks.

1 hour ago, bbf2530 said:

bbf2530, can you point me to where on the owner site these coupons are?  I can't find anything.   Thanks.

40 minutes ago, 40Eridani said:

Hi 40Eridani. Go to the Ford Owners website. Click on "Service". Click on "Offers and Rebates". Scroll down and click on "Load more" or "All offers". It will then show you all available service offers in your area.

I do not know what the current offers are, since they can vary from week to week and month to month and are usually good for ~3 months. I try to remember to begin checking the website a month or two before I will be needing routine maintenance so I can download whatever is available.

I also believe being registered and signed in sometimes helps.

Additionally, call around to your local Ford and Lincoln Dealerships and ask what they are currently charging for "The Works" package. Every Dealership determines their own pricing. Last time I checked, Dealerships in my area were charging anywhere from $29.95 (a great price) to $79.95 (a ridiculous price) for "The Works".

And always ask if they will go lower. Prices are not set in stone. Think of a Dealership as a flea market, where all prices are negotiable, as opposed to a Department store, where you pay what is on the price tag.

One final thought, just in case you are not familiar with what "The Works" is. It is a synthetic blend oil and filter change, tire rotation, multi-point safety check, and other fluid check/top off.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

17 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi 40Eridani. Go to the Ford Owners website. Click on "Service". Click on "Offers and Rebates". Scroll down and click on "Load more" or "All offers". It will then show you all available service offers in your area.

One final thought, just in case you are not familiar with what "The Works" is. It is a synthetic blend oil and filter change, tire rotation, multi-point safety check, and other fluid check/top off.

Thank you.  I see "The Works" shows up but it doesn't list the price or how to get it.   See the attachment.  

Also, "The Works" doesn't seem to include all the recommended inspection items that the manual says should be done at every service, the "Multi-point Inspection".   Do I need to request that?  

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 11.11.59 AM.png

Just now, 40Eridani said:

Thank you.  I see "The Works" shows up but it doesn't list the price or how to get it.   See the attachment.  

Also, "The Works" doesn't seem to include all the recommended inspection items that the manual says should be done at every service, the "Multi-point Inspection".   Do I need to request that?  

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 11.11.59 AM.png

HI 40Eridani. As I mentioned, the offers will vary from time to time. Call you local Dealerships for their own pricing. Many/most often offer it for $39.95 anyway.

Concerning the maintenance check: That is what the "Brake Inspection...Vehicle Checkup...Battery Test...Filter Check..Belt and Hoses Check" includes. You do not need to pay a Dealer more to "check" everything that is listed on the Maintenance Schedule.

Good luck.

Know what your service department calls a 20k mile service interval? "CP 6006".  

As for "normal" service intervals: You can theoretically go that far when you use quality oil and filters. I wouldn't. An awful lot can happen to a car in 10k or a year. Mouses' houses made out of the air cleaner, tire wear from a pothole, a small leak over a long period, just a few of the unplanned things that can happen and cost you LOTS in a short period, let alone a year... Service is cheap. And no, the dealership is NOT making a killing selling "The Works".

"But why can Quickey Monkey" and "Ceiling Store" sell their service cheaper?" Because they use cheap oil and filters, pay poorly and are all about the upsell. An "orange can of death" or other low grade filter and certain brands of "pennsylvania crude" will not adequately do their jobs out that far. 

A good link: 

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/55

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...