Fuel/Emissions and Swollen Lug Nuts?

The dealer just called me and tried to sell me a fuel/emissions "cleaning" while our 2018 Black Label was in for an oil change. Any idea if this is something we can do on our own?

They also said the lug nuts need to be replaced because they were swollen....WHAT???

Probably a fuel injector and/or intake cleaning - completely unnecessary on a 2018.

Lug nuts can become damaged to the point they need to be replaced if they're not careful and/or don't use the right socket.   Should be under warranty.

1 hour ago, jamesmcga said:

The dealer just called me and tried to sell me a fuel/emissions "cleaning" while our 2018 Black Label was in for an oil change. Any idea if this is something we can do on our own?

They also said the lug nuts need to be replaced because they were swollen....WHAT???

Hi james. No need for a "fuel/emissions cleaning", as akirby stated. That is simply a blatant attempt at a service up-sell to increase their profit. You can put a can of Techron  in your fuel tank next time you fill up. Job done.

And what they sell as an "intake service/cleaning" can not be performed on these Turbocharged/EcoBoost engine vehicles, due to the high likelihood of damaging the turbos. In fact, Lincoln/Ford specifically state not to perform these services.

As far as the lugnuts: What everyone told you above is correct. It is a known issue. Should be covered under warranty. However, they will be replaced with the same lugnuts which may/will eventually have the same issue.

What I would recommend is take the warranty replacement if offered. Then order yourself a set of McGard or Gorilla brand lugnuts to replace them. You can replace them yourself later. Do not even need to jack the vehicle up. Simply remove and replace one lugnut at a time. Remove and replace in a star pattern, the same as when changing a tire. And if you want to do it right, buy yourself a good torque wrench. It will always come in handy.

If the Dealer says it is not covered under warranty, you can contact Lincoln Concierge to involve them. Or say no thank you to paying them for replacements, order the new ones from McGard or Gorilla and replace them as explained above.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

1 hour ago, jamesmcga said:

Apparently there "was" a class action lawsuit about the lug nuts, but it was dismissed....crazy.

https://www.autonews.com/fixed-ops-journal/despite-lawsuit-dismissal-disputed-ford-lug-nuts-continue-complicate-dealership

Certainly not something that is worthy of a lawsuit.   As long as they're handled correctly they don't get messed up.  If the dealer did all your tire rotations tell them they owe you a new set.

3 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

The lug nut issue has been around on different vehicles since the 1970 when GM started using chrome lug nut "covers" on standard lug nuts.  If you have Lincoln Black Label service, the dealer should replace them, either as a warranty item or eat the cost.

I first encountered them on my 1990 Ranger.