Ford Maverick tailgate leaked

14 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Plenty of people remain in Ford management who watched in horror as a utility program (Freestyle) bounced in and out of the Truck division throughout development. The end result was unsalvageable. 

Maverick is a Ford Truck division product, as it has been since shortly after the program's inception. It will look like a Ford Truck. 

(From what I can tell, I expect the newest iteration of the two bar / floating oval grille design that intersects the headlights. Scaled appropriately, it will look really sharp)

Best thing to come from the Freestyle was the Flex. Without the former, the latter would have never happened. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Best thing to come from the Freestyle was the Flex. Without the former, the latter would have never happened. 

Flex proved a case for the reimagined Explorer, which printed cash for Ford throughout a challenging time. The Flex concept - initially only a design exercise - was a "last ditch" effort to recoup what was spent on the D3 utility variant. 

Remember that Explorer (and Mountaineer) were set to ride on the new-for-2006 Magna-sourced platform for the foreseeable future until a *very* tight decision was made to move to D3. 

Going back to Freestyle: The styling direction and market placement  - both symptoms of a traumatic development cycle - were unable to be salvaged. If anything, the chain events that brought the 2011 Explorer to life are best chalked up to luck and a prayer. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Flex proved a case for the reimagined Explorer, which printed cash for Ford throughout a challenging time. The Flex concept - initially only a design exercise - was a "last ditch" effort to recoup what was spent on the D3 utility variant. 

Remember that Explorer (and Mountaineer) were set to ride on the new-for-2006 Magna-sourced platform for the foreseeable future until a *very* tight decision was made to move to D3. 

Going back to Freestyle: The styling direction and market placement  - both symptoms of a traumatic development cycle - were unable to be salvaged. If anything, the chain events that brought the 2011 Explorer to life are best chalked up to luck and a prayer. 

I've always liked the Flex, but my wife didn't. She calls is "the hearse."

From what I've seen, men liked it, but women didn't. They preferred the Explorer. Both of us like the new Explorer...let's hope Ford has the bugs worked out of it. 

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

You know what, that's pretty dang promising and a nice counterpoint to the Bronco Sport.

I hope they have a faux line between the bed and the cab to give a more traditional truck look, similar what Honda did with the Ridgeline. I don’t care for how this looks in this picture.  

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

It seems that the maverick and the Santa Cruz will be the only competitors in this segment (that I know of). The Santa Cruz seems to have taken a  more sleek, cuv style.

There's also VW Tarok, considered for production in Puebla

tarok-2.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

I heard it was cancelled in "our" plants (the statement seems to come from an interview  with Pablo Di Si) in favour of production in Mexico. This way, they can export both to US and South America without tarifs. But at this point you're correct in your skepticism, none of this is confirmed.

3 hours ago, grbeck said:

From what I've seen, men liked it, but women didn't. They preferred the Explorer. Both of us like the new Explorer...let's hope Ford has the bugs worked out of it. 

That was true with my wife...until she drove the Explorer and didn't like the thick a-pillar blocking visibility and some other things.  I said lets try the Flex and she said "No, it's ugly."  I said it won't hurt to drive one so she agreed to drive it but expected to hate it.  Within a mile on the test drive she was hooked.  In fact our 2013 Flex will be the hardest vehicle to get rid of that we ever had.

Edited by Schpark
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Schpark said:

That was true with my wife...until she drove the Explorer and didn't like the thick a-pillar blocking visibility and some other things.  I said lets try the Flex and she said "No, it's ugly."  I said it won't hurt to drive one so she agreed to drive it but expected to hate it.  Within a mile on the test drive she was hooked.  In fact our 2013 Flex will be the hardest vehicle to get rid of that we ever had.

For several years at the Carlisle Ford Nationals, Ford had a Flex as one of the vehicles at its test-drive event. The Flex was comfortable and roomy, and was the easiest vehicle to both enter and exit. Overall, it was a very intelligent - and under-rated - design, in my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, Schpark said:

My 13 Flex has been a joy to own. Just a hair over 180k on it... keeping her rolling until my Bronco arrives next Spring. 

FWIW, my wife was intimidated to drive my Flex but warmed right up to the Explorer I got her earlier this year. I think the rounded corners make it feel "smaller" to her. Ladies... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grbeck said:

I know my mom hated the exterior but loved the interior.

I love the design inside and out....makes me sad that it was never updated (the '13 change was nice, but half-hearted).

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

I saw that article and thought WTH! 

Saw this rendering last night and it's pretty much what I am expecting.

image.thumb.png.8f80d92240a94a68a896b56384d71953.png

From the spy shots, I am expecting the bed to be separate from the body like the Sport Trac was. Not like the Avalanche where the bed was apart of the body. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

If you look at what Ford wanted out of the Flex...it failed. They were wanting 100k sales/year with it and never got there. 

Personally, it think it should have stayed on the CD3 platform and kept the concept's name - Fairlane. Flex was a "hip" name that just didn't connect with anyone.

I remember for a long time I would have people ask me if it was Flex fuel and/or hybrid.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

From the spy shots, I am expecting the bed to be separate from the body like the Sport Trac was. Not like the Avalanche where the bed was apart of the body. 

That would be a nice touch.....and I think the first unibody pickup to do that. I'm thinking the side sculpting to be more like the Bronco Sport also.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 70 Stang said:

That would be a nice touch.....and I think the first unibody pickup to do that. I'm thinking the side sculpting to be more like the Bronco Sport also.

Ford Falcon ute had separate bed from the cab. And it was also sold as a cab chassis!

ford-fg-x-falcon-xr6-ute-2015-launchphot

1024px-2012_Ford_Falcon_(FG_II)_XR6_cab_

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Ford Falcon ute had separate bed from the cab. And it was also sold as a cab chassis.

True but it also had a half chassis that was grafted into the front integral chassis rails,

it's not the same as a unitary design that relies on the side panels as supporting structure.

6 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

That was actually unibody up front, and body on frame under the bed......crazy.

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

Which I assume is what the Falcon is too. 

Transit cutaway and chassis cab is the same way. It's actually pretty common.

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Transit cutaway and chassis cab is the same way. It's actually pretty common.

Transit is different again, it's a stamped integral ladder frame where the other examples are box chassis grafted to unitary front rails.

Transits integral ladder frame is incredibly strong and probably a good example for designing smaller pickups to emulate

Edited by jpd80

Maverick wouldn't need an integral frame or any frame unless Ford is planning to sell it as a cab chassis. I doubt the design parameter requires the kind of load in the bed that will require a frame. I'm guessing the payload is under 1,500 lbs so unibody is fine to handle it just like Transit Connect. 

Payload (GVWR less Curb Weight)

Escape 1,100 lbs.

<Maverick will be somewhere here>

Transit Connect 1,200 to 1,550 lbs.

Ranger 1,600 to 2,200 lbs.

My guess is you wouldn't need a frame until you are close to hitting 2,000 lbs but Ford has a Ranger for that kind of job.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bzcat said:

Maverick wouldn't need an integral frame or any frame unless Ford is planning to sell it as a cab chassis. I doubt the design parameter requires the kind of load in the bed that will require a frame. I'm guessing the payload is under 1,500 lbs so unibody is fine to handle it just like Transit Connect. 

Payload (GVWR less Curb Weight)

Escape 1,100 lbs.

<Maverick will be somewhere here>

Transit Connect 1,200 to 1,550 lbs.

Ranger 1,600 to 2,200 lbs.

My guess is you wouldn't need a frame until you are close to hitting 2,000 lbs but Ford has a Ranger for that kind of job.

Or if Maverick includes a regular cab version with a longer bed, Remember, the Maverick is a quasi replacement

for the ROW lowrider 2WD Ranger. While it doesn't necessarily need a Transit style ladder frame, I think that the

actual construction used will definitely be quite interesting and robust.

Edited by jpd80