Ford Protect in Quick Lane

I'm wondering whether there is any disadvantage to taking your car to a Quick Lane for the prepaid Ford Protect service, vs going to the normal service department.  Can anyone tell me? I've been told by the Quick Lane they can do it, but can they really handle the full service you are supposed to get when you go in for those (since you've already paid)?

Thanks!

This makes me laugh. I don’t know why they call it quick lane, there is nothing quick about getting an oil change at the dealership. It takes me at least 2 hours at the dealership where it would take 15 min at any other place.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

This makes me laugh. I don’t know why they call it quick lane, there is nothing quick about getting an oil change at the dealership. It takes me at least 2 hours at the dealership where it would take 15 min at any other place.

Same here. No difference in time between the 2 quick lanes near my house and my dealer that doesn't have a quick lane. I refuse to go to one of those drive in places though after I went to one and ended up with the oil filter not being tightened at all. 

55 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I'm usually out in 45 minutes for a "Works", including the tire rotation.

HRG

My dad had a bad experience with quick lane. He tried to schedule an oil change and was told just to to walk-in. He drives there (30 minutes away) and is told they're full for the day and to try calling ahead next time |:-|

I was going to the same dealer for service at the time and during that period I was told service is by appointment and another time it was simply first come first serve. It was a super clusterfuck.

Edited by probowler

I've always been a little suspicious when you get that checklist of things that were done, at the end there, when you're checking out, as to whether or not they actually happened.  Just like @akirby though, that's probably just me being cynical as well.

All this does give me some reason to stop and think about whether I want to purchase the prepaid services next time I buy a car, or not, though.  On the one hand, changing the oil on my car (a Gen2 Fusion Sport) is kind of challenging in a couple of ways that some other cars aren't.  And I'm not sure I'd trust a normal non-Ford quick-change type place to get it right.  But on the other hand, it feels like I just way overpaid for the services probably, especially if I don't get a feeling I'm definitely getting the actual full services.  But again, that's just my own skepticism probably talking.  I have no real reason to believe it's not all getting done, properly.  In fact, that's why I bought the prepaid service to begin with----I figured my chances of things getting done right were better at Ford than at some random shop.

22 minutes ago, ncffs said:

I've always been a little suspicious when you get that checklist of things that were done, at the end there, when you're checking out, as to whether or not they actually happened.  Just like @akirby though, that's probably just me being cynical as well.

All this does give me some reason to stop and think about whether I want to purchase the prepaid services next time I buy a car, or not, though.  On the one hand, changing the oil on my car (a Gen2 Fusion Sport) is kind of challenging in a couple of ways that some other cars aren't.  And I'm not sure I'd trust a normal non-Ford quick-change type place to get it right.  But on the other hand, it feels like I just way overpaid for the services probably, especially if I don't get a feeling I'm definitely getting the actual full services.  But again, that's just my own skepticism probably talking.  I have no real reason to believe it's not all getting done, properly.  In fact, that's why I bought the prepaid service to begin with----I figured my chances of things getting done right were better at Ford than at some random shop.

My personal rule is if it's under warranty, I don't do the oil change, that way if something gets messed up I can prove it wasn't me. If it's out of warranty, I'll do any and all repairs I'm capable of doing on my own. 

The prepaid stuff is only cheaper if you were planning to let the dealership do their normal super services where they claim to do 87 inspections and charge $300 every 15k miles.   Plus you’re locked into using the dealerships and have to go by their rules.

Just pay for your own maintenance and you can choose when and where to do whatever.  Do it yourself or have anybody else do it.  Do it at whatever mileage you want.  Even if you just take it to the quick lane at the dealer every 6 months you’ll be better off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The prepaid stuff is only cheaper if you were planning to let the dealership do their normal super services where they claim to do 87 inspections and charge $300 every 15k miles.   Plus you’re locked into using the dealerships and have to go by their rules.

Just pay for your own maintenance and you can choose when and where to do whatever.  Do it yourself or have anybody else do it.  Do it at whatever mileage you want.  Even if you just take it to the quick lane at the dealer every 6 months you’ll be better off.

I got a maintenance plan when we got our new car. I ran the numbers and the price for everything that was included was much cheaper than competing oil change stores so I got it. Now knowing how long it takes to get an oil change at the dealership, I’d gladly pay more at other locations just to be done quicker. Probably won’t be doing a maintenance deal again.

13 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I got a maintenance plan when we got our new car. I ran the numbers and the price for everything that was included was much cheaper than competing oil change stores so I got it. Now knowing how long it takes to get an oil change at the dealership, I’d gladly pay more at other locations just to be done quicker. Probably won’t be doing a maintenance deal again.

What was the cost and coverage?

Part of my problem is getting scheduled locally is......difficult.  Actually, even getting hold of the service department and getting a response is difficult.  Whereas if I can just drop by the Quick Lane, I don't have to do that.  BUT....  And this is the big "but" here....   I just wasn't sure the Quick Lane was actually equipped to do, and would actually do, everything that is included in the Ford Protect plan.  Which, to be honest, I'm not even entirely sure what is supposed to be included.  I thought it was "The Works" services, but looking back at my documents, I don't actually see that laid out.  So now I'm not even sure what they're supposed to be giving me.  In any event, with so much confusion and uncertainty around it, I'm not sure I'll ever buy a plan like that again.

1 hour ago, ncffs said:

Part of my problem is getting scheduled locally is......difficult.  Actually, even getting hold of the service department and getting a response is difficult.  Whereas if I can just drop by the Quick Lane, I don't have to do that.  BUT....  And this is the big "but" here....   I just wasn't sure the Quick Lane was actually equipped to do, and would actually do, everything that is included in the Ford Protect plan.  Which, to be honest, I'm not even entirely sure what is supposed to be included.  I thought it was "The Works" services, but looking back at my documents, I don't actually see that laid out.  So now I'm not even sure what they're supposed to be giving me.  In any event, with so much confusion and uncertainty around it, I'm not sure I'll ever buy a plan like that again.

Hi ncffs. As akirby stated, all that needs to be done/will be done under the prepaid Maintenance Plan is the regular scheduled maintenance listed in the Maintenance Schedule in your Owners Manual.

And if you check that Maintenance Schedule, you will find that essentially consists of an oil/filter change, tire rotation and Multi-point check ("check this/check that"). In other words, "The Works" package.

Until you get into higher mileages, there is not much else to do as far as routine maintenance.  Oil/filter changes and tire rotations along with the Multi-point maintenance check every 1 year/10,000 miles. Then once you are further down the time/mileage road, you are looking at coolant flushes, plugs (at ~100,000 miles) and things like that. But for many owners, they will not even reach that type of mileage before their Maintenance Plan is expired.

Now you can certainly perform some of those later maintenance items sooner, and I would even recommend it. But the Maintenance Plan will normally only do them on the Ford/Lincoln schedule.

You can use The Quick Lane without worries.

On a side note, only because you mention it: I would recommend not purchasing the Maintenance Plan in the future. As described, it is mainly only "The Works" and wiper refills until you get into very high mileage. And you can buy a lot of them at $39.95 for what you probably paid for the maintenance plan.

On the other hand, I would recommend purchasing the ESP/Extended Warranty (although akirby will disagree with me and say to self-insure?), as it is an insurance type of plan, as opposed to a regular maintenance plan which you can do and pay for yourself for less money. Both sides (purchase the ESP versus self-insure) have their valid points.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1