Ford Maverick tailgate leaked

On 8/1/2020 at 3:33 PM, 02MustangGT said:

Fair points YT, what is your opinion on the right powertrain for the Maverick?

Most of my Rangers (and I've had quite a few) have been 2wd, M5OD and Lima powered, so stoplight racing was never in the picture and neither was a high towing rating.  I'd want to replace it with something guaranteed reliable, preferably with a stick, but not a deal breaker. Since realistically we are talking what will fit in the engine bay of a T. Connect, my favored engine would be 2.0 N/A, or 2.0 Ecoboost. Absolutely nothing with a "1" in the displacement. 

6 hours ago, bzcat said:

Maverick is supposed to go on sale in 2021 so makes sense that we are seeing final prototypes now (vs. the van looking mule spotted in Australia last year).

As for the Maverick based CUV... it wouldn't have that long wheel base though. And it won't necessarily have the low rider suspension setting either. It could have easily been based on the SWB Transit Connect platform instead of the LWB for example, and have the suspension height of Bronco Sport or Escape. 

I think what happened to CX758 is that it got delayed (or cancelled) after the mid cycle update of Yusheng S330 turned into a more substantial investment into Territory, which serves the same purpose as CX758. It may still come back again because Territory will eventually need to be replaced.

Two things spring to mind with the cancellation of Maverick Utility, 

mid it was as you described, then maybe it was too close in size

compared to Bronco Sport or if it resembled the LWB S/W I’d described,

then it would probably still be a big no from research clinics.

It a shame because Maverick Ute could have been an interesting replacement for Ecosport. 

Chinese Territory is interesting because it’s so wide at 76” 

Edited by jpd80

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Two things spring to mind with the cancellation of Maverick Utility, 

mid it was as you described, then maybe it was too close in size

compared to Bronco Sport or if it resembled the LWB S/W I’d described,

then it would probably still be a big no from research clinics.

It a shame because Maverick Ute could have been an interesting replacement for Ecosport. 

Chinese Territory is interesting because it’s so wide at 76” 

I'm just wondering what Ford's thought process is with EcoSport/that segment.  They're going to have to replace it at some point, unless their plan is to just drop it too, though I think that's a mistake.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jniffen said:

It is too bad this isn't going to be a RWD or AWD setup. 

I have to wonder with FWD, if anyone puts enough items in the bed will make it handle strangely.

Depending on it's looks and it's general design, it might be a possible replacement for my 2013 Volvo S60.

All I'd ever hall in it would be bikes, snowblower or lawnmower. 

Yea, i know none of them would not be a weight problem, as long as I stay out of the bed while it's running down the road. ?

Any possibility it could be a 'Subaru Baja" style of truck?

I'm sure optional AWD is a given for Maverick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I'm just wondering what Ford's thought process is with EcoSport/that segment.  They're going to have to replace it at some point, unless their plan is to just drop it too, though I think that's a mistake.

I think it's obvious that Ford is not making money on EcoSport or otherwise it would have been replaced already. And the fact there is no replacement in sight for something almost 10 years old... classic Ford product planning. 

Ford was the first global car company to produce an affordable B-segment CUV based on global platform. All it had to do was to regularly update it and localize it to continue dominate the segment that it created pretty much by itself. But who knows what Mark Fields was thinking... but I'm sure Honda and VW are very glad Ford totally screwed the pooch on the fastest growing vehicle segment in the world. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

With the Bronco Sport being about the same size as the Subaru Crosstrek, I'm not sure how the Ecosport fits anymore other than price. You can buy an Escape SE for about the price as an SEL Ecosport and get more cargo room and better fuel mileage to boot. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I think it's obvious that Ford is not making money on EcoSport or otherwise it would have been replaced already. And the fact there is no replacement in sight for something almost 10 years old... classic Ford product planning. 

Ford was the first global car company to produce an affordable B-segment CUV based on global platform. All it had to do was to regularly update it and localize it to continue dominate the segment that it created pretty much by itself. But who knows what Mark Fields was thinking... but I'm sure Honda and VW are very glad Ford totally screwed the pooch on the fastest growing vehicle segment in the world. 

I have a feeling that the next Ecosport is a share with Mahindra XUV300, right size and right price

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I have a feeling that the next Ecosport is a share with Mahindra XUV300, right size and right price

But until a while ago the Mahindra/Ford project seemed to have a different code (BX745) from the ROW version (BX755).

I get a feeling cars in India won't be global projects, they must be local products to satisfy that market with little investment from Ford. That's how I read the Mahindra/Ford deal.

As for the Ecosport, some brands would be planning Mk4 by now. Here in Brazil it was a long-standing leader but now it is in one of the bottom spots, around 8th.

In the US market, I agree that size-wise the Bronco Sport could cover a market space from the Renegade to the current Cherokee (which was a let down to me, I expected the B.Sport to be a tad longer).

For the entry level market, Ford had (before COVID, we don't know now) a low C project of a crossover to be made in Bahia (BX784). Reports claimed it would use a new architecture in the plant, so I could only think of C2. If that's the case, maybe it could be viable for Hermosillo to squeeze it in, now that the status of CX758 is unknown.

Edited by passis
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

With the Bronco Sport being about the same size as the Subaru Crosstrek, I'm not sure how the Ecosport fits anymore other than price. You can buy an Escape SE for about the price as an SEL Ecosport and get more cargo room and better fuel mileage to boot. 

People need/want a cheap car. Most people I see in Ecosports around where I live are older retired people. Keep in mind the Ecosport often has generous discounts on it, so its not a fair comparison on cost between it and the Escape. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jniffen said:

Also, here's a report doing it's best to say the Maverick is setup to fail.

Maverick Pickup: Ford’s Fear of Failure Is Setting It Up For Failure

Getting a bit anxious to see what this little baby turns out to be.

What the fuck is this guy smoking? Its going to look like a transit connect from the front?!

As for Goof looking-if anything its going to look like an Explorer Sport Trac-a 4 door with a short bed. 

4 hours ago, jniffen said:

Also, here's a report doing it's best to say the Maverick is setup to fail.

Maverick Pickup: Ford’s Fear of Failure Is Setting It Up For Failure

Getting a bit anxious to see what this little baby turns out to be.

There is so much WTF in this article, I don't know where to start...

He complained about the engines. What's wrong with 2.0 I4 and 1.5 EB? Did he expect a V8 in a FWD platform? If those engines are fine in Transit Connect, why wouldn't it work in Maverick? He provides no reason for his assertion that these are the wrong drivetrain. 

He questions the projected volume of 100k. Ford didn't say it will make 100k. He just made that up. And Ford for sure didn't say it will sell them all in the US. This truck will sell in South America, Mexico, Canada, and probably Middle East.

The short bed got him annoyed. I don't know what he was expecting but you can't make a compact truck with 4 doors and still have a 5' bed. The math just doesn't work. It's fair to question whether consumer will accept it but he is acting like no one has ever made a truck with a small bed. Ford made one not that long ago (Sporttrac) and it sold in decent volume. And he claims to be an auto industry expert but I guess he never heard of Fiat Toro and the sales success it is having in South America. Or that Hyundai and VW are both making the exact same truck as Ford and Nissan is looking at reentering the compact unibody truck market too.

The Transit Connect angle has been dispelled several times. It did start as a body style for Transit Connect (V###) under Mark Fields but it got its own program code P758 when it went back to the drawing board and started over. Is it Transit Connect based? Not anymore than it is Focus based or Bronco Sport based... this is a C2 vehicle... it's not based on anything per se. I doubt it will share any sheet metal with Transit Connect, or Escape, Bronco Sport, or Focus for that matter. Is this guy going to tell us the upcoming C2 Fusion Active is Transit Connect based too? 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

The author clearly put down the glasses when he heard that Maverick was based on Transit Connect 

but lacks the imagination to take the mental leap from crew van with the roof cut off to a compact pickup.

Or skip the mental gymnastics and just look at pictures of  the camoed prototypes.

FYI, if anyone is wondering, a derivative shares more than 50% of parts and bodywork,

a different vehicle type or different top hat usually gets its own product designation code.

The key to saving a ton of money is to make Maverick a different top hat so it's no longer a van.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Or skip the mental gymnastics and just look at pictures of  the camoed prototypes.

The only defense this guy has was this article was posted a day or two before the camo'd prototypes that actually look like a truck popped up. 

22 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

People need/want a cheap car. Most people I see in Ecosports around where I live are older retired people. Keep in mind the Ecosport often has generous discounts on it, so its not a fair comparison on cost between it and the Escape. 

The EcoSport may be dated but it's the "price leader" now in the Ford lineup and usually has heavy incentives making it easier to overcome its shortcomings compared to the competition. We have three dealership employees that have bought EcoSport's and they're all happy with them.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

The EcoSport may be dated but it's the "price leader" now in the Ford lineup and usually has heavy incentives making it easier to overcome its shortcomings compared to the competition. We have three dealership employees that have bought EcoSport's and they're all happy with them.  

I see more of them than I thought I would that's for sure

• Like 1

11 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

What the fuck is this guy smoking? Its going to look like a transit connect from the front?!

As for Goof looking-if anything its going to look like an Explorer Sport Trac-a 4 door with a short bed. 

I saw that article and thought WTH! 

Saw this rendering last night and it's pretty much what I am expecting.

image.thumb.png.8f80d92240a94a68a896b56384d71953.png

Edited by 70 Stang

35 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

This little bug is going to surprise many... that's for sure. Compared to the program's humble beginnings, it's shaping up to make an impact. 

I hope so. I am curious what the design direction will be on the front of this vehicle. It seems that the maverick and the Santa Cruz will be the only competitors in this segment (that I know of). The Santa Cruz seems to have taken a  more sleek, cuv style.
2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-crossover-truck-i-txj2cvj-x5-copy-1592419044.jpg?crop=1.

id like to see the maverick take a more truck like approach. I think both could do well carving out their own niche in the segment.

11 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

id like to see the maverick take a more truck like approach. I think both could do well carving out their own niche in the segment.

Plenty of people remain in Ford management who watched in horror as a utility program (Freestyle) bounced in and out of the Truck division throughout development. The end result was unsalvageable. 

Maverick is a Ford Truck division product, as it has been since shortly after the program's inception. It will look like a Ford Truck. 

(From what I can tell, I expect the newest iteration of the two bar / floating oval grille design that intersects the headlights. Scaled appropriately, it will look really sharp)

• Like 3