The Bronco Is Back, Thanks to a Group of Obsessed Ford Employees

26 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Whether it's a retail purchase or lease, monthly payments are the deciding factor for most customers... at least in my market.

I still can't get over the number of people that say I have XXX a month for a car payment what can I get. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

I still can't get over the number of people that say I have XXX a month for a car payment what can I get. 

That shows you how many buyers are financing, deanh mentioned Escape leasing the other day

and mentioned that Explorer lease was currently around  $40 or $50 per month dearer.

Buyers who are shopping to a preset monthly payment are all over the map with what they can afford,

they can literally walk out the door with a completely different vehicle to what they set out to buy.

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Do people REALLY buy vehicles based on a monthly payment, rather than what they need (# of seats, towing capacity, luggage space, special requirements)?

HRG

abso-friggen lutely. Its called Champagne taste beer budget with total lack of arithmetic skills

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yes, a TON of people do that

I think HRG was taking the Navigator vs Escape example literally.  The point was somebody wants a navigator but can only afford an escape, not that they would actually cross shop them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think HRG was taking the Navigator vs Escape example literally.  The point was somebody wants a navigator but can only afford an escape, not that they would actually cross shop them.

I went extreme to emphasize a point....peoples mindsets are, shall we say "head scratching" sometimes to say the least...

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 5:01 PM, silvrsvt said:

The thing is the only reason the Bronco is around is because of the Ranger and the only reason the Ranger is around is because of the success of the GM twins. Not to mention gas prices being 50% cheaper (as of today) vs what it was 4-5-6 years ago too. 

If gas prices where still around $4-5 mark, the only thing we would have gotten was the Bronco Sport...which was part of the design proposal for "The Bronco" back 5 years ago. 

The fact is many of us who wanted a T6 Ranger and utility stateside were ridiculed for a long time. That also goes for those of us who spoke up when the boxy Escape went away. I remember being told no one will buy that stuff anymore and everyone wants a curvy feminine CUV or the absurd argument that the T6 Ranger is about the same size as the F-150. The same thing is happening right now if you question the wisdom in cancelling the Focus and Fusion in North America.

Well I guess those of us that were ridiculed right up until a couple years ago will get the last laugh because these products are going to do extremely well. The moral of the story is people need to stop pretending to be an expert when it comes to thinking you know what people want. I applaud Ford on the effort of bringing the Ranger back in the US and also bringing a real 2 door (also told a huge mistake) and 4 door SUV plus a proper boxy small CUV to market. 

Ok my rant is over and I won't bring this up again, but I hope people keep a more open mind in the future about new products.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

That shows you how many buyers are financing, deanh mentioned Escape leasing the other day

and mentioned that Explorer lease was currently around  $40 or $50 per month dearer.

Buyers who are shopping to a preset monthly payment are all over the map with what they can afford,

they can literally walk out the door with a completely different vehicle to what they set out to buy.

Thanks all for the reply's, this explains why I've stayed in Manufacturing/Engineering all these years, rather than Retail/Sales.  I'd be spending all day explaining to customers how to live within their means,,,,

HRG

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

The fact is many of us who wanted a T6 Ranger and utility stateside were ridiculed for a long time. That also goes for those of us who spoke up when the boxy Escape went away. I remember being told no one will buy that stuff anymore and everyone wants a curvy feminine CUV or the absurd argument that the T6 Ranger is about the same size as the F-150. The same thing is happening right now if you question the wisdom in cancelling the Focus and Fusion in North America.

Well I guess those of us that were ridiculed right up until a couple years ago will get the last laugh because these products are going to do extremely well. The moral of the story is people need to stop pretending to be an expert when it comes to thinking you know what people want. I applaud Ford on the effort of bringing the Ranger back in the US and also bringing a real 2 door (also told a huge mistake) and 4 door SUV plus a proper boxy small CUV to market. 

Ok my rant is over and I won't bring this up again, but I hope people keep a more open mind in the future about new products.

Just remember that up until about 2015, Ford still held the line about not wanting Ranger or Bronco,

it even let Expedition and Navigator languish as old stales vehicles. But the biggest insult of all was

letting the poor selling MKT remain until just recently instead of embracing a true Aviator back in 2011.

There were many indicators of Ford not perceiving change an moving quickly enough and from about

2014 on GM powered on past Ford with big profits by casting it's net wider.

We all know that car sales were receding but Ford hastened the demise with crappy refreshes

while GM spent way more money bringing it's cars up to speed only to kill them off in a giant

four plant closure. It's the speed of change that takes people by surprise as vehicles that 

people expect to be there suddenly aren't anymore. 

I'm glad that Ford is finally looking to  add chunky utilities and smaller pickups to the range,

it's kind of the antidote to the sameness that was freaking into the sea of utilities that

now beset buyers on all sides. I hope it also encourages Ford to do more with BEVs.

I believe there is still room for cars but only as high value niches like Mustang,

there possibly is a case for adding in some NG Focus or Mondeo vehicles

either as imports like Ecosport or incremental product at one of Ford's 

North American plants, but yes there are much bigger fish to fry now.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Thanks all for the reply's, this explains why I've stayed in Manufacturing/Engineering all these years, rather than Retail/Sales.  I'd be spending all day explaining to customers how to live within their means,,,,

HRG

even worse where I am...Orange County....all about image....

Edited by Deanh

28 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Just imagine if you had access to cheap finance that accepted sub prime buyers you'd be all set.....

lol..I work a little differently...unless Im 100 percent comfortable I wont deliver a car without an approval...and that $hite still gos on...

Edited by Deanh
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Deanh said:

lol..I work a little differently...unless Im 100 percent comfortable I wont deliver a car without an approval...and that $hite still gos one...

Well then I guess there goes your chance to work at FCA

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Well then I guess there goes your chance to work at FCA

eventually  anything and  everything that's even slightly underhanded comes back and bites one in the backside....I don't need the drama caused by the aftermath...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deanh said:

eventually  anything and  everything that's even slightly underhanded comes back and bites one in the backside....I don't need the drama caused by the aftermath...

I'm actually glad that Ford and it's dealers stayed away from getting buyers in too deep with financing,

decades of wisdom in selling shows that happy customers are more inclined to return over and over

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I'm actually glad that Ford and it's dealers stayed away from getting buyers in too deep with financing,

decades of wisdom in selling shows that happy customers are more inclined to return over and over

bingo...90 percent of my business is repeat and return customers...must be the aftershave...Brut33....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ive just heard a rumor that they have more reservations than we will be able to build in a year

That is what icecapades was warning about in recent postings, Ford over promises

and then can't deliver. People turn up at dealers wanting to see vehicles can't and

worse told +12 months wait on ordering.

Ford is just incapable of moving fast enough to let itself have a runaway sales winner

they'd sooner throttle sales  and charge even higher prices than see three shift production. 

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1