Touch to unlock quit working on one fob

2020 Explorer ST

I was really loving the way the fob works on these vehicles, just seemed so natural and 'It works the way I would expect it to.' Now all of the sudden one of the fobs won't activate the 'touch to unlock' door feature.  The fob is detected because various things in the vehicle click when I touch the door handle, but it does not unlock - in fact, it almost looks like it locks again.  Everything else works as expected - 'touch to lock' works.  Fob #2 works correctly, including 'touch to unlock'.  Any suggestions?

55 minutes ago, kluger said:

2020 Explorer ST

I was really loving the way the fob works on these vehicles, just seemed so natural and 'It works the way I would expect it to.' Now all of the sudden one of the fobs won't activate the 'touch to unlock' door feature.  The fob is detected because various things in the vehicle click when I touch the door handle, but it does not unlock - in fact, it almost looks like it locks again.  Everything else works as expected - 'touch to lock' works.  Fob #2 works correctly, including 'touch to unlock'.  Any suggestions?

Hi kluger. If one fob works and the other does not, it is likely an issue with the fob itself. It is a brand new vehicle with a 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty. Notify your Dealer and make an appointment for service.

Or just stop by the Dealership's Service Department and tell them about the issue. They may simply order a new fob, then notify you when it arrives so they can have you back to program it to your vehicle (if they do not have it in stock).

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Fixed.  I've been touching the top surface of the handle.  To unlock, need to touch the inside surface.  Don't know how I got away without noticing that for 7 months!  RTFM!

Also got around to programming all doors unlock on first press.

3 hours ago, kluger said:

Fixed.  I've been touching the top surface of the handle.  To unlock, need to touch the inside surface.  Don't know how I got away without noticing that for 7 months!  RTFM!

Also got around to programming all doors unlock on first press.

Hi kluger. Happy to hear you were able to discover the "magic sequence" and solve your problem. And it didn't cost any money! ?

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

The other issue I've run into is if the wife beats me to the passenger door and grabs the handle, when I go to grab it, it won't unlock.  She has to take her hand off her handle for a few seconds, and then I can grab it and it'll unlock.

She's just learned to not grab her handle until after she hears the unlock.

15 hours ago, kluger said:

Sorry - that’s usually the first thing I ask people with issues like that.  It’s a pretty common mistake.

Whats worse is when you tell other people to RTFM and then you don’t RTFM!!!  Been there, done that.  Got the tshirt.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Sorry - that’s usually the first thing I ask people with issues like that.  It’s a pretty common mistake.

Whats worse is when you tell other people to RTFM and then you don’t RTFM!!!  Been there, done that.  Got the tshirt.

Yes...I also ran with the assumption kluger was grabbing the handle correctly, since he stated "Now all of the sudden one of the fobs won't activate the 'touch to unlock' door feature".

So if one fob worked, it naturally seemed he was doing it right and the other fob was defective. 

• Like 1