Ford executives, dealers report big early demand for 2021 Bronco

22 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

They're building just under 12k at the moment on one shift, I don't see demand for the '21 going through the roof

You do realise that the all new Ranger is still about two years away, yes?

Yep, my point was that the 2021 Ranger production will start in December...Therefore, if Ford so chooses, they can ramp up Ranger production to prepare for Bronco production (produce more Rangers than typical from December thru February in order to free up production capacity for the initial Bronco demand).  This plan could eliminate the need for OT/additional shifts to compensate for Bronco production.  Just a thought since nobody seems to know or wants to share the actual production capacity for MAP or how many Broncos can or will be produced for the 2021 MY.  

2 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Yep, my point was that the 2021 Ranger production will start in December...Therefore, if Ford so chooses, they can ramp up Ranger production to prepare for Bronco production (produce more Rangers than typical from December thru February in order to free up production capacity for the initial Bronco demand).  This plan could eliminate the need for OT/additional shifts to compensate for Bronco production.  Just a thought since nobody seems to know or wants to share the actual production capacity for MAP or how many Broncos can or will be produced for the 2021 MY.  

They're going to two shifts when Bronco starts, there won't be any rebalance of the line until then.

Before covid  hit, Ranger inventory was starting to get bigger than desirable, now back under control.

38 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

They're building just under 12k at the moment on one shift, I don't see demand for the '21 going through the roof

You do realise that the all new Ranger is still about two years away, yes?

I think he was trying to get at the idea that they can produce some extra Rangers prior to Bronco launch so that they can build more Broncos without affecting Ranger sales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

They're going to two shifts when Bronco starts, there won't be any rebalance of the line until then.

Before covid  hit, Ranger inventory was starting to get bigger than desirable, now back under control.

Two shifts doesn’t mean anything unless we know how many Broncos will be produced during each shift.  If Ranger sales/production continue to hover above 100k units per year, what is total production capacity for Ranger+Bronco running two shifts?

You and RMC both missed the subtle hint I was giving with current build numbers,

Ford is more than matching monthly sales demand and inventory is right where Ford wants it.

Ford has already indicated how many Broncos it wants to build next year.

Edited by jpd80

10 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

You and RMC both missed the subtle hint I was giving with current build numbers,

Ford is more than matching monthly sales demand and inventory is right where Ford wants it.

Ford has already indicated how many Broncos it wants to build next year.

So in your estimation, what is the number?   Say there are 100k customer orders for Bronco, will Ford produce 150k to account for dealer stock?

Ford desperately needs a good launch with Bronco, I just hope the occasion doesn't pressure them 

into going too fast at the start, they need slower line speeds until everyone and everything clicks into gear.

That's why it's hard to estimate production in early months, much easier when they're set and ramping up.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I wonder what the demand is like for the bronco sport? It’s first edition also sold out and just about all the press I’ve seen about it has been positive.

First Edition Bronco Sport was limited to 2,000 units, there's gonna be plenty of spare stock for dealers.

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

While not asking you specifics on Bronco manufacturing, can you please share how super Saturdays work,

Would Rangers still  be built along with Broncos, or do they just build Bronco exclusively on those days?

Or does a change like that completely screw up line speed and timing of workers and parts?

Nothing changes, it's just an extra day of production 

• Like 2

The last time I jumped on a pre-launch bandwagon is was the Kick-Starter for The Coolest (a portable cooler with a whole slew of do-dads).  Even though they came through in the end, that wasn't a good experience.  I was one of the initial orders and had to wait at least six months from launch to have a product in my hands.  I'm not saying Ford will run into production issues but anyone that pre-ordered is going to get real antsy as we roll into Q2 2021.  If availability starts mid-year will there be some folks who don't take delivery into the fall or winter?  I'd be curious what Ford caps pre-orders at and if they are only a portion of planned units.  Or would Ford bet on a large percentage of pre-orders falling through and oversell?  My Explorer lease is up in June 2021 and I'd love to lease a Bronco but I'm not holding my breath that there will be anything at the dealerships.

6 minutes ago, JEMetzger said:

The last time I jumped on a pre-launch bandwagon is was the Kick-Starter for The Coolest (a portable cooler with a whole slew of do-dads).  Even though they came through in the end, that wasn't a good experience.  I was one of the initial orders and had to wait at least six months from launch to have a product in my hands.  I'm not saying Ford will run into production issues but anyone that pre-ordered is going to get real antsy as we roll into Q2 2021.  If availability starts mid-year will there be some folks who don't take delivery into the fall or winter?  I'd be curious what Ford caps pre-orders at and if they are only a portion of planned units.  Or would Ford bet on a large percentage of pre-orders falling through and oversell?  My Explorer lease is up in June 2021 and I'd love to lease a Bronco but I'm not holding my breath that there will be anything at the dealerships.

My best guess as to what will happen is anyone's order that runs out of time to be built in the 2021 Model Year will probably be given the option to convert  it to 2022 or given a refund and reorder or something along those lines. I could see 2022 having few changes to it for that reason. 

There are some things planned that I can't talk about though that could help some people make that kind decision easier for some of those people. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

My best guess as to what will happen is anyone's order that runs out of time to be built in the 2021 Model Year will probably be given the option to convert  it to 2022 or given a refund and reorder or something along those lines. I could see 2022 having few changes to it for that reason. 

There are some things planned that I can't talk about though that could help some people make that kind decision easier for some of those people. 

I know for me, it's already looking like Velocity Blue is a late availability option, so I'm wondering if I'll be one of those ones toward the end of the model year by that point.    Honestly, if that happens and they add A/C seats for 2022, I wouldn't even be mad ? ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 12:12 PM, rmc523 said:

I know for me, it's already looking like Velocity Blue is a late availability option, so I'm wondering if I'll be one of those ones toward the end of the model year by that point.    Honestly, if that happens and they add A/C seats for 2022, I wouldn't even be mad ? ?

Cooled seats are the greatest invention since sliced bread.... What a revelation.

Seriously though, that is one of the smaller reasons why I don't mind waiting.