Mustang Mach-E/Tesla Model Y side by side photos on Electrek

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

Mach-E looks way better.

Yes sir, I agree. The Mach-E simply has more visual flair. Particularly the headlamps, tail lamps, and front fascia. The big question is whether Mach-E will have the substance to match its style. Or as Electrek put it, "if it’s just a subpar imitation [of Tesla] or if they managed to deliver a product that stands on its own."

My wife and I are really looking forward to taking delivery of our Mach-E late this year or in early 2021. Autonation Ford got our order in last month.

• Like 2

Front end of the Mach-E is far better visually.  However, that 3rd pic of the left rear quarter looks terrible on it.  The bump at the lower bumper, then the bump out below the taillights and then bump out again above the lights (spoiler) and how the rear slopes..  it just does not look good.  From the rear looking straight on looks good.  Have to give Tesla the win for the rear but a lose for the front.

4 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

However, that 3rd pic of the left rear quarter looks terrible on it.  The bump at the lower bumper, then the bump out below the taillights and then bump out again above the lights (spoiler) and how the rear slopes..  it just does not look good. 

I disagree.  I think the Mach-E looks far more aggressive and far better whereas the Tesla looks like a bloated rounded cow.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, akirby said:

I disagree.  I think the Mach-E looks far more aggressive and far better whereas the Tesla looks like a bloated rounded cow.

not a fan of Teslas SUV designs....and the S isn't aging well....but seeing a BUNCH  of 3 s now, and to me at least...that cars extremely handsome. Here I thing the Mach E wins from a styling standpoint...lot more interesting details and contours...makes the Y look somewhat staid IMO.

Edited by Deanh

37 minutes ago, Deanh said:

not a fan of Teslas SUV designs....and the S isn't aging well....but seeing a BUNCH  of 3 s now, and to me at least...that cars extremely handsome. Here I thing the Mach E wins from a styling standpoint...lot more interesting details and contours...makes the Y look somewhat staid IMO.

I disagree that the S isn't aging well - I still think it looks great.....BUT - it's not going to last forever, and there doesn't seem to be a refresh/redesign on the horizon from what I see.

The SUVs on the other hand, have tried to take the S's design and put it onto an SUV shape, and I don't think it works well.

I saw my second Model Y on the road just an hour ago - didn't realize it and the Mach E were so similarly sized.   Definitely like the Mach E better - it has more style and better proportions.

Is Ford finally finding its mojo?

Mach E looks better than Tesla Y so if Ford is smart, it will promote the heck out of Mach E in the next 

twelve months and turn it into a cult car that many want to own. A Ken Block special should lift the

profile of Mach E and increase potential buyer interest.

1 hour ago, probowler said:

Does anyone know why Ford chose the Mach-E name over Model E?

Would have been a perfect name. Did Tesla takeover the trademark or something?  Or did Ford not want people to confuse their model with Teslas models?

Uh Your forgetting MUSTANG Mach E

Thats why. 

47 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Uh Your forgetting MUSTANG Mach E

Thats why. 

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I have to again question the wisdom of that name, it's such a mouthful. I went back through this thread and noticed not a single person could bothered to type out Mustang Mach-E, and who can blame them? Only the OP mentioned it once in the title.

I feel like this is going to be like the sport, where everyone drops the Bronco(in this case Mustang) and just calls it Mach-E.

2 hours ago, probowler said:

Does anyone know why Ford chose the Mach-E name over Model E?

Would have been a perfect name. Did Tesla takeover the trademark or something?  Or did Ford not want people to confuse their model with Teslas models?

Ford actually sued Tesla over the naming rights for Model E.  Tesla wanted to call the 3 "Model E" (for the SEXY name), but Ford was able to get control of the Model E name.

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Ford actually sued Tesla over the naming rights for Model E.  Tesla wanted to call the 3 "Model E" (for the SEXY name), but Ford was able to get control of the Model E name.

Interesting information! I remember the SEXY thing but I didn't realize Tesla was seriously considering it, very Cool of them IMO lol.  As for the topic of naming rights, this is both good and bad. On one hand, model E is a historic Ford nameplate. On the other... that was a long time ago and when given the perfect chance to resurrect it, they declined to do so.

I do believe trademark and copyright protections are of some importance, but I also don't like how they sometimes are abused, such as taking ownership of an idea or invention with no plans to utilize it.

10 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Is Ford finally finding its mojo?

Mach E looks better than Tesla Y so if Ford is smart, it will promote the heck out of Mach E in the next 

twelve months and turn it into a cult car that many want to own. A Ken Block special should lift the

profile of Mach E and increase potential buyer interest.

Ford will do what they often do. They'll run a branding spot for the Mustang Mach-E, prospective customers that didn't know about it beforehand will go to see the new model at dealerships, see none in stock, find out how few will be available, object to some Dealer's pricing and walk away, or be an impulse buyer and buy/lease at any price. The branding campaign will run until the vehicles are on the way to dealers and then Ford will pull the campaign and rely on word-of-mouth and interest generated when the Mustang Mach-E is out on the road. Ford will make a splash with the campaign initially and then they'll pull it and turn to something else. Ford won't spend a penny more on marketing the Mustang Mach-E than they have to. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

Ford will do what they often do. They'll run a branding spot for the Mustang Mach-E, prospective customers that didn't know about it beforehand will go to see the new model at dealerships, see none in stock, find out how few will be available, object to some Dealer's pricing and walk away, or be an impulse buyer and buy/lease at any price. The branding campaign will run until the vehicles are on the way to dealers and then Ford will pull the campaign and rely on word-of-mouth and interest generated when the Mustang Mach-E is out on the road. Ford will make a splash with the campaign initially and then they'll pull it and turn to something else. Ford won't spend a penny more on marketing the Mustang Mach-E than they have to. 

Thinking about that, Ford launches a new vehicle that's already sold out for the first year,

that must be heart breaking for sales staff to have nothing to show let alone sell.

I wonder if this is Ford's way of limiting production and  sales to a select few that will pay highest tolerable pricing.

They must be already looking at Bronco Sport and Bronco as the next big things to keep buyer interest going.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I wonder if this is Ford's way of limiting production and  sales to a select few that will pay highest tolerable pricing.

They must be already looking at Bronco Sport and Bronco as the next big things to keep buyer interest going.

Two issues with the Mach E-it’s a compliance car for the EU (think half of production is earmarked for there) and the battery supply issue. 

Not to mention that outside of Tesla, almost all BEVs haven’t been great sellers, even luxury makes, but I also think that is partly due to some design limitations that are due to being on existing platforms and not bespoke ones. The Mach E hits just about everything the Tesla can do outside of super charging network and being able to recharge quickly. 

Fords rollout of the Mach E is their way of getting their foot wet in the market and still make a profit off them. Let’s see if they increase production in 2021....that will be the telling thing on how successful it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Thinking about that, Ford launches a new vehicle that's already sold out for the first year,

that must be heart breaking for sales staff to have nothing to show let alone sell.

There's supposed to be allocation for stock units but it's unknown how many stock units will be available for production. How many stock units Ford makes available as a factor compared to how many retail orders will be produced the first year is anyone's guess at this point. There's also the question of how allocation will be distributed nationwide. I'd expect it to be primarily on the two coasts with the larger dealers getting a larger share of whatever the stock availability will be. With first year production limited to only 50,000 units, with half supposedly committed to Europe, first year availability is going to be very limited to say the least. Then factor in that Ford wants Dealer stock units available for "extended" test drives. It's going to be interesting to see how things develop.

Ford doesn't have to do anything about limiting production. It's pretty much understood that the first year's production is limited to battery availability. As for pricing, it's out of Ford's hands as Dealers can charge what they want. I'm expecting that most Dealers are going to sell Mustang Mach-E's above MSRP based on the limited availability. The market will decide how successful the Dealer pricing will be. Shelby customers have accepted MSRP+ pricing for years because of the limited availability. it was the same for F-150 Raptor's for years but now in many markets you can name your own price for a Raptor.    

19 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Two issues with the Mach E-it’s a compliance car for the EU (think half of production is earmarked for there) and the battery supply issue. 

Not to mention that outside of Tesla, almost all BEVs haven’t been great sellers, even luxury makes, but I also think that is partly due to some design limitations that are due to being on existing platforms and not bespoke ones. The Mach E hits just about everything the Tesla can do outside of super charging network and being able to recharge quickly. 

Fords rollout of the Mach E is their way of getting their foot wet in the market and still make a profit off them. Let’s see if they increase production in 2021....that will be the telling thing on how successful it is. 

You're right on the mark regarding EU compliance and the battery supply issue. The big factor will be battery and production capacity for the 2022MY.

6 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

There's supposed to be allocation for stock units but it's unknown how many stock units will be available for production. How many stock units Ford makes available as a factor compared to how many retail orders will be produced the first year is anyone's guess at this point. There's also the question of how allocation will be distributed nationwide. I'd expect it to be primarily on the two coasts with the larger dealers getting a larger share of whatever the stock availability will be. With first year production limited to only 50,000 units, with half supposedly committed to Europe, first year availability is going to be very limited to say the least. Then factor in that Ford wants Dealer stock units available for "extended" test drives. It's going to be interesting to see how things develop.

Ford doesn't have to do anything about limiting production. It's pretty much understood that the first year's production is limited to battery availability. As for pricing, it's out of Ford's hands as Dealers can charge what they want. I'm expecting that most Dealers are going to sell Mustang Mach-E's above MSRP based on the limited availability. The market will decide how successful the Dealer pricing will be. Shelby customers have accepted MSRP+ pricing for years because of the limited availability. it was the same for F-150 Raptor's for years but now in many markets you can name your own price for a Raptor.    

As mentioned above, roughly half of first year production is to Europe

so at best USA and Canada have 25,000 Mach Es between them.