Transit issues...

ok, had an issue ( aside from the dreaded driveshaft puck ) come to my attn about a month ago. Customer bought a Transit mid roof extended to transport his motocross bike ( stud...hes 75! ) said at right around 75 the van was damn near undrivable due to a drone. Well I just delivered two vans on separate days to a School District 100 miles away...and Ill be damned...right at 75mph and above it literally sounds as though a Subaru WRX with a fart can exhaust is at redline besides you....shockingly bad....how the hell did that get missed in all the millions of miles Ford tested the vans????? Anyone have any ideas...hes already going through the lemon law avenue, which sucks...

5 hours ago, Deanh said:

ok, had an issue ( aside from the dreaded driveshaft puck ) come to my attn about a month ago. Customer bought a Transit mid roof extended to transport his motocross bike ( stud...hes 75! ) said at right around 75 the van was damn near undrivable due to a drone. Well I just delivered two vans on separate days to a School District 100 miles away...and Ill be damned...right at 75mph and above it literally sounds as though a Subaru WRX with a fart can exhaust is at redline besides you....shockingly bad....how the hell did that get missed in all the millions of miles Ford tested the vans????? Anyone have any ideas...hes already going through the lemon law avenue, which sucks...

Could be an issue with tailshaft. If not, it's gonna get ugly with diff or gearbox.....

5 hours ago, lfeg said:

Windows open or closed? With my '13 F150 if I have all windows open (Supercab) at 55 to 60 mph the wind buffeting sets up a drumming drone so bad it hurts your ears.

99-before aluminum body superdutys do that like crazy on the crew cab models.. it's painful! Don't know if the newer ones do it too, haven't been in one.

As far as transit, I wonder if it's just a harmonics issue with the sides vibrating at a certain speed.. but bet it could be solved with a little bit of dynamat type material stuck on the sides of the interior walls.

17 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

yeah what is it with these sedans today that sound like a helicopter when the rear window are down?  I don't remember this happening back in the 60's/70's/80's?  Do you?

I think it’s just better weather sealing in the cabin. I run my sun roof Open and rear windows cracked and have no issues. Just have one or the other open and you get thumping. 

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 6:56 PM, SoonerLS said:

Hmm. I‘ve driven Transits at 75-80mph (hooray for Oklahoma turnpikes and Texas two-lanes), and I don’t recall any drone. They were high-roof Transit 350s and low-roof wagons, so maybe the medium roof makes a difference. 

his is a mid roof, the two I drove were low...its not body specific...

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 5:04 AM, lfeg said:

Windows open or closed? With my '13 F150 if I have all windows open (Supercab) at 55 to 60 mph the wind buffeting sets up a drumming drone so bad it hurts your ears.

closed...trust me...its OBNOXIOUS...

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 6:56 PM, SoonerLS said:

Hmm. I‘ve driven Transits at 75-80mph (hooray for Oklahoma turnpikes and Texas two-lanes), and I don’t recall any drone. They were high-roof Transit 350s and low-roof wagons, so maybe the medium roof makes a difference. 

I was told Ford is aware of the issue and may be coming out with a whole new driveshaft...I want to know how the hell this wasn't noticed?...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Deanh said:

I was told Ford is aware of the issue and may be coming out with a whole new driveshaft...I want to know how the hell this wasn't noticed?...

The old story, "we knew about this, but we figured that we would only address it when someone complained enough about it".

• Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 10:29 AM, silvrsvt said:

I think it’s just better weather sealing in the cabin. I run my sun roof Open and rear windows cracked and have no issues. Just have one or the other open and you get thumping. 

That’s exactly it.  Nowhere for the air to get out anymore.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

That’s exactly it.  Nowhere for the air to get out anymore.

its not...its driveline related...specifically driveshaft Im being told...quite familiar with the drumming in my  car when one window is cracked….crack another it gos away...this is entirely different

14 hours ago, Deanh said:

its not...its driveline related...specifically driveshaft Im being told...quite familiar with the drumming in my  car when one window is cracked….crack another it gos away...this is entirely different

Yep, Ford has been having a ton of trouble with the guibo flex couplers failing,

the permanent fix is universal joints but Ford has been stalling and just replacing

the couplings as they fail prematurely.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 8:06 PM, Deanh said:

Anyone have any ideas...hes already going through the lemon law avenue, which sucks...

History has shown that Ford will not fix a serious problem like this until there are a significant number of buy backs.

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 1

Wondering if the updated kit was ever produced.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2874/safety-recall-17s15-driveshaft-flexible-coupling-replacement-2015-2017-ford-transit

Ford will notify owners, and as an interim repair, dealers will replace the flexible coupling on any vehicle with more than 30,000 miles. A final remedy repair of a redesigned flexible coupling or a revised driveshaft equipped with a universal joint is being developed and is expected in early 2018. These repairs will be made free of charge. Interim notifications informing owners of the safety risk were mailed July 21, 2017. Owners will receive a second notice when remedy parts become available. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford’s number for this recall is 17S15.

21 hours ago, Deanh said:

I know.  That was a different sub topic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

Found a video that answers my question, yes...Ford has a kit to replace the guibo joint. I like that the video shows the replacement process without the chatter of a mechanic trying to be a video star...

Ive seen em before they were replaced....I guess the upgraded torque of the US engines in comparison with the EU versions may have overwhelmed the coupler...but ...big but...even the replac ements are failing...and Im not sure the coupler is the  cause of the drone.... 

• Like 1

My neighbor has an Econoline van and wants to upgrade to the larger vans out in the market-mentioned the Transit and he said not a chance-due to this issue-he's buddies with someone at one of our local dealer's and just said these driveshafts last about 30K. This is where Ford fails miserably and looks like they've learned nothing from previous fuck ups. 

36 minutes ago, kyle said:

My neighbor has an Econoline van and wants to upgrade to the larger vans out in the market-mentioned the Transit and he said not a chance-due to this issue-he's buddies with someone at one of our local dealer's and just said these driveshafts last about 30K. This is where Ford fails miserably and looks like they've learned nothing from previous fuck ups. 

Apparently, this is why every van I see is a Sprinter or a Dodge.