Claim: Ford Developing EV Ranger

If this has been posted/discussed already, I apologize. Embedded in the linked article is this:

Ford will engineer and build a midsize electric pickup truck that will be sold by VW as an Amarok, one of the company's mainstay pickup brands. The vehicle will sit under VW's commercial vehicles wing and will be made on the chassis of the Ford Ranger, which Ford is now redesigning.

The vehicle is due in showrooms in 2022. VW told The Drive that it doesn't plan to sell the Amarok in the U.S.

The Ford-VW commercial tie-up will also result in an electric version of VW's Caddy, which VW has produced as a panel van for a decade, as well as an as-yet-unnamed 1-ton electric van made by Ford.

The two automakers expect the pickup and two vans to collectively yield 8 million EVs.

"Working with Volkswagen on these platforms will provide both of us significant financial advantages in things like engineering, and plants and tooling," said Jim Farley, Ford's chief operating officer.

I missed all of this - has it been under discussion somewhere on the forum? Conceivably, this Ranger development means an EV Bronco could be possible (as a response to Hummer, if Ford were so inclined. Seems silly right now when Ford will be challenged to build the Bronco to meet demand, but in the future,... ?).

https://www.eenews.net/stories/1063366651

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Not helpful.

What we do know:

We are getting an electric F-150 and Transit in the next 24 months

With that said, I wouldn't expect a BEV Ranger or Bronco for at least another 36-48 months. The NG Ranger should be out in 18 or so months (heard it might have been delayed a bit due to COVID) and the Bronco would be due for a MCE or something around that time. Adding a BEV would be a great idea at that time. Since the Warthog will most likely come out in late 2021 or so as a 2022 MY to keep interest in the Bronco lineup. 

• Like 1

There are electric versions planned of almost every vehicle Ford makes, world governments are demanding the adoption of it. Hybrid and electric versions of the Ranger and Bronco are under development. The Ranger, Bronco & Everest will need the powertrain in coming years to be sold in certain States and Countries in the future. 

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

What we do know:

We are getting an electric F-150 and Transit in the next 24 months

With that said, I wouldn't expect a BEV Ranger or Bronco for at least another 36-48 months. The NG Ranger should be out in 18 or so months (heard it might have been delayed a bit due to COVID) and the Bronco would be due for a MCE or something around that time. Adding a BEV would be a great idea at that time. Since the Warthog will most likely come out in late 2021 or so as a 2022 MY to keep interest in the Bronco lineup. 

Nope, model year 2023. Likely Q4 2022.

20200721_140051.jpg

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's an all electric full size Transit van. They announced it late last year. 

Ford is making an electric full size Transit but not for VW.

VW already has its own electric full size Crafter. https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/electric-vans.html

The electric van Ford is making for VW is probably a Transit Custom.

Edited by bzcat

It's now mid 2020 and by 2023 we should be seeing BEVs as a big  part of the Ford -VW alliance,

it has to happen because Europe and China are moving to electric vehicles with new regulations.

So we should be seeing everything from ICEs,  hybrids, extended range EVs to full BEVs depending

on the regional needs around the globe.

Most people have no idea just how big these projects have become, they will bring in lots of money for both partners.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Yeah, a year or so ago there was a big hubub about ford's massive electrification plans to have 20+ hybrids and electrics, so I definitely believe it. It also makes sense economically to make a joint bronco/ranger EV powertrain.

Ford doesn't have a massive lineup, so to get all those EVs means they're going to have to throw that tech in just about everything to achieve that goal. Still not sure how I like them teaming up with Volkswagon but maybe since they're pretty far away from each other as competitors with different target markets that a partnership in this matter could be mutually beneficial without and risk of one side hurting the other.

Edited by probowler

17 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's an all electric full size Transit van. They announced it late last year. 

Hard to believe Ford would hand VW the keys to that vehicle in EV form - it's the backbone of their commercial fleet in Europe, and not unimportant in the U.S..

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

Hard to believe Ford would hand VW the keys to that vehicle in EV form - it's the backbone of their commercial fleet in Europe, and not unimportant in the U.S..

Ford is providing transit based vans to VW, It's also providing Ranger based Amorok as well but,.

In return, VW provides Caddy based Transit Connect and MQB Electric vehicle toolkit to Ford Europe.

Edited by jpd80

51 minutes ago, passis said:

A bit related to the EV version of Ranger is this info on its new architecture, which answers a question I had never read explicitly: the unification of Ranger and F series platforms:

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/future-ranger-and-f-150-to-share-common-platform-twin-medium-and-full-sized-truck-strategy

It’s not as far fetched as you think-they can share a lot outside of physical parts like frames and sheet metal. 

you can see this already with the Bronco-it’s using the same IP parts as the F-150. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

It’s not as far fetched as you think-they can share a lot outside of physical parts like frames and sheet metal. 

you can see this already with the Bronco-it’s using the same IP parts as the F-150. 

I'm reliably informed that the frames and crash protection structure is pretty much unique design to the vehicles,

anyone with half a brain will see through the hype and know that is all about taking Ranger back to a US design.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I'm reliably informed that the frames and crash protection structure is pretty much unique design to the vehicles,

anyone with half a brain will see through the hype and know that is all about taking Ranger back to a US design.

Does that suggest that the 'EV Ranger' claimed to be under development is essentially an offshoot of the EV F150 already well progressed in its development cycle?

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Didn’t they refresh the Falcon to use common (EUCD?) parts at some point? (Wiring harness, etc). Wouldn’t that make sense for Ford trucks even if the platforms are still unique?

5 hours ago, sullynd said:

Didn’t they refresh the Falcon to use common (EUCD?) parts at some point? (Wiring harness, etc). Wouldn’t that make sense for Ford trucks even if the platforms are still unique?

Falcon used EUCD slim door technology but it never claimed to be an EUCD. The difference is that

Ford is letting people think  that the "common architecture" extends to frame modules, it doesn't.

I understand that Ranger's power train and part sourcing must ultimately move to US control.

It just seems so unfair that the Aussies did all the hard yards and now America wants the pay off.

Edited by jpd80