Ford employees want the company to stop making police cars, report says

Allllright, which one of you dorks did it?

Ford employees want the company to stop making police cars, report says

A letter to Ford CEO Jim Hackett and Chairman Bill Ford ask the company to take action by July 15.

Ford employees have asked the automaker to stop building police cars, according to a Jalopnik report published Wednesday. The request comes as countless Black Lives Matter protests continue throughout America and around the globe, sparked by the killing of George Floyd.

"Throughout history, the vehicles that Ford employees design and build have been used as accessories to police brutality and oppression," workers wrote in a letter to Ford CEO Jim Hackett and Chairman Bill Ford, according to Jalopnik. "We know that while many join, support or supply law enforcement with good intentions, these racist policing practices that plague our society are historic and systemic -- a history and system perpetuated by Ford for over 70 years -- ever since Ford introduced the first-ever police package in 1950. As an undeniable part of that history and system, we are long overdue to 'think and act differently' on our role in racism."

Full Story:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-employees-police-cars/

• Haha 1

If those Ford employees feel that strongly about working at a company that produces product that supports police departments, maybe they should quit and let someone that is looking for a good career type job take their place. I mean, whats next? Bullet proof vest companies stop making their products too? Gun manufacturers? Uniform companies?

• Like 13

CAP manufactures the majority of the Police vehicles for Ford. Majority of employees are People of Color. Not just entry level or hourly either. GSR employees and many LL6s and LL5s there over the years. Several Plant Managers and Assistant Plant managers as well. 

I look at this as just another example of the lunacy that is taking over the country.  As crazy as this is, crap like this just might be the catalyst needed to wake people up to the fringe idiots that are running amok.  To Paintguys point, might be a good starting point for UAW to maybe take a position.

I think we are getting close to the tipping point where the sensible "majority"-I hope we are still a majority- start taking the offensive.

And not to get political but as to the "media"??

-last two nights the "Nightly News with Lester Holt-NBC

-Lead off comments..."In spite of health calamity facing our schools".....Oh I didn't  know it had been declared a health calamity

-"Jaw dropping statistics tonight..."  I guess  if you say so Lester.

-"Bombshell new book reveals Trump had someone take  his  SAT's".....Excellent-now I  don't have to read the headlines in the National Enquirer as I   distance myself in the grocery check out line.

• Like 6

Oh-and to deflect perhaps some flames, the Donalds handlers have to get him in control too.  As to his reported "15,000 lies",  my guess is half of his lies are not "Lies" but stupid shit statements that he spouts  off on stuff he has no clue about.  Like when the pandemic was out of control in NYC he says...."they are bringing in FREEZER trucks for the bodies".  "Uh Chief,  those trailers are known as "reefers"-you don't "freeze" the dead".  Lie? No  Stupid statement? yes.

Well...it was only a matter of time before a small group tries to strong arm their employer because they can ride the wave of insanity.  It's working for some groups to get their ways, so why not? This just goes to show you, that there is no middle ground on anything right now and people are exploiting it to the fullest to get their way....even if it makes 0 sense.

I wouldn't own another Ford again and would sell all of my stock if they did this. I know plenty of police that are good people. Are the social workers/good will force going to ride bikes or are they going to buy vehicles too? Sorry to rant but this would solve nothing and be a poor business decision for Ford.

• Like 2

This is absolutely ridiculous.  I just dont' know how everything has gotten so "my way or the highway" on both sides.  The media (on both sides) perpetuates everything too - news needs to go back to being just that - news.  A boring list of facts without opinion.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Why does the page show 10 replies but I dont see any including my original reply?

I'm having that problem too. On pretty much every page. Sometimes refreshing it helps, most of the time it doesn't 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Well...it was only a matter of time before a small group tries to strong arm their employer because they can ride the wave of insanity.  It's working for some groups to get their ways, so why not? This just goes to show you, that there is no middle ground on anything right now and people are exploiting it to the fullest to get their way....even if it makes 0 sense.

I wouldn't own another Ford again and would sell all of my stock if they did this. I know plenty of police that are good people. Are the social workers/good will force going to ride bikes or are they going to buy vehicles too? Sorry to rant but this would solve nothing and be a poor business decision for Ford.

I am right there with you.  Hackett made some ignorant statements regarding law enforcement while exercising some verbal judo in response to this nonsense, but I get it in this day and age of cancel cultural. However, if they actually agreed to do something like this, I promise you my current Fords would be the last Fords I would buy. 

The Ford Foundation is squarely involved in this radicalism.  They are also involved in many other leftist agenda items, as well. I used to be able to write it off that they were autonomous from FMC, but they currently have a Ford family member on the board as of 2019.  I’m starting to get uncomfortable with the situation. 

The following article is unsettling to me: 
https://thenationalpulse.com/news/ford-motors-police-ford-foundation/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I am right there with you.  Hackett made some ignorant statements regarding law enforcement while exercising some verbal judo in response to this nonsense, but I get it in this day and age of cancel cultural. However, if they actually agreed to do something like this, I promise you my current Fords would be the last Fords I would buy. 

The Ford Foundation is squarely involved in this radicalism.  They are also involved in many other leftist agenda items, as well. I used to be able to write it off that they were autonomous from FMC, but they currently have a Ford family member on the board as of 2019.  I’m starting to get uncomfortable with the situation. 

The following article is unsettling to me: 
https://thenationalpulse.com/news/ford-motors-police-ford-foundation/

Apparently this went out to the dealerships this morning:

ACTION REQUESTED SUMMARY

Ford dealer partners,
I wanted to provide you with Ford’s statement on recent media coverage concerning police vehicles and the Ford Foundation. As the statement clearly notes, Ford Motor Company has not participated financially or otherwise in any efforts to defund the police. Please feel free to use the following messaging should you receive questions.
Thanks,
Mark LaNeve ----------------------

Ford Motor Company and the Ford Foundation are completely separate entities and have operated independent of each other since the mid-1970s. Ford has no control of the Ford Foundation’s grant- making policies or decisions. Ford’s charitable arm is the Ford Motor Company Fund.

Ford is proud to be America’s long-time leader in producing police, emergency and first responder vehicles. Our Police Interceptor vehicles are by far the top choice of law enforcement and other emergency services agencies across the country.

To be clear, Ford believes racism, abuse of power and repression in law enforcement must be addressed and stamped out wherever they exist. Good law enforcement agencies and officers play a critical positive role in our communities, but safety and fairness must be inclusive of all, everywhere.

Contrary to some misinformed stories online, Ford has not provided funding to any campaign to “defund the police.” Rather, through technology and innovation, Ford will continue to play a positive role in promoting more safety and accountability in policing and produce even safer police vehicles. Ford will continue to work closely with local and state police associations across the country on positive solutions.

QUESTIONS:

Sherrice Gilsbach, Dealer and FCSD Communications, 313.236.9847, sgilsba1@ford.com

• Like 3

Interestingly, the Freep headline tells a different story:

Ford employees ask if company should stop building police vehicles

Then you have this from the article:

Internally at Ford, both Black and white employees have expressed concern in what has been described as a "respectful" and "constructive" manner. Sentiment within the company is viewed as passionate in terms of support for law enforcement as well as communities of color that have expressed fear of violence by law enforcement officers. 

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2020/07/09/ford-police-vehicle-sales-explorer-interceptor/5403464002/

It sounds like they're asking a question that's perfectly legitimate from any number of business perspectives, and they're doing it respectfully (something that seems to be beyond most people these days).

Also, the letter was signed by roughly 100 of Ford's 85,000 US employees, which is hardly representative.

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 1