Hummer EV unveiling this fall (spy pic too)

Anthony

On 10/22/2020 at 3:52 PM, akirby said:

It’s not just the price.  It’s huge and won’t fit in most garages.  And it’s a BEV.  So you’ll be charging it in the driveway?

Not saying they won’t sell a few out of the gate but thinking this will be a sales success seems optimistic.

At it's price point, limited garage space is not an issue to its target demographic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, rmc523 said:

lol, so because they showed a Hummer EV, that means they're good to go, that's the thing to invest in?  But before nope, not a chance?

The CNBC article quoted Bank of America analyst John Murphy who said "GM has been a hotly debated stock for years, but we believe the fundamental Core to Future transition underway at the company remains underappreciated by most investors." Also the article said "no major research firms have upgraded their ratings yet".

So regarding investor confidence in GM it's neither "nope, not a chance" prior to Tuesday's Hummer EV debut, nor "they're good to go, that's the thing to invest in" after. Just one step in the right direction for the company's BEV strategy, and something that brought the stock into positive territory YTD and last 52 weeks. 

There is so much dumbshit in this thread. A lot based on opinion or speculation. Rperez with ,this is the savior technology and GM will win and Ford is behind, right on cue.  Then others automatically poo poo it. 

Much like any other electric pick up, it doesn't exist yet. Tesla doesn't have one. GM doesn't have one. RAM for sure doesn't have one.  We know Ford has a prototype that's it. All other makes are just vaporware, which leaves us speculate on how it will do.  This all smoke and mirrors folks. Let's be honest, we don't know how it will do. I think rich people could buy it but if the Tesla has a better truck they may buy that. Who knows.

GM admits that it doesn't exist yet, and someone pointed out that happened to the Bronco as well. Well, Ford knocked the Bronco out the park. Do you realize how many opportunities Ford had to blow it? A lot, and that's a rare thing to be able to pull it off.  I mean just think if the Sport was the only Bronco we got!  I have no doubt this tech will trickle into Silverado in 2026-28 or so but me personally, have little faith in GM in the luxury market. This is the company that spent tens of billions on 3 sedans to chase BMW, neglecting there was too much overlap and sedan sales were tanking to SUV's. However, I will wait to pass judgement so get back to me whenever it comes out.

9 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Much like any other electric pick up, it doesn't exist yet. Tesla doesn't have one. GM doesn't have one. RAM for sure doesn't have one.  We know Ford has a prototype that's it. All other makes are just vaporware, which leaves us speculate on how it will do.

Well, in deference to @rperez817...Tesla does have a prototype.....with broken unbreakable glass....???

Elon Musk Explains Why Cybertruck Glass Broke, Do You Believe Him?

12 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Much like any other electric pick up, it doesn't exist yet. Tesla doesn't have one. GM doesn't have one. RAM for sure doesn't have one.  We know Ford has a prototype that's it. All other makes are just vaporware, which leaves us speculate on how it will do.

I know this was a year ago but there was a prototype Cybertruck seen driving around LA with Elon himself driving it. Can't find anything more recent though but there is at least 1 functional prototype. 

https://bgr.com/2019/12/09/tesla-cybertruck-video-pictures-elon-musk-driving/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I know this was a year ago but there was a prototype Cybertruck seen driving around LA with Elon himself driving it. Can't find anything more recent though but there is at least 1 functional prototype. 

https://bgr.com/2019/12/09/tesla-cybertruck-video-pictures-elon-musk-driving/

And Rivian is far from "vaporware".

Edited by MY93SHO
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 6:52 AM, silvrsvt said:

Speaking about high end SUV sales numbers:

Escalade sales for 2019-35,424

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't going to sell in huge numbers, but at the same time are they going to be profitable, which is better performance metric for this. I'm sure that the tech will flow down to the Silverado and GMC pickups, but not knowing how deep the EV High end SUV market is, I wouldn't expect them to sell more then 10-20K or so of them. We aren't talking 100K units a year here. 

That is the real issue-they are wrapping up development costs in a product that high end product to make money back on it. Will they be able to do so?

I'm pretty sure this won't be the only vehicle GM is going to build off this platform. Cadillac Lyriq is also using this unibody platform, and of course the Hummer SUV that has yet to be revealed, and there may be a cheaper Chevy version further down the road. And the Ultim battery system is also modular and will be used on all other GM EVs. 

If GM can sell 20k Hummer pickup a year, I think they will be very pleased.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, akirby said:

20K Hummers a year?  They’ll be lucky to sell 2K

We don't know how many GM is planning to make. As usual, I suspect battery supply is likely the constrain on how many it can sell. I think they will get to 2,000 without much difficulty assuming supply is not an issue. 20,000 will be a reach for sure in the first year with just one body style which is why I said they will be very pleased if that happened.

The SUV version of Hummer is probably the one with higher volume possibility but GM didn't say when they plan to build that one.

30 minutes ago, bzcat said:

We don't know how many GM is planning to make. As usual, I suspect battery supply is likely the constrain on how many it can sell. I think they will get to 2,000 without much difficulty assuming supply is not an issue. 20,000 will be a reach for sure in the first year with just one body style which is why I said they will be very pleased if that happened.

The SUV version of Hummer is probably the one with higher volume possibility but GM didn't say when they plan to build that one.

The problem is it won’t fit in a standard garage and that’s where most chargers are going to be.  Range is low at 250 miles because of ludicrous power.  The market for $100K+ vehicles and for BEVs is limited.  Put all of those things together and I just don’t see any sales success here.  Original H1 never sold more than 1400 a year.

A Silvererra sized Hummer at $60K with 400 mile range and less power would outsell this one 10 to 1.

34 minutes ago, akirby said:

The problem is it won’t fit in a standard garage and that’s where most chargers are going to be. 

Akirby, you've repeatedly posted that this vehicle won't fit in a standard garage.  What hard numbers are you using for reference?  I've seen a OAL number of 217", which is 18'.  Height could be variable, due to the air suspension, width will certainly fit thru an 8' door.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

7 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Akirby, you've repeatedly posted that this vehicle won't fit in a standard garage.  What hard numbers are you using for reference?  I've seen a OAL number of 217", which is 18'.  Height could be variable, due to the air suspension, width will certainly fit thru an 8' door.

I thought it said it was wider than a Raptor and that’s too wide for a standard garage.  My F150 barely fits.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, akirby said:

The problem is it won’t fit in a standard garage and that’s where most chargers are going to be.  Range is low at 250 miles because of ludicrous power.  The market for $100K+ vehicles and for BEVs is limited.  Put all of those things together and I just don’t see any sales success here.  Original H1 never sold more than 1400 a year.

A Silvererra sized Hummer at $60K with 400 mile range and less power would outsell this one 10 to 1.

I don't really understand why H1 is being used as a comparison. H1 was military vehicle adopted for civilian use. It had very limited appeal. The Hummer EV is a fairly conventional luxury vehicle so it's more similar in character to H2 than H1. 

The market for $100k vehicle is much bigger than you think. Mercedes sold 7,348 G-class in the US in 2019 (it starts at $157k). A Hummer SUV with sub $100k starting price will absolutely get plenty of attention from these buyers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

I don't really understand why H1 is being used as a comparison. H1 was military vehicle adopted for civilian use. It had very limited appeal. The Hummer EV is a fairly conventional luxury vehicle so it's more similar in character to H2 than H1. 

The market for $100k vehicle is much bigger than you think. Mercedes sold 7,348 G-class in the US in 2019 (it starts at $157k). A Hummer SUV with sub $100k starting price will absolutely get plenty of attention from these buyers. 

Big difference between a $100K Mercedes and a $100K GM.  Add to that it’s a BEV with somewhat limited range and you’re left with a toy for rich people to play with and I don’t think that’s going to sell more than 2K the first year and drop like a rock after that.  It’s a great concept vehicle but it needs to be smaller with more range and $50k-$70K to get significant sales.  Same goes for BEV F150 and Silvererra.

16 hours ago, akirby said:

Big difference between a $100K Mercedes and a $100K GM.  Add to that it’s a BEV with somewhat limited range and you’re left with a toy for rich people to play with and I don’t think that’s going to sell more than 2K the first year and drop like a rock after that.  It’s a great concept vehicle but it needs to be smaller with more range and $50k-$70K to get significant sales.  Same goes for BEV F150 and Silvererra.

The other issue too is that even Luxury makes are having a hard time convincing people to buy BEVs. This might change in five years, but they seem to have issues attracting buyers. 

Telsa buyers are more or less a cult , sorta like iPhone buyers 10 years ago ?

19 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The other issue too is that even Luxury makes are having a hard time convincing people to buy BEVs. This might change in five years, but they seem to have issues attracting buyers. 

Issues with the luxury makes that are having difficulty selling BEV.

1. These automakers are still promoting ICE powered vehicles that compete with their BEV
  2. With the exception of Audi and Porsche's parent company, no commitment to building fast charging infrastructure
  3. No pickup trucks

Tesla is far ahead of the incumbent automakers with BEV because their mission goes far beyond selling motor vehicles.

With Hummer, GM has a brand (sub-brand actually) that's BEV only, so that should help. However, GM still lacks commitment to building fast charging infrastructure, instead relying on third parties for that.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, akirby said:

It hasn't stopped GM from selling Escalade for the same price. 

And what do you think Mercedes G63 is? It's a toy for rich people to play with limited range.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Automakers building their own fast chargers is ridiculous.  Did Ford build their own gas stations in 1920?

Right now one of the primary issues to BEV sales is driving range and buyers are being encouraged to buy and install charging units at home which may be convenient for a customer's local driving needs but doesn't address the long distance concerns regardless of all the press about charging stations available. At some point in the future (5, 10+ years) BEV's will start to sell in enough volume that it will start to have a real impact on gasoline sales. ICE vehicles will still be on the road for decades but wouldn't it make sense for the oil companies to start installing their own charging stations at their franchised gas stations?  

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Porsche Taycan seems to suggest the market is ripe for more $100k+ luxury EVs

The issue thus far is there haven't been any really good luxury EVs, other than Taycan.