Hummer EV unveiling this fall (spy pic too)

Anthony

Hmm.... interesting. A few random thoughts: 

1. Luxury pickups and SUVs, either ICE or EV, are the luxury sedans and supercars of yore. Our perception of status symbol vehicles has changed tremendously over the past few decades. GM seems to be capitalizing upon this. 

2. It will be interesting to see if more automakers will have "rugged luxury" lines or brands. 

3. If this vehicle is a success, hopefully GM expands the Hummer range to full that "rugged luxury" niche. 

4. It will be interesting to see how quickly some of the innovative features on this begin to trickle down into the rest of the GM range. 

Overall, a solid attempt by GM! It's nice to see automakers make innovative stuff like this instead of just volume sellers (which is my gripe with some brands like Toyota and Honda). 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dequindre said:

Overall, a solid attempt by GM! It's nice to see automakers make innovative stuff like this instead of just volume sellers (which is my gripe with some brands like Toyota and Honda). 

Although the price is a disappointment, and the style is not to my taste, it is a solid effort. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, tbone said:

I’m not even clear Who this vehicle targets or what category it is trying to compete in. 

It looks like GM is targeting the ultra wealthy, status seeking consumer with Hummer. As Dequindre mentioned, high end pickup trucks and SUVs are the "supercar" of today.

• Like 2

It’s ok. I like the front. The rest is meh. I don’t understand the fascination with the tailgate.  I wonder how long before they get destroyed by a tow hitch. They did a good job of creating a halo vehicle.  I do wonder if it would be better served out of Cadillac dealerships. 

Edited by sullynd

52 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

They did beat Ford to market with a BEV 'Super' truck, but I really don't think Ford has the money to do something like this if they wanted too.  Sorry to say....... 

They haven’t beaten anybody to market yet.  I don’t think Ford is interested in a super high priced low volume BEV truck.  I expect F150 to be more mainstream in size and appearance with lower priced options on range and performance.  More similar to Rivian.  I also think Ford will market it to commercial customers. 

This looks more like a one off PR stunt.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

I do wonder if it would be better served out of Cadillac dealerships. 

GMC now has 3 luxury "sub-brands". Denali, AT4, and Hummer. Denali and AT4 GMC vehicles outsell all of Cadillac in the U.S. market. https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a34345059/gmc-now-sells-more-luxury-vehicles-than-cadillac/

Hummer is a good fit for GMC as GMC keeps getting more prestigious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

I do wonder if it would be better served out of Cadillac dealerships. 

Cadillac is getting an EV version of the Escalade, which fits their dealerships. The Hummer would be a fish out of water there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't think rich asshole when I see GMC. That's saved for Bentley or Rolls. GMC is a wannabe luxury brand to me. 

I think this is aimed squarely at the full-fat Range Rover buyer. The RR also has amazing off-road capabilities, which pretty much never get used in this $100k+ vehicle -- long circular drives at country estates is about as much off-road as any of them get. To this set, the high price is a feature, not a bug. I think this will sell well in this segment of the market. The big question, though, is whether this kind of buyer will be thrilled at shopping at a GMC dealership to get one. I expect they'll still do it, but it's not ideal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't think rich asshole when I see GMC. That's saved for Bentley or Rolls. GMC is a wannabe luxury brand to me. 

GMC may be a wannabe luxury brand but you have to look at how far the GMC brand has come. For decades the GMC brand existed as the third leg of the old Buick-Pontiac-GMC franchise group to provide truck sales in order to help support the Buick-Pontiac dealers. GMC is now a legitimate brand on it's own and establishing it's own loyal customer base. At the same time, for years it was questionable why GM continued to sell pickups through the GMC brand that could have possibly helped Chevrolet be more competitive with Ford based on sales volume.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

What is the market for this? 

A very important and growing one. Pickup trucks, BEV, and high-end status oriented products are 3 of the hottest things in the automotive industry. Put all 3 together, as Hummer EV does, and you'll hit the sweet spot of the new vehicle market.

6 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

A very important and growing one. Pickup trucks, BEV, and high-end status oriented products are 3 of the hottest things in the automotive industry. Put all 3 together, as Hummer EV does, and you'll hit the sweet spot of the new vehicle market.

There's only so much sales potential for the high-end status oriented products, BEV or otherwise. There will always be the impulse buyers and/or those that can afford to buy the new BEV vehicles, whether they be pickups, SUV's or some other type. At the same time, after its decades long sales leadership in pickup sales, Ford understands the pickup market better than anyone and continues to lead the market. Just when the competition thinks its caught up, Ford leapfrogs them with even more features and options that continue to make the F-Series even more appealing. The other manufacturers can introduce their vehicles and sell to their niche market while Ford understands the market better and continues to outperform them all in the real world that counts. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

There's only so much sales potential for the high-end status oriented products, BEV or otherwise. There will always be the impulse buyers and/or those that can afford to buy the new BEV vehicles, whether they be pickups, SUV's or some other type. At the same time, after its decades long sales leadership in pickup sales, Ford understands the pickup market better than anyone and continues to lead the market. Just when the competition thinks its caught up, Ford leapfrogs them with even more features and options that continue to make the F-Series even more appealing. The other manufacturers can introduce their vehicles and sell to their niche market while Ford understands the market better and continues to outperform them all in the real world that counts. 

Ok Mr. Ford Marketing Manager!  The segment keeps growing and growing and nobody knows where the top is and you can bet Ford won't be immune to see what happens with this vehicle. Sure Ford does great in the commercial segment and throughout the F150 lineup but so does GMC and Ram-just as much at the top of the segment or close (I don't have any sales data but this is where GMC has been growing their market share the past few years). 

GM has the benefit of having 2 brands to sell their trucks and are differentiating them with each updates. I personally would never buy a Chevy, but the GMC is a damn good looking truck and bears little resemblance in many aspects. Personally, I would love for Lincoln to come up with a vehicle that is just not a F150 with a new grill, since I think there is a growing segment for that top end buyer to have something different. 

One of the best things about a F150 is it has a price range between $30-90k-one of the worst things is it has a price range of $30-90k. Those top end buyers want something more unique and that is why I think the Hummer will do well, depending of course if it is more limited in production and not expecting to sell 100k of these a year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kyle said:

Personally, I would love for Lincoln to come up with a vehicle that is just not a F150 with a new grill, since I think there is a growing segment for that top end buyer to have something different.  

Good suggestion kyle sir, I agree. A BEV Lincoln "supertruck" that is distinct from BEV F-150 could help revive the brand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kyle said:

GM has the benefit of having 2 brands to sell their trucks and are differentiating them with each updates. I personally would never buy a Chevy, but the GMC is a damn good looking truck and bears little resemblance in many aspects. Personally, I would love for Lincoln to come up with a vehicle that is just not a F150 with a new grill, since I think there is a growing segment for that top end buyer to have something different.

Two brands also means dulituting product also. Why should the Silverado "suffer" in features because there is a GMC model?

Ford doesn't have a problem selling 100K Super Duties and I'm betting the numbers support that its better to come out with a higher end product then have a completely different brandname with its associated costs attached to it.

Lincoln has zero credibility in the Truck market, and thats why its products flopped (plus the last F-150 was just to help keep Lincoln with product). Plus it has stigma attached to it-showing up in a high end luxury vehicle at a job site is a good way to piss off people. Hell its even a good way to piss off white collar employees-I used to work for a company and the owner pulls up in a brand new 120K Range Rover to the meeting and then tells us our healthcare prices where going up 5-10% and there be no raises either. Its all about perception. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

Two brands also means dulituting product also. Why should the Silverado "suffer" in features because there is a GMC model?

Ford doesn't have a problem selling 100K Super Duties and I'm betting the numbers support that its better to come out with a higher end product then have a completely different brandname with its associated costs attached to it.

Lincoln has zero credibility in the Truck market, and thats why its products flopped (plus the last F-150 was just to help keep Lincoln with product). Plus it has stigma attached to it-showing up in a high end luxury vehicle at a job site is a good way to piss off people. Hell its even a good way to piss off white collar employees-I used to work for a company and the owner pulls up in a brand new 120K Range Rover to the meeting and then tells us our healthcare prices where going up 5-10% and there be no raises either. Its all about perception. 

You are correct about diluting a brand by offering another brand that is similar but it works! Why do you think there are luxury brands on top of the volume brand. 

And I had a Lincoln truck and everyone knew it was just a F150, but I get your point-they lack credibility in the truck market-but like a few guys have mentioned, this really is not the truck market anymore when you are over $100k and coveting MB, Audi and Land Rover buyers. 

Totally agree with you about perception and boss driving a $120k LR, but it is not much different if he is showing up in a $90k Raptor either. 

My point is I think there is room at the top end (who even knows if this is the top!) for one off, expensive vehicles.....they are miles away from what my reality is but there is a market there.  I'm in Jupiter-Palm Beach this week and one of my best friends works for the 1% centers, of the 1% centers-crazy rich people-those buyers will pay for these type of vehicles. 

Not sure if Ford can play there or not, but they will be watching what happens with the Hummer and respond accordingly. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I agree with most of what you're saying.  The only thing I'll say is that the market IS different today, and we're seeing buyers scoop up those ultra high end models, that could lead to a market for a well-done Lincoln pickup.  But I think if they're going to do that it should be something Rivian-esque - that's EV, feature/tech laden, etc., not just a rebodied F-150.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Lincoln has zero credibility in the Truck market

Until the new Navigator came out, Lincoln had zero credibility in the U.S. luxury vehicle market overall. Though Lincoln has a long way to go to become pertinent to a broader base of U.S. luxury vehicle customers, it's headed in the right direction with new, distinctive products that don't look, feel, and drive like clones of Ford vehicles.

No reason Lincoln can't succeed marketing and selling a BEV luxury pickup truck. They just need to use the same design fundamentals used for new Navigator and new Aviator - make the vehicles truly distinct from the Ford product in the same category. The demand for luxury pickup trucks is extremely strong, there's plenty of room for more entries in that segment.

• Like 3