Potential Engine Shortage?

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I would think it would be cheaper to ship them from Dearborn, Romeo, Cleveland or Windsor to Louisville but I can't say for sure. Maybe the cost of moving the tooling is the biggest hang up? 

Of course we know now Romeo is closing soon, but I think there might still be space in Dearborn and Windsor for another line. I can't say for sure though. 

Agreed about the costs of shipping engines produced domestically and the fact that moving tooling, etc. may have been a factor. The labor cost must have been a big factor in the decision to produce engines in Mexico thanks to NAFTA. As far as threat management, I doubt it was ever a factor or consideration as Ford's primary consideration typically is cost. In addition, any threat management considerations 10 years ago wouldn't necessarily apply today. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I would think it would be cheaper to ship them from Dearborn, Romeo, Cleveland or Windsor to Louisville but I can't say for sure. Maybe the cost of moving the tooling is the biggest hang up? 

Of course we know now Romeo is closing soon, but I think there might still be space in Dearborn and Windsor for another line. I can't say for sure though. 

All I'm saying is that Ford was comfortable with the arrangement while it didn't perceive a threat,

I guess corporates don't run down all the what if scenarios, to many this is still just a bad flu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

Agreed about the costs of shipping engines produced domestically and the fact that moving tooling, etc. may have been a factor. The labor cost must have been a big factor in the decision to produce engines in Mexico thanks to NAFTA. As far as threat management, I doubt it was ever a factor or consideration as Ford's primary consideration typically is cost. In addition, any threat management considerations 10 years ago wouldn't necessarily apply today. 

It is interesting when you see just how many engines are produced domestically. The only ones sold here that aren't are the 5.0 and 7.3 (Built in Windsor),  2 of the 3 engines built in Chihuahua Mexico (6.7 Diesel and 2.5 Duratec), and the 1.0 EB which is built somewhere in Europe I believe. Everything else is built either in Dearborn, Cleveland or Lima OH. 

16 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It is interesting when you see just how many engines are produced domestically. The only ones sold here that aren't are the 5.0 and 7.3 (Built in Windsor),  2 of the 3 engines built in Chihuahua Mexico (6.7 Diesel and 2.5 Duratec), and the 1.0 EB which is built somewhere in Europe I believe. Everything else is built either in Dearborn, Cleveland or Lima OH. 

According to this article  (  https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-motor-company-engines/ford-ecoboost-family/ford-1-0-liter-ecoboost-fox-engine/  )  the 1.0L is sourced from three plants: Cologne, Germany, Craiova, Romania, and Chongqing, China .

57 minutes ago, WillSD said:

According to this article  (  https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-motor-company-engines/ford-ecoboost-family/ford-1-0-liter-ecoboost-fox-engine/ )  the 1.0L is sourced from three plants: Cologne, Germany, Craiova, Romania, and Chongqing, China .

I'm pretty sure the ones destined for North America come from Germany. 

28 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm pretty sure the ones destined for North America come from Germany. 

Back in February of this year I posted a couple of "origin" stickers that showed 2.0EB's coming from Spain, I'll have to look again and see if those are on 2020's.

HRG

9 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Back in February of this year I posted a couple of "origin" stickers that showed 2.0EB's coming from Spain, I'll have to look again and see if those are on 2020's.

HRG

I thought we established that was overflow production. I can't remember now, way too much to keep straight. 

I seen all the headlines about an engine shortage likely to cause truck plant shutdowns the following week since there will be no engine for the trucks.  However, that was all I heard about it.  Seen no shutdowns and heard nothing after the initial headline. I suppose it all got resolved?  

I'm sure we'll hear all about it if Kentucky an Avon Lake are affected, the 6.7 makes up a fair bit of production.

Maybe restricted supplies of the big diesel will  force some rescheduling to build more 7.3s for now?

Edited by jpd80

Has anyone seen updates on the impact of the engine shortage on the Kentucky Super Duty plant?  When the initial news came out they were saying it would impact production the week of 7/13.  I'm assuming that means the plant would fill scheduling gaps with trucks equipped with the gas engines, which aren't manufactured in Mexico.  I'm selfishly hoping the delivery date for my F250 Lariat with the 7.3L gets pulled forward.

1 hour ago, JEMetzger said:

Has anyone seen updates on the impact of the engine shortage on the Kentucky Super Duty plant?  When the initial news came out they were saying it would impact production the week of 7/13.  I'm assuming that means the plant would fill scheduling gaps with trucks equipped with the gas engines, which aren't manufactured in Mexico.  I'm selfishly hoping the delivery date for my F250 Lariat with the 7.3L gets pulled forward.

That would be my thinking also, it’s not as though KTP is not getting any diesels, just restricted supply, maybe half what they need?

rescheduling 7.3 builds seems like a good workaround but that would require  a change in supply numbers of the different parts for the gasoline trucks...

Edited by jpd80

I have a question for you guys. Are any of your plants having any production disruptions right now because of the Mexico covid situation??? Up at OAC we’ve been running 10s since shutdown and yesterday we got sent home 8.3 on the b shift because they’re sayin we’re getting low on parts because of Mexico. Word is it may be like this for the next little while. I heard looms are in shorter supply amongst other things.