Hyundai Is Making a Real Manual Transmission That Doesn't Use a Clutch Pedal

probowler

Hyundai Is Making a Real Manual Transmission That Doesn't Use a Clutch Pedal

The manual transmission is a bit of a hot topic within automotive circles, believe it or not. Whether you're a "save the manuals" sort of person or couldn't care less, you'll be interested to hear that Hyundai is releasing a new take on rowing your own, as first reported by Autocar India. Known as the Intelligent Manual Transmission, or iMT, it's essentially a regular six-speed manual transmission—minus the clutch pedal. Wait, what?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34683/hyundai-is-making-a-real-manual-transmission-that-doesnt-use-a-clutch-pedal

Sounds cool!

On 7/10/2020 at 2:09 PM, blwnsmoke said:

Wonder how it works at a red light, stop sign or stop and go traffic.

And I would not want this.  I like engaging the clutch with my foot.  I find this very similar to tiptronic type shifters moving it up/down (+/-) and not what I want in a manual.

Chrysler had something like that in the 40's. I had a 48 Chrysler New Yorker. What a blast to drive that.

The standard Fluid Drive configuration consisted of the fluid coupling and a manual transmission and clutch in tandem. If the Fluid Drive was mated to a manual transmission, the driver still needed to use the clutch to shift between any of the gears. The presence of Fluid Drive, however, prevented the driver stalling when taking off from a dead stop. The driver could also come to a stop in any gear without using the clutch and could then proceed without shifting or using the clutch. Naturally, acceleration from a stop was much slower in high gear than it was in first. It must be emphasized that Fluid Drive was not a transmission, only a fluid coupling between the engine and clutch.

Fluid Drive could also be mated to the semi-automatic transmission, which was not automatic in any way and should not be confused with Fluid Drive. With the semi-automatic transmissions, the driver shifted manually, selecting reverse or a low range and a high range. Each 'range' had two speeds. To shift between them, the driver accelerated then released pressure on the accelerator. In high range, this shift point was about 23 mph (37 kmh). Once the transmission shifted into high speed range, the driver again depressed the accelerator pedal, and continued accelerating. Solenoids on the transmission connected to the carburetor and ignition system momentarily interrupted engine operation to allow trouble-free shifting.

The driver could down-shift for passing by fully depressing the accelerator. The clutch was needed to change between low and high range. The fluid drive system allowed the driver to stop at a light or in traffic and remain in gear without depressing the clutch. The driver could, if not concerned with fast acceleration, drive the car all day long in high range, stopping and starting, without ever having to touch the clutch pedal or gearshift lever unless faster acceleration or reversing was required. For this reason, DeSotos and Dodges were favored by city cab companies from the mid Forties to early Fifties.

The semi-automatic came under a variety of names - Vacamatic, Prestomatic, Fluidmatic (Chrysler), Simplimatic, Tip-Toe Hydraulic Shift (DeSoto) and Gyromatic (Dodge).

8 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

Nobody except those on a car forum wants a manual transmission-clutch or no clutch.

In the U.S., that's true. Europe, South and Southeast Asia, and parts of Central and South America have a much higher proportion of manual transmission cars and light trucks. Globally the percentage with manual transmission is about 35%.

On 7/13/2020 at 12:42 AM, CKNSLS said:

Nobody except those on a car forum wants a manual transmission-clutch or no clutch.

My wife does and isn't on any forum.  And the way people talk about all these reviewers and the TFL fiasco and people coming to their defense, there are a ton of people on car forums..  hundreds of thousands??

Edited by blwnsmoke

11 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

My wife does and isn't on any forum.  And the way people talk about all these reviewers and the TFL fiasco and people coming to their defense, there are a ton of people on car forums..  hundreds of thousands??

The "take rate" on manuals are less than 5% when they are/were even offered-so the numbers speak for themselves. A Corolla, or like automobile will sit for months next the exact same model with an automatic transmission.