Hackett to retire 1 October, Jim Farley to become CEO

59 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

LOL, is that a hint on size or price?

I'm not convinced that Ford knows what to do with Lincoln apart from exclusive, over-priced electric vehicles

Why are you not convinced? Pretty much revamped their whole line in 4 years. The least competitive vehicle is the Nautilus and it's really just the interior that sets it back. It's pretty clear what they are going to do. ICE/PHEV and slowly roll out an electric or two. I don't really find their cars to be overpriced compared to the competition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

Why are you not convinced? Pretty much revamped their whole line in 4 years. The least competitive vehicle is the Nautilus and it's really just the interior that sets it back. It's pretty clear what they are going to do. ICE/PHEV and slowly roll out an electric or two. I don't really find their cars to be overpriced compared to the competition.

While Ford gave Lincoln a full line up of utilities, it was like pulling teeth how painfully slow the whole show was,

and they insisted on the Continental first when the dealer council was pleading for a three-row SUV for years.

Don't get me wrong, new product is welcome but it think that a lot of potential Lincoln buyers just gave up waiting

and now, the sales of Lincoln's utilities are OK but not overly fantastic  because they pulled their punches a bit with

styling instead of letting the designers off the chain. I think they're still pitching to an older buyer demographic......

Edited by jpd80

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

While Ford gave Lincoln a full line up of utilities, it was like pulling teeth how painfully slow the whole show was,

and they insisted on the Continental first when the dealer council was pleading for a three-row SUV for years.

Don't get me wrong, new product is welcome but it think that a lot of potential Lincoln buyers just gave up waiting

and now, the sales of Lincoln's utilities are OK but not overly fantastic  because they pulled their punches a bit with

styling instead of letting the designers off the chain. I think they're still pitching to an older buyer demographic......

They didn’t pull any punches at all on Aviator and Corsair, nor do I expect them to on future Lincolns.  It all started with the Hackett directive to own the segment including funding to actually do it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akirby said:

They didn’t pull any punches at all on Aviator and Corsair, nor do I expect them to on future Lincolns.  It all started with the Hackett directive to own the segment including funding to actually do it.

Aviator and Corsair were pretty much at design lock-in by the time Hackett became CEO,

they were basically follow on styling from the Navigator.

I think the "own the segment" vehicles apply to the vehicles he had more influence over

Like Mustang Mach E, Bronco and near future vehicles.

2 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Aviator and Corsair were pretty much at design lock-in by the time Hackett became CEO,

I don't mean just styling, I mean attention to detail, materials, performance, electrification, etc.

And Aviator was on the shelf when Hackett took over thanks to Fields.   If not for Hackett we'd still have the old D3 Explorer and no Aviator.

34 minutes ago, akirby said:

I don't mean just styling, I mean attention to detail, materials, performance, electrification, etc.

And Aviator was on the shelf when Hackett took over thanks to Fields.   If not for Hackett we'd still have the old D3 Explorer and no Aviator.

Contrary to popular belief, it takes engineers four years to develop vehicles from scratch on a new platform,

CD6 Explorer/Aviator was begun in 2015 under Fields but the design lock-in was mid 2017 under Hackett,

so he did have some influence on the design early in his tenure.

One other interesting point, the aluminium Expedition/Navigator was given

the green light in the final months of Alan Mulally's tenure as CEO, you can

that Fields was behind that push as well as the the refreshes on the existing

vehicles. Until that time Mulally had shown little interest in large SUVs.

Fields often gets a bad rap for not doing more / delaying product but it was

his insistence on hybrids and PHEVs that gave us today's vehicles rather than

more BEVs, a decision that probably set him against the wishes of Bill Ford.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Contrary to popular belief, it takes engineers four years to develop vehicles from scratch on a new platform,

CD6 Explorer/Aviator was begun in 2015 under Fields but the design lock-in was mid 2017 under Hackett,

so he did have some influence on the design early in his tenure.

One other interesting point, the aluminium Expedition/Navigator was given

the green light in the final months of Alan Mulally's tenure as CEO, you can

thatFields was behind that push as well as the the refreshes on the existing

vehicles. Until that time Mukally had shown little interest in large SUVs.

CD6 development spent the end of Fields' tenure paused and "under review" ... like just about every other program.

22 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

CD6 development spent the end of Fields' tenure paused and "under review" ... like just about every other program.

Everything was under review in late 2016, Fields was told by his own people that a slow down was coming,

the tide was turning on cars and Ford's new plant under construction in Mexico was about to be cancelled.

CD6 was reviewed in late 2016, that's when the decision against future RWD sedans was made and while

Explorer/Aviator was officially under review, almost two years had already been spent developing them,

Ford was never going to cancel then but yes, but Field was fired before final lock-in.

Remember, Continental and Chinese Taurus was brand new in 2016, so their replacements were not

expected for at least four years, so it was easy to hold CD6 cars and cancel them before  starting

development.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

I don’t want to defend Fields, he was dreadful and needed to go but at least he was able to give  Hackett a ton of cash reserve to work with. I do think he strangled cars a bit early and caused a bigger gap in new product deliveries.

Edited by jpd80

On 8/4/2020 at 5:48 PM, rmc523 said:

I was talking about the origins of the Mach E were essentially it being a next-gen C-Max (not sure if you've seen the original plan/sketches for Mach E before it became a "Mustang"), not criticising the C-Max we got......though its homely styling, and the dramatic mileage reductions sealed its fate, IMO)....that's why we saw Hackett push for something more stylish.

while I agree with the homely styling we have over 90K and have averaged over 48 MPG since new and we also appreciated the $1200 we got back from F but as I said our mileage is better than advertised..

We do drive like a hybrid and not like the '84 Turbo Coupe or the '87 5.0 GT or the SHO that I LOVED to go fast in. hahahahah

• Like 1