Hummer EV unveiling this fall (spy pic too)

Anthony

On 10/21/2020 at 4:28 PM, kyle said:

they’ve openly said this is the first of I think 25 vehicles in the next 3-4 years so there will be plenty of BEV truck options to come. 
Is it expensive?  Yup. Is it Over the top?  Maybe yes maybe no but I’m not convinced you need all the crazy trickery of a Raptor or Bronco but those sell or will sell and have a faithful following. 

GM hasn’t had many one hit wonders since Barrera has taken over and you could call the new Vette somewhat of a niche product that is selling extremely well. 

if Ford pulled this off we wouldn’t be having this discussion IMO on this board. 

If GM wants to sell 70-100k of these a year I would be very skeptical but I’d they want to sell this as a halo vehicle and push out 20-30 of these a year and share the platform and tech across other vehicles this will have been mission accomplished. 

Do you seriously believe Ford could not have pulled off a vehicle like this if they wanted to?

My only negative observations of this vehicle stems from the style, which is subjective, and the price which limits the market.  If it’s supposed to be a halo vehicle then the price is a moot point I suppose.    

2 hours ago, akirby said:

So you think a $112K BEV is going to fly off the dealer lots and set sales records?  You're delusional.

If you think people won't pay $112k for this truck, you are also delusional. 

People pay $100k+ for luxury vehicles all day and everyday. At $112k fully loaded, Hummer is not particularly expensive in the context of its competitors. Really, not even close when Ranger Rover starts at $92k and Mercedes G-wagen starts at $130k. I still don't get the indignation about the price in this thread. It's prices well below the mid point of what high end SUVs goes for now days. The eventual price range of $80k to $100k basically mirrors GM's own Escalade... which GM has no problem selling as is. 

https://www.cadillac.com/suvs/escalade/esv/build-and-price/trim

https://www.cadillac.com/suvs/escalade/build-and-price/trim/

Have some objectivity people. Don't be like the butt hurt Wrangler guys putting down Bronco for no reason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

People pay $100k+ for luxury vehicles all day and everyday. At $112k fully loaded, Hummer is not particularly expensive in the context of its competitors. Really, not even close when Ranger Rover starts at $92k and Mercedes G-wagen starts at $130k. I still don't get the indignation about the price in this thread. It's prices well below the mid point of what high end SUVs goes for now days. The eventual price range of $80k to $100k basically mirrors GM's own Escalade... which GM has no problem selling as is. 

Have some objectivity people. Don't be like the butt hurt Wrangler guys putting down Bronco for no reason. 

It’s not just the price.  It’s huge and won’t fit in most garages.  And it’s a BEV.  So you’ll be charging it in the driveway?

Not saying they won’t sell a few out of the gate but thinking this will be a sales success seems optimistic.

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

If you think people won't pay $112k for this truck, you are also delusional.  People pay $100k+ for luxury vehicles all day and everyday. At $112k fully loaded, Hummer is not particularly expensive in the context of its competitors.......

Of course some people will pop the $112,500 for this vehicle.  Allow me to hop on my soapbox, but I view this as a wasted opportunity.  Why did GM management decide to engineer a designer BEV when they could have spent the same time and money developing something more useful, like a BEV Silverado priced in the mid-$50,000 range. Think about it, in the time it took to develop this BEV Hummer, they could have developed a BEV Silverado that would have beat Ford to the market by two years and also come in before the Tesla Cyber truck.  GM could have owned the BEV pickup market.

BTW, I’d be just as critical if Ford developed a BEV toy-for-the-rich.  That’d be a slap in the face to the legacy of a company known for the Model T.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Neighbor had a red Volt.  Looked pretty good.  If they had just made it a regular plug in hybrid with a 50 mile range and created multiple models it would have done a lot better.    Not allowing the ICE to directly drive the wheels all the time hurt fuel economy.

Yet another example of GM one and done.

Had to use that old EMD technology before putting it to pasture once and for all. 

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

Of course some people will pop the $112,500 for this vehicle.  Allow me to hop on my soapbox, but I view this as a wasted opportunity.  Why did GM management decide to engineer a designer BEV when they could have spent the same time and money developing something more useful, like a BEV Silverado priced in the mid-$50,000 range. Think about it, in the time it took to develop this BEV Hummer, they could have developed a BEV Silverado that would have beat Ford to the market by two years and also come in before the Tesla Cyber truck.  GM could have owned the BEV pickup market.

BTW, I’d be just as critical if Ford developed a BEV toy-for-the-rich.  That’d be a slap in the face to the legacy of a company known for the Model T.

Just GM things 

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

Thank you bzcat sir. Please give members of this forum who can't or won't understand the luxury vehicle market some slack. This is a Ford forum, and Ford itself has struggled to understand luxury vehicle market for a very long time.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mustang let back said:

I would never buy from Garbage Motors!!

Great post and glad to see some meaningful contribution!!

Not sure when the last time we've had 6 plus pages on a competitive product on this forum so it that regards, it must mean something.

Lot's of good points made and keep in mind, this is one vehicle of many that will GM has coming out the next few years, including a BEV Silverado/Sierra. 

This race won't be won in a day or a year or two and hard to say who the winners/losers will be, but love seeing the market evolve.  I grew up with my family all employed by GM but in my blood, always been a Ford guy. I've owned or had corporate vehicles from both makes but not a GM guy at all. But love the industry and respect every OEM, including Tesla (which is damn hard to admit) but to say this vehicle is a loser or they are stupid to make this vehicle is very short sighted. Thankfully-we aren't the final verdict, but the market always is.  

On a lighter note, I was over in Fort Myers past few days working and around the corner from a customer visit, I came across a Roush facility and they had 2 Bronco Sports, 3 new F150's, a Mustang MachE and a new Kia Sorento-Bronco Sport looked great and the 150 has a way different look than the current version. Mustang MachE looks great as well:)  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kyle said:

Great post and glad to see some meaningful contribution!!

Not sure when the last time we've had 6 plus pages on a competitive product on this forum so it that regards, it must mean something.

Lot's of good points made and keep in mind, this is one vehicle of many that will GM has coming out the next few years, including a BEV Silverado/Sierra. 

This race won't be won in a day or a year or two and hard to say who the winners/losers will be, but love seeing the market evolve.  I grew up with my family all employed by GM but in my blood, always been a Ford guy. I've owned or had corporate vehicles from both makes but not a GM guy at all. But love the industry and respect every OEM, including Tesla (which is damn hard to admit) but to say this vehicle is a loser or they are stupid to make this vehicle is very short sighted. Thankfully-we aren't the final verdict, but the market always is.  

On a lighter note, I was over in Fort Myers past few days working and around the corner from a customer visit, I came across a Roush facility and they had 2 Bronco Sports, 3 new F150's, a Mustang MachE and a new Kia Sorento-Bronco Sport looked great and the 150 has a way different look than the current version. Mustang MachE looks great as well:)  

You don't like it, too bad

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2020 at 11:14 PM, rperez817 said:

Thank you bzcat sir. Please give members of this forum who can't or won't understand the luxury vehicle market some slack. This is a Ford forum, and Ford itself has struggled to understand luxury vehicle market for a very long time.

And never miss an opportunity to slag off on Ford if your rperez either. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 6:18 PM, bzcat said:

Speaking about high end SUV sales numbers:

Escalade sales for 2019-35,424

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't going to sell in huge numbers, but at the same time are they going to be profitable, which is better performance metric for this. I'm sure that the tech will flow down to the Silverado and GMC pickups, but not knowing how deep the EV High end SUV market is, I wouldn't expect them to sell more then 10-20K or so of them. We aren't talking 100K units a year here. 

That is the real issue-they are wrapping up development costs in a product that high end product to make money back on it. Will they be able to do so?

49 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

That is the real issue-they are wrapping up development costs in a product that high end product to make money back on it. Will they be able to do so?

Yes sir. During GM's EV Day event in March 2020, both the CEO and President of GM said that the company's BEV strategy including Hummer EV represents a "historic reinvention of the company" and that each GM BEV model "will be profitable from day one". 

Here is the thread on GM's EV Day event.

Thanks to the successful debut of Hummer EV, GM's stock is now in positive territory in terms of 52 week and YTD price performance. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/22/hummer-ev-assists-gm-shares-reaching-new-c.html

Morgan Stanley analyst and auto industry expert Adam Jonas made a whimsical but true comment to GM President Mark Reuss. 

"Crab walk – I think some investors are crab-walking back to a stock that they had written off here. So, well-done to you guys"

20 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Thanks to the successful debut of Hummer EV, GM's stock is now in positive territory in terms of 52 week and YTD price performance. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/22/hummer-ev-assists-gm-shares-reaching-new-c.html

Morgan Stanley analyst and auto industry expert Adam Jonas made a whimsical but true comment to GM President Mark Reuss. 

Don't let those pesky additional facts get in the way:

That has given traditional automaker stocks time to play catch-up. General Motors has surged 27% in October, while Ford is not far behind with a 24% gain.

My goodness, Ford is right on GM's tail, yet to hear you tell it, GM has it all over Ford in electrification. By your own metric stated above, that position doesn't hold water.

And then there's this:

From a broader perspective, though, GM stock is still trying to break a long slump. GM, while at a 2020 peak, hasn't yet broken above its October 2017 all-time high and isn't even level with its highest point in 2011, shortly after becoming public again.

Please, give the hyperbole a rest. It gets old.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/23/gm-and-ford-stock-are-outpacing-high-momentum-tesla-shares-this-month.html

https://www.investors.com/research/gm-stock-buy-now/

• Like 1