Hummer EV unveiling this fall (spy pic too)

Anthony

11 hours ago, akirby said:

The debate is whether BEVs can totally replace ICE/PHEVs and I’m saying people will not go 100% BEV until they can travel 8-10 hours and refuel along the way very similarly to what they can do today with gasoline.  Now of course there are BEV faithful that will do whatever it takes but that’s a tiny percentage.   The rest will want an ICE in the garage but would be willing to buy a BEV for local use and charge at home overnight.  But that’s not going to work for people who can’t charge or people who can only afford one vehicle.

Except in California, of course. ;)

22 hours ago, mackinaw said:

You seem to be saying that a person needs two vehicles, an ICE vehicle for the highway and a BEV for around town.  This smacks of arrogance.  Where I live, most people can't afford to own two new vehicles, especially a part-time BEV for the city. 

I didn't say you need two vehicles. I'm saying EV is a different tool than ICE vehicle. You know what's arrogance? Assuming everyone has the same needs and want the same solution as you. EV will work for a lot of people. It won't work for you because you have an edge use case. That doesn't mean it won't work for other people. 

21 hours ago, rmc523 said:

You’re missing my point completely.  And you’re really comparing a vehicle purchase to a bike?   A vehicle is a 38k average purchase now - most people need vehicles to do anything they need and can’t afford to have multiple cars or rent another car for a trip.

I’m not arguing that EVs don’t have advantages, or a place in the market, or even that they don’t have a future market.  Just saying for most people they’re not a realistic option right now.

The average American household has 1.9 cars so the fact is we can indeed afford multiple cars. And need I remind you that in this thread, we are talking about a $100k EV and this discussion became whether there is a market for such a vehicle. The answer is clearly and obviously yes.

Your second point is a bit of a back paddle after you dismiss EV as "dumb" for not being able to do long distance drives. You are saying it is not realistic option now, but my point didn't have a time horizon. Cross country EV driving will remain impractical for decades to come. It may never become practical. But very few people buy a car with the sole purpose of being able to drive long distances and it will not be a major factor in whether EV gets widespread adoption or not. Price will be the most important determining factor and I'm not even arguing about that point at all. Prices needs to come down some more for EV to be a real practical replacement for most people. 

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

The average American household has 1.9 cars so the fact is we can indeed afford multiple cars. And need I remind you that in this thread, we are talking about a $100k EV and this discussion became whether there is a market for such a vehicle. The answer is clearly and obviously yes.

There is a market, but how many can they sell and how profitable will it be...it seems like a vanity product like Caddy chasing the Germans. 

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

I didn't say you need two vehicles. I'm saying EV is a different tool than ICE vehicle. You know what's arrogance? Assuming everyone has the same needs and want the same solution as you. EV will work for a lot of people. It won't work for you because you have an edge use case. That doesn't mean it won't work for other people. 

Your second point is a bit of a back paddle after you dismiss EV as "dumb" for not being able to do long distance drives. You are saying it is not realistic option now, but my point didn't have a time horizon. Cross country EV driving will remain impractical for decades to come. It may never become practical. But very few people buy a car with the sole purpose of being able to drive long distances and it will not be a major factor in whether EV gets widespread adoption or not. Price will be the most important determining factor and I'm not even arguing about that point at all. Prices needs to come down some more for EV to be a real practical replacement for most people. 

It's not a back pedal at all.  I said the concept of having to rent a car every time you want to do a road trip because you have a BEV that can't do it dumb.

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It's not a back pedal at all.  I said the concept of having to rent a car every time you want to do a road trip because you have a BEV that can't do it dumb.

I wouldn’t call it dumb.  If you only need to do it a few times a year it’s not that bad.  I know some people who rent cars for long trips anyway.

However, I do think it’s something that most people do not want to do because they prefer driving their own vehicles on trips.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

I wouldn’t call it dumb.  If you only need to do it a few times a year it’s not that bad.  I know some people who rent cars for long trips anyway.

However, I do think it’s something that most people do not want to do because they prefer driving their own vehicles on trips.

I guess if a person always buys the lowest trim model then renting a car for long trips would be like driving their own vehicle.  I on the other hand specifically get the upper trim levels with all the creature comforts and nice seats specifically to make those 8+ hour (one way) road trips.  Rentals are bearable but nothing I would want to take on a trip.  I had to do that once, rented an SUV to make a trip because ours was flaking out, ended up with a Traverse.  My back hurt like hell after driving it that long.  Of course that could have been because it was a Chevy, but those seats were garbage.

If we get a BEV it won't be for making road trips, at least ones that require recharging along the way.  Maybe in 10-15 years they will have charge times down to 300 miles in 5 to 10 min, then it would be feasible to make a BEV a primary road tripper.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

If we get a BEV it won't be for making road trips, at least ones that require recharging along the way.  Maybe in 10-15 years they will have charge times down to 300 miles in 5 to 10 min, then it would be feasible to make a BEV a primary road tripper.

This is exactly the way most people feel about BEVs today and why hybrids will be a major player for the near future.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ive yet to hit 100 in one ride but I did a metric century this summer. 

That’s a good start.  I did several 50-70 mile rides before I tackled a 100 mile ride.  I did the ride with several friends.  Being able to draft off the other riders really helps. 

By the way,  on my first metric, I thought I was going to die with about 5 miles left.  The temperature reached almost 100 that day.  That was 10 years ago and I still remember it. lol

Edited by CurtisH
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

That’s a good start.  I did several 50-70 mile rides before I tackled a 100 mile ride.  I did the ride with several friends.  Being able to draft off the other riders really helps. 

By the way,  on my first metric, I thought I was going to die with about 5 miles left.  The temperature reached almost 100 that day.  That was 10 years ago and I still remember it. lol

I haven't ridden nearly as much as I would like in the last 2 months, mostly due to the new baby. 

• Like 1

Since Rivian doesn't truly compete with the Hummer as a Ranger sized truck I think Ford will build the Larger E Bronco competition in Oakville. That or Rivian will build it. 

It's also hard to say this competes with the Bronco since the Hummer is prices closer to Land rover or Mercedes. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/20/2020 at 10:21 PM, 7Mary3 said:

Electric Silverado is coming too.

On 10/20/2020 at 10:24 PM, tbone said:

The question is when, because that’s where the battle is at.  

GM confirmed today that Electric Silverado will be built at Factory ZERO in Detroit, same plant that will assemble Hummer EV. They didn't mention start of production date though. First-Ever Chevrolet Silverado Electric Pickup to be Built at GM's Factory ZERO Plant

19 hours ago, rperez817 said:

GM confirmed today that Electric Silverado will be built at Factory ZERO in Detroit, same plant that will assemble Hummer EV. They didn't mention start of production date though. First-Ever Chevrolet Silverado Electric Pickup to be Built at GM's Factory ZERO Plant

GM stock closed at almost $62 a share yesterday after the production for Silverado EV was confirmed. This is the highest since GM's IPO in 2010. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/06/gm-shares-hit-new-record-on-plans-for-electric-chevy-silverado-pickup.html

LMC Automotive reports that Hummer EV production plans are ahead of the original schedule. Busy Launch Sked at GM’s Factory Zero, LMC Reports | WardsAuto

"

LMC Automotive, the forecasting partner of Wards Intelligence, maintains a production launch schedule for North American assembly plants, and its database is constantly updated based on its research and information from industry sources.

The LMC data suggests the cadence at Factory Zero, over the past several months, has moved forward for all of the upcoming vehicles.

LMC said previously the Hummer pickup would launch this November, but recently it reported the production launch was moved up to September. Production of the Cruise Origin is slated to begin next May, according to LMC.

Next up is the Silverado EV, which LMC initially reported would begin production in December 2023. Now, it’s forecast to launch in September 2022.

Then comes the Hummer SUV, which originally was scheduled for a December 2023 launch. LMC now expects the Hummer SUV to begin production in November 2022, which aligns with GM’s plan to begin selling the vehicle in early 2023.

Although not confirmed yet by GM, LMC forecasts Factory Zero will have yet another BEV, a production version of the Cadillac Celestiq that debuted at CES earlier this year. LMC says the vehicle will launch at Factory Zero in October 2023.

LMC also has information about the Cadillac BEVs that will roll out of the Spring Hill, TN, plant that is now being retooled. First to launch is the Lyriq in March 2022, followed by a Cadillac D-size CUV in 2024."

• 1 month later...