Ford to Goodyear, "get wrangler off the Bronco tires"

10 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

Who chooses Goodyear tires, anyway?

It drives me crazy that Ford puts Pirelli tires on a Mustang GT. It's America's original pony car but the company cuts costs to the bone by putting foreign tires on the Mustang instead of Goodyear Eagles. I don't care if the Pirelli tires or another brand are made here. The Mustang should have American brand tires! 

Edited by ice-capades
grammer
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

It drives me crazy that Ford puts Pirelli tires on a Mustang GT. It's America's original pony car but the company cuts costs to the bone by putting foreign tires on the Mustang instead of Goodyear Eagles. I don't care if the Pirelli tires or another brand are made here. The Mustang should have American brand tires! 

If you've ever seen the Pirelli calendar, you'd understand why someone in Procurement is doing business with them,,,,,

HRG

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

So what's the point about the Pirelli calendar? 

Never mind. It was a feeble attempt at humor, when vendors (like Pirelli) send out marketing materials to customers (like Ford) to keep their name & products under consideration.

Kind of like the calendar I have hanging nearby, with the name of a Ford Dealership at the bottom.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

53 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Never mind. It was a feeble attempt at humor, when vendors (like Pirelli) send out marketing materials to customers (like Ford) to keep their name & products under consideration.

Kind of like the calendar I have hanging nearby, with the name of a Ford Dealership at the bottom.

HRG

Okay

9 hours ago, ice-capades said:

My 1988 Mustang came with Goodyear Eagles, funny, the back tires only lasted 15k miles...

12 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Eh, my T-Bird SC had Goodyears on it when I bought it. Worst dang tires I ever had. I haven’t bought Goodyears in over 25 years because of them. 

On 7/17/2020 at 9:24 AM, ice-capades said:

During my time at Ford in the 90's and 00's we had numerous issues with Goodyear. They were just not quality tires for the most part, and on the purchasing side they were a bunch of hard to work with jerks.  (Constantly trying to re-negotiate after the supply agreements were signed,  threatening to withhold tires from the plant if we did not agree, amongst other things.)  With the Firestone fiasco and then Goodyear issues it really forced us to look at other brands.  Don't know how this Ford/Goodyear relationship is now, though.

On the P415 program I worked on (09-14 F-150) we even had to bring Hankook into the mix which I hated.  They were cheap (both in price and quality) but we needed something for the lower end XL's and STX's to save a few bucks.  Like with this Bronco / Goodyear Wrangler discussion we didn't make Hankook take their name off the tires but we did ensure only black outline letters were used.  We would not put white outline letters of "Hankook" on our all-American F-150.  :)

• Like 1