Cadillac Lyriq EV Teased

rmc523

First off, the name is dumb. That rear pillar is horrendous. It needs to be about a third of the size and painted black, similar to the aviator, and then maybe it would be acceptable. I actually like the front end, but the grille needs to lose all those lines. The interior is really nice though, but that won’t save this from being a dud, especially with what Cadillac will probably charge for this. I’d be surprised if they charge less than $80k for it.

So I did some plastic surgery to the rear end and am curious what you guys think....

My update included extending the taillight upward to the upper greenhouse chrome strip and giving it a "fin" at the top to match the cut line of the chrome strip.  I then made the portion of the d-pillar behind the taillight black to emphasize the unique upright body color d-pillar.

I also felt like there were a lot of unnecessary "tiers" or "levels" of lines for the sake of lines, so I cleaned it up by moving the license plate opening upward to underneath the main body "waistline" crease (the one that extends around the vehicle).  Following this thought, I pulled the corner vertical lights up higher to reach this same "waistline" 

XXVqcVK.jpg

This second variation takes the upper lights and makes them chrome - this effect can retain the unique upper+lower lighting signature combo I think they want to go for at night, while emphasizing the vertical fin taillights Cadillac is known for.

FXZVCMh.jpg

And here's the original for reference:

sQ8dv2A.jpg

Here it is from the side profile, in the same order:

Update:

NVePNp2.jpg

Update w/ chrome upper lights:

JYAs0JV.jpg

Original:

QeWHI3O.jpg

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

So I did some plastic surgery to the rear end and am curious what you guys think....

My update included extending the taillight upward to the upper greenhouse chrome strip and giving it a "fin" at the top to match the cut line of the chrome strip.  I then made the portion of the d-pillar behind the taillight black to emphasize the unique upright body color d-pillar.

I also felt like there were a lot of unnecessary "tiers" or "levels" of lines for the sake of lines, so I cleaned it up by moving the license plate opening upward to underneath the main body "waistline" crease (the one that extends around the vehicle).  Following this thought, I pulled the corner vertical lights up higher to reach this same "waistline" 

This definitely helps with some of the general awkwardness, but the design itself is fundamentally flawed. The visual massing on the rear end is a disaster... the taillights sit too low and angle away too drastically, while the emblem and license plate fight to be your eye's natural focal point. The effect is disjointed and disharmonious to the extreme. 

The issues of improper massing and lack of focal direction have been happening on most new GM designs. 

I’m very curious to see what the next Lincoln (hopefully an ev) will be like. One thing I will give Cadillac is they have the interior design down with the new Escalade and Lyriq. Hopefully Lincoln designers are closely looking at those interiors and trying to one up them.

4 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

This definitely helps with some of the general awkwardness, but the design itself is fundamentally flawed. The visual massing on the rear end is a disaster... the taillights sit too low and angle away too drastically, while the emblem and license plate fight to be your eye's natural focal point. The effect is disjointed and disharmonious to the extreme. 

The issues of improper massing and lack of focal direction have been happening on most new GM designs. 

Oh sure, I knew I was putting lipstick on a pig lol  But I tried haha.

• 8 months later...

Production version of Cadillac Lyriq officially debuted today. This model is the 1st Cadillac in GM's plan for a 100% electric vehicle product portfolio and marks the end of newly designed ICE powered Cadillac cars and light trucks in the U.S. market.

Reservations will open up in September 2021, first retail deliveries expected 1st and 2nd quarters of 2022. 2023 Cadillac LYRIQ Debuts, Heralding an All-Electric Future

Today marked a pioneering moment for Cadillac that illuminates the brand’s future and resets the fundamental notions of luxury motoring. The production debut of the 2023 Cadillac LYRIQ is the culmination of a century of innovation and the beginning of a great new era. With testing of Cadillac’s inaugural electric luxury SUV running ahead of schedule, the brand announced that customers may place order reservations beginning in September 2021, with initial availability starting the first half of 2022.

The 2023 Cadillac LYRIQ is expected to go into production in the first quarter of 2022, with pricing starting at $59,9907. It will be produced at GM’s Spring Hill, Tennessee assembly facility, which is receiving a $2 billion investment to support electric vehicle production. An additional $2.3 billion is being invested in an all-new battery cell manufacturing plant at Spring Hill, by Ultium Cells LLC, the joint venture between GM and LG Energy Solution.

A new ad campaign featuring the 2023 Cadillac LYRIQ debuts April 25, during the Oscars broadcast.

2023-cadillac-lyriq-101-1619010580.jpg

2023-cadillac-lyriq-107-1619010580.jpg

2023-cadillac-lyriq-204-1619011234.jpg

2023-cadillac-lyriq-210-1619011233.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 10:13 AM, rperez817 said:

Production version of Cadillac Lyriq officially debuted today. This model is the 1st Cadillac in GM's plan for a 100% electric vehicle product portfolio and marks the end of newly designed ICE powered Cadillac cars and light trucks in the U.S. market.

Reservations will open up in September 2021, first retail deliveries expected 1st and 2nd quarters of 2022. 2023 Cadillac LYRIQ Debuts, Heralding an All-Electric Future

34 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

The first Cadillac Lyriq pre-production units rolled off the assembly line at GM's Spring Hill plant yesterday, 9 months ahead of schedule. Mark Reuss on LinkedIn: As I’ve said before, our people and manufacturing expertise will enable | 124 comments

How is this 9 months ahead of schedule?  Based on your quote from April 2021, deliveries were expected to start in the 1st or 2nd quarter of this year. 

48 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

How is this 9 months ahead of schedule?  Based on your quote from April 2021, deliveries were expected to start in the 1st or 2nd quarter of this year. 

Thank you CurtisH sir for your post, and sorry for any confusion. When Lyriq prototype was originally shown in Summer 2020, GM's planned schedule was for first Lyriqs to roll off the assembly line in late 2022 (3rd to 4Q). In April 2021, GM accelerated that timeframe to 1st or 2nd quarter this year. 

The 9 months ahead of schedule mentioned previously is comparing GM's original Lyriq launch date of 3rd to 4th Quarter 2022 with the actual assembly and release of the first pre-production Lyriq on January 19, 2022.