Ford Maverick tailgate leaked

6 hours ago, akirby said:

I’m just not seeing where this fits with such a tiny bed and 4 doors,  I get that it’s unibody and cheaper than Ranger.  I keep thinking a single cab with a 5.5‘-6’ bed like the old rangers would fit better.   Or maybe that just old school thinking.

This type of vehicle provides Ford with an opportunity to get creative with how the bed will function.  It doesn’t have to be as heavy duty as an F Series or a Ranger, so perhaps they will come up with some interesting solutions to making a small bed big, other than the traditional bed extender.  

• Like 1

It's a clever reconfiguration of the LWB Transit Connect Crew Van into a dual cab pickup

but that's not to say there won't be a regular cab version with a much longer bed.

The lower ride height approximates the ROW Ranger 2WD low rider pickups (Google and you'll see what I mean)

so as a bottom end extension of the 2WD pickup market, the lower costs of a C2 based Maverick

makes a lot of sense and gives Ford a massive advantage in compacts that no one else is presently

covering in North America...how cool is that.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

... gives Ford a massive advantage in compacts that no one else is presently

covering in North America...

Well, Hyundai is also to launch a similar unibody pickup (Santa fé, santa cruz, vera fé... One of those inquisition names)

1 hour ago, tbone said:

This type of vehicle provides Ford with an opportunity to get creative with how the bed will function.  It doesn’t have to be as heavy duty as an F Series or a Ranger, so perhaps they will come up with some interesting solutions to making a small bed big, other than the traditional bed extender.  

I guess I’m overthinking the size of the bed.  I purposely got a Supercab f150 to get the 6.5’ bed instead of the 5.5 but I haul a good bit of lumber and plywood.

4 feet is probably good for a small unibody pickup.

I think it’s virtually guaranteed to get the TC 2.0L.

1 hour ago, passis said:

Well, Hyundai is also to launch a similar unibody pickup (Santa fé, santa cruz, vera fé... One of those inquisition names)

In comparison to the Maverick, I think a lot of Hyundai buyers are going to be disappointed.

I'm told that the US effort is different to what Hyundai has planned globally as a mid-sized pickup.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, akirby said:

I’m just not seeing where this fits with such a tiny bed and 4 doors,  I get that it’s unibody and cheaper than Ranger.  I keep thinking a single cab with a 5.5‘-6’ bed like the old rangers would fit better.   Or maybe that just old school thinking.

Bed is longer than it looks. The door opening in the camo goes back another foot than the actual cab. 

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I'd bet that a healthy number of crew cab F150s are used as little more than  shopping trolleys.

Not every pickup hauls lumber. Many contractors will use these to pull trailers with their tools and material.

Not to mention that a Supercrew with 4' of length can still haul a pallet with 500lbs of items or a 36" reel of cable weighing the same.

These buyers know exactly what they are buying and how it will fit their needs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-150 said:

Not every pickup hauls lumber. Many contractors will use these to pull trailers with their tools and material.

Not to mention that a Supercrew with 4' of length can still haul a pallet with 500lbs of items or a 36" reel of cable weighing the same.

As well as a Supercab with a 5'6" bed would do.....if available.

4 hours ago, J-150 said:

That wasn't my point, most F150s are sold as super crews, a good portion of those will be used like sedans

and may never tow a trailer or maybe rarely if the need arises, The bed size is not even a factor for those folks,

20 hours ago, jpd80 said:

That wasn't my point, most F150s are sold as super crews, a good portion of those will be used like sedans

and may never tow a trailer or maybe rarely if the need arises, The bed size is not even a factor for those folks,

I know I would look more seriously at an Expedition if the staring price wasn't $16-17K more than a SuperCrew F150.  When I bought my 1st-gen '97, I don't remember there being a 50% upcharge just to get into the product.

HRG

18 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I know I would look more seriously at an Expedition if the staring price wasn't $16-17K more than a SuperCrew F150.  When I bought my 1st-gen '97, I don't remember there being a 50% upcharge just to get into the product.

HRG

$16-17K more? Depends on how you're comparing a F-150 SuperCrew vs. Expedition. Apples vs. oranges.

1 minute ago, ice-capades said:

$16-17K more? Depends on how you're comparing a F-150 SuperCrew vs. Expedition. Apples vs. oranges.

Agreed, but all I'm comparing is full-size 4-doors.  The cost of admission to get a full-size 4-door product is a LOT less with the F-150.

HRG

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Agreed, but all I'm comparing is full-size 4-doors.  The cost of admission to get a full-size 4-door product is a LOT less with the F-150.

HRG

Sorry but it's still apples vs. oranges. F-150 SuperCrew isn't the same as a 4-door full-sized SUV an then you have to consider comparable trim, options, etc. You can spend nearly as much for an F-150 SuperCrew as an Expedition.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional content

11 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Sorry but it's still apples vs. oranges. F-150 SuperCrew isn't the same as a 4-door full-sized SUV an then you have to consider comparable trim, options, etc. You can spend nearly as much for an F-150 SuperCrew as an Expedition.

Agreed, apples vs oranges.

HRG

On 7/31/2020 at 8:56 PM, 92merc said:

If you look closely, you can see the left tail light behind the white.  It's forward more than the camo.  Hiding the true length.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:06 PM, akirby said:

I know it had extended camo - I was looking at the wheelbase which seemed a lot longer than I expected.  But it does seem to match the TC.

Also check out the location of the muffler and exhaust tip... clearly show the truck will end about 7 or 8" before the end of the camo.

This is a prototype not a mule, so the wheelbase and location of exhaust is final.

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Also check out the location of the muffler and exhaust tip... clearly show the truck will end about 7 or 8" before the end of the camo.

This is a prototype not a mule, so the wheelbase and location of exhaust is final.

A well hidden prototype  suggests that  the Maverick is more advanced than perhaps we thought.

A long wheelbase and lowish roofline would make the Maverick utility looked like a stationwagon,

maybe that's why it was dropped.

4 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

Easy fix. Just buy yourself a 2 year old Expedition for half off. The Expedition has poor resale value. I just noticed a 2018 Expy for $43,000 at Plaza Lincoln used car lot. 

8 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Easy fix. Just buy yourself a 2 year old Expedition for half off. The Expedition has poor resale value. I just noticed a 2018 Expy for $43,000 at Plaza Lincoln used car lot. 

Funny you mention that, I've actually looked at a number of late 3rd Gens, but that generation of the 3.5EB scares the crap out of me.  Like you say, the resale on them seems low.

HRG

45 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

A well hidden prototype  suggests that  the Maverick is more advanced than perhaps we thought.

A long wheelbase and lowish roofline would make the Maverick utility looked like a stationwagon,

maybe that's why it was dropped.

Maverick is supposed to go on sale in 2021 so makes sense that we are seeing final prototypes now (vs. the van looking mule spotted in Australia last year).

As for the Maverick based CUV... it wouldn't have that long wheel base though. And it won't necessarily have the low rider suspension setting either. It could have easily been based on the SWB Transit Connect platform instead of the LWB for example, and have the suspension height of Bronco Sport or Escape. 

I think what happened to CX758 is that it got delayed (or cancelled) after the mid cycle update of Yusheng S330 turned into a more substantial investment into Territory, which serves the same purpose as CX758. It may still come back again because Territory will eventually need to be replaced.

Edited by bzcat

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Maverick is supposed to go on sale in 2021 so makes sense that we are seeing final prototypes now (vs. the van looking mule spotted in Australia last year).

As for the Maverick based CUV... it wouldn't have that long wheel base though. And it won't necessarily have the low rider suspension setting either. It could have easily been based on the SWB Transit Connect platform instead of the LWB for example, and have the suspension height of Bronco Sport or Escape. 

I think what happened to CX758 is that it got delayed (or cancelled) after the mid cycle update of Yusheng S330 turned into a more substantial investment into Territory, which serves the same purpose as CX758. It may still come back again because Territory will eventually need to be replaced.

It is too bad this isn't going to be a RWD or AWD setup. 

I have to wonder with FWD, if anyone puts enough items in the bed will make it handle strangely.

Depending on it's looks and it's general design, it might be a possible replacement for my 2013 Volvo S60.

All I'd ever hall in it would be bikes, snowblower or lawnmower. 

Yea, i know none of them would not be a weight problem, as long as I stay out of the bed while it's running down the road. ?

Any possibility it could be a 'Subaru Baja" style of truck?