Ford Maverick tailgate leaked

1 minute ago, bzcat said:

American Ranger tailgate is also straight where the letters are stamped. Rest of the world Ranger tailgate has a concave curve where the stickers are applied.  

2019-ford-ranger-tailgate-bed.jpg

ranger_082-xl.jpg?itok=QHLc-FdH

There's also that lip at the top above the latch. I never noticed there was such a difference between the two. 

I do wish since they had gone through the trouble of redesigning the tailgate for NA that they had made it more like the F-150 (and by extension the Maverick).  The styling by the R A N G E R lettering could be better ( ala F-150 ).  It would have made it more in line with the "Ford truck family"

H8208f0dfefec407fbc3cc879b6652d2eC.jpg

• Like 2

The Transit Connect that the engineering modules are based on is roughly 72" wide

with hip and shoulder room close to the current Ranger. Make no mistake, Maverick

Pickup will definitely be a strong point of differentiation in a sea of vanilla utilities.

I like what Ford is doing with the Maverick, it's filling an obvious gap left by the older Ranger

while giving the new Ranger some licence to fill out it's proportions more and improve its

interior roominess. I can see Ford starting to  outflank GM and FCA / Stellantis here and

adding to Bronco Sport without needing to use the Bronco brand ...very clever. 

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Now THAT looks like a Flex!

And it looks way too big to be a Maverick even if there is extra camo on the rear.

Look at where the rear exhaust is... there is about 8 or 9" of extra camo after that to throw you off.

I'm sure someone more handy with photoshop can superimpose Transit Connect LWB over this truck. I think the wheelbase looks about the same and I think Maverick will end up not much longer.

Ford-Maverick-Pickup-Prototype-July-2020

2014-Ford-Transit-Connect-Taxi-Exterior-

Edited by bzcat

21 minutes ago, 92merc said:

If you look closely, you can see the left tail light behind the white.  It's forward more than the camo.  Hiding the true length.

I think you are right. I’d guess the end of the truck is probably right where the white mesh for the taillights starts.

it looks pretty good from what we can see.

I’m just not seeing where this fits with such a tiny bed and 4 doors,  I get that it’s unibody and cheaper than Ranger.  I keep thinking a single cab with a 5.5‘-6’ bed like the old rangers would fit better.   Or maybe that just old school thinking.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, akirby said:

I’m just not seeing where this fits with such a tiny bed and 4 doors,  I get that it’s unibody and cheaper than Ranger.  I keep thinking a single cab with a 5.5‘-6’ bed like the old rangers would fit better.   Or maybe that just old school thinking.

If you are using a truck for work or if you carry stuff often, a larger bed makes sense. But most people use trucks as daily drivers these days and rarely use the bed to its full potential. I’ve had several f150s and rangers over the years and most of the time the bed was either empty, or at the most half full, so for the majority of the time, a smaller bed would have been just fine. Also a 4ft bed still allows you to carry objects that won’t fit inside of an suv. Or carry things that you wouldn’t want inside your car, like mulch. It also makes the vehicle more likely to fit into a garage. If there is an off-road version, the shorter bed allows better departure angles.

I really liked the last gen of the sport trac. This would be an ideal vehicle for me now.
2008-ford-sport-trac-adre-2.jpg

2 hours ago, akirby said:

My thinking is that the market these days at that price point is looking more for overall utility and is more likely to use it as a DD/family vehicle with a handy occasional bed than mostly a truck as someone else pointed out above.  Which makes having 4 doors basically a necessity.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I agree, I believe that there's a market for a lower-cost basic transportation vehicle like the old Ranger, but that doesn't fit with the position that many have that higher ATP's are the best approach for a healthy company.

Consider this, selling 200K lower-cost vehicles that need oil changes, tires and maintenance over years of use may provide greater revenue than 50K vehicles with a higher 1-time profit.  More vehicles mean more plants (assembly & suppliers) as well as more employee's, like Fuzzy.

HRG

36 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Consider this, selling 200K lower-cost vehicles that need oil changes, tires and maintenance over years of use may provide greater revenue than 50K vehicles with a higher 1-time profit. 

Ford doesn’t make a nickel on any of those maintenance items.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

My thinking is that the market these days at that price point is looking more for overall utility and is more likely to use it as a DD/family vehicle with a handy occasional bed than mostly a truck as someone else pointed out above.  Which makes having 4 doors basically a necessity.

I think a utility with a closed back is more appealing than the open bed for the vast majority of those buyers though.

Maybe I’m overthinking it.  I’m sure there is a bigger ROW market.

20 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think a utility with a closed back is more appealing than the open bed for the vast majority of those buyers though.

Maybe I’m overthinking it.  I’m sure there is a bigger ROW market.

I don't know, I'm just guessing - I'm assuming Ford has done a ton of market research that says there's a market for this vehicle.  Either that or they're deathly afraid of missing out/being late to a new segment (like how they were late with Ranger).

47 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ford doesn’t make a nickel on any of those maintenance items.

Corporate doesn't, but the dealers... wait... they make very little too.  

Fwiw, Akirby talking about it not making sense, during the school year (if we have one again) , I daily my Focus to drop kids off. Summer time, it is my 2WD regular cab shorty Ranger. If I had to get something to replace one, or both, I might consider this, if it is offered with the right powertrain.   

Edited by YT90SC