Ford Maverick tailgate leaked

I'm a little skeptical about the prospect of 2 door Maverick with long bed. Doesn't seem to be real demand for something like that. Virtually all the markets in the world prefer a van (i.e. Transit Connect) for that kind of light weight but big volume hauling. But you are right that if Ford does make something like that, the Falcon setup with a ladder frame in the back is a real benefit because you can offer it as a cab chassis and let buyers add their own tray or box in the back.

• Like 2

I'm a little skeptical too about a 2-door truck, but people said the same thing about ranger and mid-sized trucks... so who knows?  I'd have to think it would do well at least in America. As for outside the US, I have seen a decent number of 2-door trucks in the Carribean and Middle East.

5 hours ago, bzcat said:

I'm a little skeptical about the prospect of 2 door Maverick with long bed. Doesn't seem to be real demand for something like that. Virtually all the markets in the world prefer a van (i.e. Transit Connect) for that kind of light weight but big volume hauling. But you are right that if Ford does make something like that, the Falcon setup with a ladder frame in the back is a real benefit because you can offer it as a cab chassis and let buyers add their own tray or box in the back.

No,  that's not what I meant at all, the Falcon Ute had a half chassis  box frame,

I'm talking much lighter integral frame that can be just stamped up on site like

they do with the Transits but nowhere as thick.

If the intention is to only produce Maverick as a crew cab with small tray

Then a slight mod on a Transit Connect crew Van floorpan will suffice.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

There were previous reports that it would share its front with the bronco sport. You can tell from these pics that it will not. The hood opening is completely different than the sports.

i like what I see here. It looks like it might be sport trac sized with a slightly longer bed.

Ford_Maverick_008.jpg

Using this pic as a guide:

Assuming the wheels are 17" (to use as a base length), the wheelbase is approximately 102.4" and the bed is approximately 44" (measured from back of door seam to black vertical stripe in camo (end of taillight). 

For comparison, the Ranger wheelbase is 126.8" and the short bed is 60"

It is way smaller than it looks in pics.  Look at the pic from the front and see how big the guy looks inside it.

Edited by Anthony

25 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Ford_Maverick_008.jpg

Using this pic as a guide:

Assuming the wheels are 17" (to use as a base length), the wheelbase is approximately 102.4" and the bed is approximately 44" (measured from back of door seam to black vertical stripe in camo (end of taillight). 

For comparison, the Ranger wheelbase is 126.8" and the short bed is 60"

It is way smaller than it looks in pics.  Look at the pic from the front and see how big the guy looks inside it.

It is funny how in isolation, it looks huge.  But then when you look at how much of the lane it's taking up, you can tell it's smaller.  Wish we could see it next to another vehicle for reference.

I think it’s actually bigger than those numbers. The wheels look like 18’s to me.

Here is an overlay of the sport and an earlier maverick. The bronco sport has a wheelbase of 105.1”. The wheelbase on the maverick appears 10-15” longer. The sport has about 2” more rear legroom than the ranger does so the maverick might even have a more spacious backseat.2021-ford-bronco-sport-overlayed-with-20

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

I think it’s actually bigger than those numbers. The wheels look like 18’s to me.

Here is an overlay of the sport and an earlier maverick. The bronco sport has a wheelbase of 105.1”. The wheelbase on the maverick appears 10-15” longer. The sport has about 2” more rear legroom than the ranger does so the maverick might even have a more spacious backseat.2021-ford-bronco-sport-overlayed-with-20

I think you are correct about my measurements being off. 

If the wheels are 18", here is a Ranger superCrew Lariat imposed over it (rear wheels lined up perfectly, both vehicles assumed to have 18"...well those are definitely 18 inchers on the Ranger).

I'd say the wheelbase of the Maverick is closer to around 114" and the bed is around 48".  Eyeballing that. Hard to tell exactly where the cab ends and the bed starts on the Maverick though.

Cab sizes seem to be similar though the Ranger has more height (and I'm sure a good amount in width as well).

Ford_Maverick_RANGER.thumb.png.5e070acb8ce535371f35069c1e79a6c3.png

Wheelbase looks to be about a foot longer or so on the Ranger and the bed being about a foot longer as well (the way they line up above, the tailgate of the Ranger lines up with the bumper of the Maverick).

This looks like it is going to be a tweener and the Ranger will need to grow a bit in size.

Edited by Anthony

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

I think you are correct about my measurements being off. 

If the wheels are 18", here is a Ranger superCrew Lariat imposed over it (rear wheels lined up perfectly, both vehicles assumed to have 18"...well those are definitely 18 inchers on the Ranger).

I'd say the wheelbase of the Maverick is closer to around 114" and the bed is around 48".  Eyeballing that. Hard to tell exactly where the cab ends and the bed starts on the Maverick though.

Cab sizes seem to be similar though the Ranger has more height (and I'm sure a good amount in width as well).

Ford_Maverick_RANGER.thumb.png.5e070acb8ce535371f35069c1e79a6c3.png

Wheelbase looks to be about a foot longer or so on the Ranger and the bed being about a foot longer as well (the way they line up above, the tailgate of the Ranger lines up with the bumper of the Maverick).

This looks like it is going to be a tweener and the Ranger will need to grow a bit in size.

You should line up the front bumper of Ranger with Maverick to get a better sense of the size difference because we don't know exactly where the Maverick ends under those camo.

Someone should also superimpose the Maverick with Transit Connect photo I posted before... This is what 120.6" wheelbase and 190" length looks like in real life. Transit Connect has 16" wheels so it looks smaller in photo. Maverick wheelbase maybe 10" shorter but the bed is longer. I still think it will be roughly 190" long vs. 210.8" long for Ranger.

2014-Ford-Transit-Connect-Taxi-Exterior-

Edited by bzcat

On 8/1/2020 at 5:09 PM, akirby said:

I guess I’m overthinking the size of the bed.  I purposely got a Supercab f150 to get the 6.5’ bed instead of the 5.5 but I haul a good bit of lumber and plywood.

4 feet is probably good for a small unibody pickup.

I think it’s virtually guaranteed to get the TC 2.0L.

My Dad and Uncle both have F-150 SuperCrews with 6.5' beds, but they are pretty long trucks!

6 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I hope the ranger does grow a bit. A couple inches here and there and it will be perfect size.

I hope it doesn't grow much because if they make it too big it'll become pointless with the F150 in the line-up. I love the trim yet still plenty large Ranger. I honestly think it's just about the perfect size right now. Start adding too many inches to it's size and all you'll be left with is a less capable slightly smaller F-150.

Edited by 2005Explorer

25 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

I hope it doesn't grow much because if they make it too big it'll become pointless with the F150 in the line-up. I love the trim yet still plenty large Ranger. I honestly think it's just about the perfect size right now. Start adding too many inches to it's size and all you'll be left with is a less capable slightly smaller F-150.

Yeah, I like the size it is now, but it could use 2” in rear legroom. That would make it perfect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, T hawker said:

What do you think off the headlights/running lights.  Similar to this rendering?

BB13k5no.jpeg

I know this is a rendering, but I’m still hoping for a break line between the bed and the cab on this vehicle, otherwise I think this looks pretty good.