Off-Road Explorer FX4 Prototype Spied

8 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Ford started building units with an interior update on the 2020 Explorer XLT's in particular a few months ago that replaced the black finish on the center stack, etc.

Enhanced Interior Finishes
○ Base – New Satin Silver Twilight Color on Center Stack
○ XLT – New Satin Silver Twilight Color on Center Stack, Door Armrest Carrier, Steering Wheel Bezel and Instrument Panel Applique
○ Limited – New Satin Silver Twilight Color on Door Armrest Carrier and Steering Wheel Bezel
○ All Series – High Gloss Black Color on Center Stack Buttons
○ XLT and Limited “Uppers” with Ebony Interior - Light Slate Colored Headliner, Overhead Console, Pillars, Grab Handles, Visors and Moonroof Shade

Here are some sample photos of the new center stack, etc. 

1FMSK8DH5LGC55803_08.JPG

1FMSK8DH5LGC55803_09.JPG

1FMSK8DH5LGC55803_17.JPG

1FMSK8DH5LGC55803_18.JPG

That does look a lot better. 

On 7/25/2020 at 6:57 PM, ausrutherford said:

That does look a lot better. 

Yes it looks better-but I think that panel gap in the top left by the push button start is still there?  I've sat in several and it is painfully obvious and seems to be really that one spot-why the hell couldn't they of at least had it on the other side so you wouldn't see it all the time!!

12 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Because why?  My Flex has a silver painted center stack and still looks brand new, despite being 12 years old in November.

IMG_8288.thumb.jpg.b1ba8fb5f0474e04d3f43c941ecc8416.jpg

How do you clean your car? I've tried the cleaning wipes and also Micro fiber towels with spray... but over the years the hard plastic silver and the shiny chrome trim has just gotten so scratched and old looking. I don't know if it's because I always rock the sunroof and am just letting the car get too dirty or what. The Black materials all look great still however.

4 hours ago, kyle said:

Yes it looks better-but I think that panel gap in the top left by the push button start is still there?  I've sat in several and it is painfully obvious and seems to be really that one spot-why the hell couldn't they of at least had it on the other side so you wouldn't see it all the time!!

Please don't call them panel gaps... they're symmetrical contrasting stylistic design elements, lol.

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Because why?  My Flex has a silver painted center stack and still looks brand new, despite being 12 years old in November.

IMG_8288.thumb.jpg.b1ba8fb5f0474e04d3f43c941ecc8416.jpg

Are those... are those buttons? 

they got rid of buttons for those stupid bullshit touch points? 

Ugh. It's literally the one thing I don't like about my Flex. 

5 hours ago, probowler said:

How do you clean your car? I've tried the cleaning wipes and also Micro fiber towels with spray... but over the years the hard plastic silver and the shiny chrome trim has just gotten so scratched and old looking. I don't know if it's because I always rock the sunroof and am just letting the car get too dirty or what. The Black materials all look great still however.

I've honestly haven't really ever had to clean the center stack much, but I'll use stuff I use the same spray stuff as I do for the rest of the interior on a microfiber towl...various interior cleaners over the years.  These days I've been using some Chemical guys stuff.  The only place I've seen any wear is that narrow "slot" between the radio and climate buttons - the silver trim as been worn off right on the edges from me putting my fingers there, but the plastic underneath is an off-white color, and with it so small, it's hard to tell unless you look closer.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Are those... are those buttons? 

they got rid of buttons for those stupid bullshit touch points? 

Ugh. It's literally the one thing I don't like about my Flex. 

Haha, yes indeed they are.  And they work great too - lots of muscle memory lol.  Gotta love "updates"

Edited by rmc523