Ford ESP Cost - GT/GT500 vs. GT350/GT350R

I saw a 2019 Shelby GT350 at a dealer in PA for $8,100 under MSRP, so I started running some calculations to see whether I could swing selling/trading my '07 GT500 and switching up.  One of the things I always check is the price of the PremiumCARE ESP (now "Ford Protect," apparently) coverage, since mine has paid for itself on most of our vehicles several times over, and the prices from dealerships like Flood Ford are too good to pass up.

Imagine my shock when I discovered that the cost for an 8-year, 75,000-mile, $200-deductible PremiumCARE ESP for a GT350/GT350R is $4,495, compared to only $1,080 for a regular Mustang, GT, or - believe it or not - GT500.

What does that say about the projected reliability of the GT350?  Over four times the cost.

I'm keeping my '07 GT500 a while longer.  (It has PremiumCARE coverage through 2023!)

54 minutes ago, MadManMoon said:

I saw a 2019 Shelby GT350 at a dealer in PA for $8,100 under MSRP, so I started running some calculations to see whether I could swing selling/trading my '07 GT500 and switching up.  One of the things I always check is the price of the PremiumCARE ESP (now "Ford Protect," apparently) coverage, since mine has paid for itself on most of our vehicles several times over, and the prices from dealerships like Flood Ford are too good to pass up.

Imagine my shock when I discovered that the cost for an 8-year, 75,000-mile, $200-deductible PremiumCARE ESP for a GT350/GT350R is $4,495, compared to only $1,080 for a regular Mustang, GT, or - believe it or not - GT500.

What does that say about the projected reliability of the GT350?  Over four times the cost.

I'm keeping my '07 GT500 a while longer.  (It has PremiumCARE coverage through 2023!)

And this was a surprise? Did you really think that they'd price the ESP for a Shelby GT350 at anything close to a GT considering the potential claims of a GT vs. a GT350?

16 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

And this was a surprise? Did you really think that they'd price the ESP for a Shelby GT350 at anything close to a GT considering the potential claims of a GT vs. a GT350?

It was, especially since back in '07 the GT500 was the same cost as a GT, and according to the price quotes (and confirmed by users on Mustang6G), it's the same cost for a 2020 GT and GT500.  So the GT350 is a major outlier here.

It seems to me that the GT-350 (especially the R) is unique in the Mustang lineup in that it is intended to be a track car, which means Ford expects it to be exposed to more use that's likely to cause (expensive) parts and assemblies to fail. GT-500s may be run harder on average, but Ford could legitimately claim that running it on a track amounted to abuse, and void resulting warranty claims. They really can't do that with a track-oriented car, which means they have to do something to offset to potential claims.

That's just a guess, but it would explain the discrepancy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

It seems to me that the GT-350 (especially the R) is unique in the Mustang lineup in that it is intended to be a track car, which means Ford expects it to be exposed to more use that's likely to cause (expensive) parts and assemblies to fail. GT-500s may be run harder on average, but Ford could legitimately claim that running it on a track amounted to abuse, and void resulting warranty claims. They really can't do that with a track-oriented car, which means they have to do something to offset to potential claims.

That's just a guess, but it would explain the discrepancy.

That does make sense. I'm curious to see over time if the GT500 gets its own higher rate separate from the base/GT Mustangs, since that's supposed to be a track-focused car as well.

Why would anyone get a $200 deductible?  You almost break even with a $100 deductible ($130 more) after 1 repair.   You are $100 ahead if you do the $50 deductible on your 2nd repair compared to the $200 one.  I always found having a high deductible pushes me to hold off on simple annoying repairs until I have a few issues.  I always buy the $50 and any little thing it gets dropped off... because it's only $50 and I get a free rental while they fix it (enhanced first day rental).

17 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Why would anyone get a $200 deductible?  You almost break even with a $100 deductible ($130 more) after 1 repair.   You are $100 ahead if you do the $50 deductible on your 2nd repair compared to the $200 one.  I always found having a high deductible pushes me to hold off on simple annoying repairs until I have a few issues.  I always buy the $50 and any little thing it gets dropped off... because it's only $50 and I get a free rental while they fix it (enhanced first day rental).

When your 350 R goes into limp mode at the track, it's probably going to cost major bucks to deal with that Voodoo engine electronics.