Hackett to retire 1 October, Jim Farley to become CEO

Hackett will be missed when he retires from Ford. He's a good businessman, without his leadership Ford would be in much worse shape than it is now.

Does Jim Farley have what it takes to finish Hackett's efforts to get Ford fit again? There's still a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

Retire or forced out?

Depends-looking at things now..it appears that Ford is on a downswing of fixing things from when Mullally left. 

2017 Rebooted PD by getting rid of cars in NA and focusing on trucks/SUV/CUVs

Fixing management by making it more flat and hopefully removing fiefdoms

Over the next 18 months or so they have 4 major new programs that are vital to the health of the company-The Mach E, Bronco/Bronco Sport and F-150.  

So I'm leaning towards more of retirement then being forced out...he's leaving the company in general good shape, but still needs improving.

Ford has to figure out where it wants to go for the next 5-10 years yet and what product to focus on, while transitioning to BEVs, which should be more mainstream in 10 years. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

Retire or forced out?

Retire, He's 65 and was brought in to be the bad guy and fix structural issues at Ford and cleanup the dead weight and kingdoms. Farley has been getting groomed from when he left Toyota for this spot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Ford per say isn't a bad company-it's the fiefdoms in it that are screwing up things...hopefully the last reorg has fixed that or at least made major inroads to fixing that issue. 

It's Ford's corporate culture. No one's been able to fix it. Too many more concerned about job preservation and career advancement instead of doing what's best for the company long term. And every time there's a management change previous plans get scrapped and replaced with the latest "better idea".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Hackett will be missed when he retires from Ford. He's a good businessman, without his leadership Ford would be in much worse shape than it is now.

Does Jim Farley have what it takes to finish Hackett's efforts to get Ford fit again? There's still a lot of work to do.

Farley's the latest "golden boy" to be anointed for the CEO's position. Time will tell but we're rid of Hackett and stuck with Farley now. 

• Like 1

I wish Hackett the best of luck for his future and thank him for what he has done for Ford... especially the Bronco. I also wish Farley the best of luck with his new job and am confident he'll do well.

41 minutes ago, Moosetang said:

Autoextremist tomorrow will be 2,000 words worth of wailing and gnashing of teeth. 

Was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw this thread. ?

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

It’s hilarious seeing the comments on the Bronco groups and forums saying good riddance.  I don’t think they understand exactly how much his leadership affected the final Bronco product and how disappointed they would be without him.

Sounded like Bronco Sport was basically what we were getting as Bronco.

---

I know it was ultimately expected for this transition to happen, but didn't expect it so soon.  At least we don't have to listen to any more bizarre speeches that nobody understands anymore.

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

It's Ford's corporate culture. No one's been able to fix it. Too many more concerned about job preservation and career advancement instead of doing what's best for the company long term. And every time there's a management change previous plans get scrapped and replaced with the latest "better idea".

I believe this happens virtually everywhere, public or private. 

• Like 3

I mean, didn't he get rolled out as a short term solution? He was the Ax man and helped unify the vision. He helped clean up the mess that Fields left. Now, he wasn't perfect and his foray into some of the electric/shared/autonomous transportation may have been with mixed success but overall I'd give him a solid B/B+.

In regards to the Ford corporate culture, I think you see a lot of what you see at Ford at many large companies. This is typical for companies that hire too much from within the company. You get too many vp's/directors/managers that have been there forever 10 plus years. They don't want to rock the boat. They want to keep their gravy train going. If you were making 150-250k (just salary, not including all the other bonus/comp) a year, would you want to risk that by creating problems trying to resolve the systemic issues? No, keep your head down make sure your teams do their job and that's it. Big picture doesn't matter, as long as your team does their job you can deflect and keep rolling in the money. 

Edited by jcartwright99

15 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

his foray into some of the electric/shared/autonomous transportation may have been with mixed success but overall I'd give him a solid B/B+.

Hackett deserves a lot of credit simply for getting Ford to take electric/shared/autonomous transportation seriously. Ford's future survival depends on expanding the foundation that Hackett helped put in place for those things.

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Ford per say isn't a bad company-it's the fiefdoms in it that are screwing up things...hopefully the last reorg has fixed that or at least made major inroads to fixing that issue. 

Exactly.  And Mulally's biggest accomplishment was breaking the fiefdoms up.  Unfortunately, after he left they came back.