Hummer EV unveiling this fall (spy pic too)

Anthony

I’m in the other camp and think this thing will be a big hit.

it has unique styling-something damn near every EV buyer wants and GM knows how to build a great truck. 

GM also has more experience than anyone with BEV besides Tesla and I’m pretty intrigued with their technology. 

Make silly comment after another but this thing is the real deal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, kyle said:

I’m in the other camp and think this thing will be a big hit.

it has unique styling-something damn near every EV buyer wants and GM knows how to build a great truck. 

GM also has more experience than anyone with BEV besides Tesla and I’m pretty intrigued with their technology. 

Yes sir kyle, you provided a great summary of GM's competitive advantages with Hummer EV truck.

• GM is very good at designing, building, and marketing pickup trucks. They've traditionally been the #1 seller of pickup trucks in the U.S. (Ford overtook them in 2019, but previously GM was the leader, and GM may regain its lead in 2020).
  • Among the incumbent automakers, GM's BEV development experience is the most extensive. Also, GM is going all-in with BEV now and won't waste time and effort pursuing gasoline-electric hybrids or hydrogen fuel-cells for retail customers.
  • The expected launch date in 2021 for Hummer EV truck should be at about the same time as Rivian R1T, Tesla Cybertruck, Bollinger B2, Atlis XT, and Lordstown Endurance, and before Ford F-150 BEV, Nikola Badger, and Fisker Alaska.

I agree Hummer EV truck will be a big hit. Pickup trucks are the hottest light vehicle segment right now and BEV is one pillar of the automotive industry's whole future. Combining the 2, as Hummer EV truck does, is a game changer.

• Like 1

https://www.motor1.com/news/449980/2022-gmc-hummer-ev/

lots of info here. Edition 1 comes out in the fall for 112k. Lower priced models will roll out every year through 2024 with the base model coming out in 2024 for 80k.2022-gmc-hummer-ev-interior.jpg2022-gmc-hummer-ev-rear.jpg2022-gmc-hummer-ev-front.jpg2022-gmc-hummer-ev-bed.jpggmc-hummer-electric-pickup-truck-video-r

seems like it has some pretty cool off-road features. That last picture shows the adjustable suspension. It also has 18 cameras, including front and rear undercarriage cameras. The removable panels of the roof are see through and can be stored in the frunk (at least that’s what they showed on the video).

I don’t care for the hummer grille and the back of the cab, but the interior was nice. I’d like to see a bronco truck with a similar roof. I’d take that for half the price anyday..

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Official press release from GM. https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/oct/1020-hummer.html

Highlights.

• Segment-Exclusive 4 Wheel Steer featuring CrabWalk1 — a segment-exclusive feature that allows the rear wheels and front wheels to steer at the same angle at low speeds, enabling diagonal movement of the vehicle, for even greater maneuverability on challenging terrain.
  • Adaptive Air Suspension with available segment-leading, Extract Mode2 capability enables the suspension height to be raised approximately 6 inches (149 mm) to help the HUMMER EV negotiate extreme off-road situations such as clearing boulders or fording water.
  • 35-inch-OD Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires offered standard; and the capability to accommodate 37-inch tires3. They offer exceptional strength and flexibility to optimize maneuverability with the HUMMER EV’s unprecedented off-road capability, including scaling 18-inch verticals and driving through water that is more than 2 feet deep.
  • Underbody armor, consisting of sturdy steel plates that are strategically located around the battery pack and more to help provide protection in extreme off-roading conditions.
  • UltraVision4 that includes new front and rear underbody cameras with live “virtual spotter” views to help drivers navigate obstacles and place wheels on and off the trail. The underbody cameras are packaged to help protect against damage and equipped with a wash function to help clear debris. HUMMER EV offers a best-in-class number of camera views, with up to 18 available from the vehicle to help increase awareness of surroundings.
  • Off-road widgets that display vehicle functions and terrain status through the infotainment and driver information screens. Examples include torque output, differential locker engagement, tire pressure, pitch and roll angles (including maximum values), a drift gauge (with maximum values), friction circle, torque vectoring and more.
  • Three-motor e4WD drive system that will offer the equivalent of GM-estimated 1,000 horsepower and GM-estimated 11,500 lb-ft of torque.
  • 800-volt DC public fast charging5 compatibility of up to 350 kilowatts. Industry-first technology mechanically switches the batteries from parallel to series mode during charging, which makes HUMMER EV compatible with the fastest 350 kW DC fast chargers, enabling nearly 100 miles of range in 10 minutes of charging6.
  • 24-module, double-stacked Ultium battery propulsion system that will offer excellent range and power to three motors.
  • GM-estimated 350+ miles of driving range7 on a full charge, based on preliminary testing.
  • The latest version of Super Cruise8, an available driver assistance feature offering hands-free driving on more than 200,000 miles (approximately 322,000 km) of enabled roads, and a new automatic lane changing feature, where the system can determine when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver, while following signaling protocols.
  • Watts to Freedom9 — a driver-selectable immersive experience that unleashes the full acceleration capability of the EV propulsion system, including GM-estimated 0-60-mph performance in approximately 3 seconds.
  • Drive Mode Control offers driver-selectable modes that tailor performance — including torque splits between the front and rear wheels, and four-wheel steering settings — for different driving conditions. It includes Terrain Mode, which raises the HUMMER EV’s ride height by nearly 2 inches.
  • Adaptive Ride Control continuous damping that is tailored for both on- and off-road driving.
  • Open-air driving enabled by the structural rigidity of the Ultium batteries, with standard Infinity Roof and removable transparent Sky Panels that can stow in the “frunk” storage compartment at the front of the vehicle.
  • Premium, technical interior materials.
  • Large, 13.4-inch diagonal infotainment10 screen and 12.3-inch diagonal driver information center display convey a wealth of vehicle performance and driver awareness information.
  • MultiPro Tailgate with six functional positions.
  • Power rear drop glass window and power tonneau cover.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They want HOW MUCH for that? 

From that Motor 1 article:

GMC Hummer EV Price & Release Date
The first electric Hummer up for grabs is the $112,595 Edition 1, which will be the only model available when the pickup arrives in Fall 2021. Every Edition 1 will be identically equipped, painted white and outfitted with an attractive, modern Lunar Horizon interior. Like most launch specials, the 2022 GMC Hummer EV Edition 1 is fully loaded, including the Infinity Roof, Watts to Freedom drive mode, adaptive dampers, an Extreme Off-Road Package (underbody armor, rock sliders, and those 35-inch tires), and four-wheel steering with CrabWalk. Super Cruise also comes standard on the Edition 1.

In Fall 2022, one year after the Hummer’s initial launch, a $99,995 variant called the EV3X will arrive with a three-motor powertrain, adaptive air suspension, Watts to Freedom mode, CrabWalk, and active torque vectoring. Then, in Spring 2023, we’ll get the $89,995 Hummer EV2X, which offers CrabWalk, adaptive air suspension, and a two-motor electric powertrain. Fleshing out the lineup in Spring 2024 will be the two-motor EV2 base model, foregoes most of the EV2X’s off-road goodies to hit a base price of $79,995.

GMC’s trim walk here is a complete head-scratcher. It’s a bit odd that we’ll have to wait three and a half years for the base-model Hummer EV to arrive, particularly since we’ll see that top-spec Edition 1 in about a year. In the intervening time, we think we’ll see production-ready Rivian R1T and Tesla Cybertruck offerings hit the market, giving the General some stiff competition if those models’ claimed numbers are to be believed

Edited by rmc523

If this were 60k with a V8, I think they wouldn’t be able to keep them on dealer lots. At 112k, they might be sitting on the lot for a while. The cyber truck starts at around 40k I think. Rivian is around 70k. You could buy both of those for the same price as the hummer.

13 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

..........The cyber truck starts at around 40k I think. Rivian is around 70k. You could buy both of those for the same price as the hummer.

I'm hardly in the market for a BEV SUV, but if I were, why would I pay $112,500 for a EV Hummer when I can buy a EV Rivian for $70,000?  GM, I don't get your pricing.

5 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I'm hardly in the market for a BEV SUV, but if I were, why would I pay $112,500 for a EV Hummer when I can buy a EV Rivian for $70,000? 

You're comparing the base model Rivian R1T (105 kWh) with the top of the line Hummer EV Edition 1 (200 kWh). Like GM is doing with Hummer, Rivian is releasing the high-end version of R1T first (180 kWh). Pretty sure that version will cost well above $70k.

51 minutes ago, JTL2017 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised by the time this is ready for production ford will already have a full size bronco truck/suv EV revealed.

You mean the 5 years it took to get Bronco to production after Ford said it would come to market?  Have a friend whose been on this project as a supplier and GM has poured a ton of money into this and is adamant that they beat Ford to market. 

You can almost get to $100k now with a pick up truck so this isn’t that far off the mark-but agree there are other options coming also that might be leveling the pricing structure the Big 3 have with pick ups. 

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Meh. it looks like an Avalanche with a Hummer styling.

Nothing earth shattering. I'm curious to the pricing.

Yep, agreed.  The design doesn’t do anything for me.  

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yet another meh design from GM in a long and very recent line of uninspired design. 

At least it doesn't look like it was beaten with an ugly stick like the new Silverado/HD

And I concur with this as well. 

43 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

You're comparing the base model Rivian R1T (105 kWh) with the top of the line Hummer EV Edition 1 (200 kWh). Like GM is doing with Hummer, Rivian is releasing the high-end version of R1T first (180 kWh). Pretty sure that version will cost well above $70k.

We know you are a regular GM champion on here, however please don’t try to justify the ridiculous price of this thing.  It has some good stats, and some neat features, but $112k?  Even if I could spend that much on a truck, it would not be this one.  Even at $80k, it still wouldn’t be this one.  

I noticed in the commercial for this truck, they mentioned how it was quiet.  I guess I’m old school, but I still like the sound of a motor, although I recognize the performance capabilities of the electrics. 

This thing is awesome.  Sure, it will be $100,000+, but it will sell.  GM will make less expensive versions of this platform with fewer features and that's where the volume will be.  Now we see why GM didn't go ahead with a Wrangler competitor, this is where they have been spending their money.  

They did beat Ford to market with a BEV 'Super' truck, but I really don't think Ford has the money to do something like this if they wanted too.  Sorry to say....... 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kyle said:

You mean the 5 years it took to get Bronco to production after Ford said it would come to market?  Have a friend whose been on this project as a supplier and GM has poured a ton of money into this and is adamant that they beat Ford to market. 

You can almost get to $100k now with a pick up truck so this isn’t that far off the mark-but agree there are other options coming also that might be leveling the pricing structure the Big 3 have with pick ups. 

Hard to argue how long it took for the Bronco, however at least it looks like they got it right after what amounts to a redo.  

At what did they beat Ford to market?  It would have mattered if this was an electric Silverado, but instead they chose this route which I’m not even clear Who this vehicle targets or what category it is trying to compete in. 

• Like 1