Ford Q2 2020 financials

11 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Tesla sold 367500 units out of one factory last year. From what I understand, BEVs are easier to build then regular cars and I guess you can produce more from

thr same footprint?

maybe that is Ford’s thinking is that it can shrink more plants, but still build the same amount of product or more. 

Could be.

Wasn't/isn't the NUMMI plant they took over massive, though?  I seem to remember reading that a while back.

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Could be.

Wasn't/isn't the NUMMI plant they took over massive, though?  I seem to remember reading that a while back.

I remember reading several years back that Tesla, at that time, was only using a small part of the NUMMI plant.  Dn't know about now.  

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Could be.

Just as an example, Ford's newest plant, Dearborn Truck Plant

Facility size    2,600,000 square feet (241,547 m2)
Land occupied    1,100 acres

Tesla:

5.3 million square feet of manufacturing and office space on 370 acres of land.

Following the City of Fremont’s approval of Tesla’s expansion plans in 2016, the company will nearly double the size of the facility to almost 10 million square feet

Do keep in mind that Tesla manufactures alot of its own stuff in house, so its not an apples to apples comparison. I was at the Tesla plant a few years ago and took a took and it didn't seem that massive vs the plant my old man used to work in, which was only 1.3 Million square foot.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:40 PM, jpd80 said:

It's the efficiency experts running the numbers on what Ford really needs to build,

that makes perfect sense if the recovery on most vehicles is poor or loss makers?

OK try this, Ford does the unthinkable and closes FRAP and OAC,

would the loss of either be a permanent loss in sales or just

a temporary thing?

Usually plants are closed in response to declining market share.  Unfortunately, when a plant in the US and Canada closes, it rarely gets reopened.  Any increase in production usually comes from Mexico and other low-wage countries. 

On 8/2/2020 at 2:09 PM, silvrsvt said:

I was under the impression that they where modifying an existing plant since the expected output of a large SUV like that would only be in the 100k range-not exactly enough to keep a large plant profitable. 

They added a paint building to the two engine plants they had there.  

On 8/2/2020 at 10:39 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I have too but this time feels different. I can't confirm for sure if it's true or not but my union rep told me that it was one of 4 plants that were going to close up until hours before the tentative agreement was announced. 3 of the 4 remained open. My gut tells me the stay in execution is only temporary. 

Look at GM Hamtramck.  A year ago it was a goner now it has a $2.2 Billion expansion going on. 

On 8/2/2020 at 2:09 PM, silvrsvt said:

I was under the impression that they where modifying an existing plant since the expected output of a large SUV like that would only be in the 100k range-not exactly enough to keep a large plant profitable. 

The new Chrysler plant has a capacity of 250,000 from what I understand. 

8 hours ago, Footballfan said:

Look at GM Hamtramck.  A year ago it was a goner now it has a $2.2 Billion expansion going on. 

Closing a plant in the city your headquarters and union headquarters are in, a neighborhood that you destroyed to build the plant, and an area that is very poor socially  brings monumental bad PR that would be talked about for years. Add people in your CEO circles are dumping billions to revitalize the City and you're cutting and running makes for some rough conversations when you're at the DAC. Toss FCA building a second assembly plant and offering to buy your assembly plant to expand production Barra was in a horrid place for a CEO, It's not like it is new investment, the 2.2 billion would have just gone to another plant(s) so other people suffered because it remained open.