oil separator for grand touring?

Tl99cobra

Hi all,

Can anyone with a grand touring jump in? Was thinking about getting an aviator gt. I would probably want an oil separator/catch can for it if I got one. 

Questions I have are:

1. Does anyone have a gt with a catch can system in stalled and if so which one?

2. There seems to be a secondary coolant reservoir tank in the gt on the passenger side of the engine which i think may interfere with any jlt oil separator install which regular aviator and explorer st does not have.

3. Does anyone know if a upr oil seperator would fit? It goes on drivers side of engine and I can't tell from photos if any of the hybrid power train would get in its way.

4. What is the additional coolant reservoir for, I presume a separate system to cool battery charging?

Thanks all,

Tony

4 hours ago, Tl99cobra said:

Hi all,

Can anyone with a grand touring jump in? Was thinking about getting an aviator gt. I would probably want an oil separator/catch can for it if I got one. 

Questions I have are:

1. Does anyone have a gt with a catch can system in stalled and if so which one?

2. There seems to be a secondary coolant reservoir tank in the gt on the passenger side of the engine which i think may interfere with any jlt oil separator install which regular aviator and explorer st does not have.

3. Does anyone know if a upr oil seperator would fit? It goes on drivers side of engine and I can't tell from photos if any of the hybrid power train would get in its way.

4. What is the additional coolant reservoir for, I presume a separate system to cool battery charging?

Thanks all,

Tony

I have an Aviator GT and can confirm the secondary small coolant reservoir is definitely for the battery cooling system as it is liquid cooled.  You can hear the coolant pump running and see coolant flowing in/out of the reservoir whenever it is plugged in to the wall charger and charging the battery.

I don't have an oil separator installed on mine and am not sure why you would need one?

Overall it's a great vehicle and I'm very happy with mine, I've made made numerous previous posts on experiences with mine to date if you're looking for more in depth info.

Thanks for the info and reply..Currently on my 3rd ecoboost. The aviator gt will be my 4th. It really depends on how long you want to keep the car and if you believe the hype, but these direct injected engines coat their intake valves with soot and carbon which can lead to decreased performance over time and in the worst case engine failure. Watch this video...

I was really hoping the new 3.0 ecoboost would add a port injector to clean the back of the intake valves like they did in the 3.5 in the f150s in 2015, but they didn't.  Some say they have added some programming to reduce blow by, and there is some type of oil separator in there but it is not adequate. No one has proven engine destruction from this in fords (unlike certain audi engines from the past) that i am aware but there are photos on the web of horrible looking ford intake valves online that only can be cleaned by walnut blasting.   

So who knows. Upr sells a very nice kit for the 3.0 ecoboost.  I have been spraying intake cleaner in my explorer sport every 6 months.  Also in my fiesta st but haven't used an oil separator/ catch can.