Ford to Goodyear, "get wrangler off the Bronco tires"

https://www.motor1.com/news/434165/ford-bronco-goodyear-wrangler-tires/

Automakers are like politicians – they're loathe to acknowledge a rival. Instead, other brands and their products are “the competition,” or something similar. But in developing the 2021 Ford Bronco to beat the snot out of the Jeep Wrangler, the Blue Oval ran into an issue: one of the most popular off-road tires on the market is the Goodyear… Wrangler. Oh dear.

It just wouldn't do for Ford's most significant new product in years to feature its arch-rival's name five separate times on the exterior. After all, how silly would a Mustang look with “Camaro” all over it, or an F-150 with multiple “Ram” logos? Exactly. And that's why when the new Bronco arrives in Spring 2021, it will do so with special Goodyear tires that lack the typical Wrangler badging. But not entirely.

Well, they could always go to Pep Boys and spec out some Futura tires....oh, wait....

Or, get with Bridgestone/Firestone and put on some Duelers or Destinations.

image.png.691930c0e882884b63e87b9486e8be30.png      image.png.ee8ce18422ff1a0866d07c84a4124549.png

Or, Hankook makes the Dynapro MT2.

image.png.f80dae41771965b975ca5786aa6ddd2a.png

Or, BF Goodrich....
image.png.5d0bb77f354e9920d4d7d8776b319750.png

Point is, there are other options than demanding that Goodyear scrub the name "Wrangler" from the tire. And I am guessing that now with Mahindra dealt with and their case of the curious CJ, maybe FCA will just sue Goodyear to get "their" name off the sidewalls of Goodyear tires .

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Yes but for Ranger the overwhelmingly prefer Bridgestone by a country mile.

Exactly....Bridgstone Dueler M/T seems like a logical fitment.....unless Goodyear WANTS that business, they'll need to scrub the name.

Here's the kicker...Goodyear ALREADY has an M/T tire that is NOT named Wrangler....

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/fierce-attitude-mt

FYI - it comes in a 35x12.50x17LT size

image.thumb.png.28ada6b7fbc6276d13f8762006df2e18.png

Edited by twintornados

Ford works with tire mfrs on most vehicles.  On the Lincoln LS they went through 20 different prototypes with Firestone before settling on the final version.  And that was only expected to sell 75k or so per year.   They don’t normally just use stock tires anyway.

• Like 2

I'm sure Goodyear can make an OEM version without the Wrangler font on the sidewall if they want to supply tires to Bronco. And they appeared to have come to a reasonable compromise per the article:

Ford confirmed this to Motor1.com, with spokesman Sam Schembari saying, “[The Wrangler name] will be removed from the Goodyear's side wall on the outboard side. Bronco Customers will not see it unless their tires are off the vehicle and the inboard side is visible.”

Why not strip the word off entirely? According to Schembari, it's because the Wrangler name is “still part of [Goodyear's] aftermarket branding

OEMs make customer specific versions for non-retail use all the time in every industry. I don't see why this is even a big deal. If Goodyear doesn't want the business, I'm sure Bridgestone, Hankook, Continental, or Michelin are more than happy to take it. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I'm sure Goodyear can make an OEM version without the Wrangler font on the sidewall if they want to supply tires to Bronco. And they appeared to have come to a reasonable compromise per the article:

OEMs make customer specific versions for non-retail use all the time in every industry. I don't see why this is even a big deal. If Goodyear doesn't want the business, I'm sure Bridgestone, Hankook, Continental, or Michelin are more than happy to take it. 

This is how that conversation went.

Ford:  Hey can you make a version For a Bronco that doesn’t say Wrangler?

Goodyear:  Sure!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, probowler said:

So will this mean you can only buy stock replacement tires from Ford?  And will they cost more I wonder?

No, of course not.  My point was just that if you do get the Wrangler ones from Ford, you'll have to make sure they put them on right.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Of course not.  You can always buy aftermarket versions same as today.

No, what I meant was if you want exact OEM replacements, can you only get them from Ford? Or will other tire shops be able to order those specially marked wranglers?

2 hours ago, probowler said:

No, what I meant was if you want exact OEM replacements, can you only get them from Ford? Or will other tire shops be able to order those specially marked wranglers?

All the ones I know about were available to regular tire dealers.

• Like 1