Ranger Shift Issue

So what ever happened to the Tech "help" forum?  Having said  that, my 04 4.0 Ranger is about to turn the clock at 100,000.  It has had a history of failing to upshift-would run up to like 3000 RPM.  In the past I would pull over, shut off, restart, end of problem.  Lately it has been doing it with increased frequency.  Sat. after I changed oil I cleaned the MAP sensor.  Took it to my pals shop today and they ran codes and nothing came up.  Trans fluid is original but no odor, color is good and level good.

Any opinions?

On 8/4/2020 at 12:35 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

So what ever happened to the Tech "help" forum?  Having said  that, my 04 4.0 Ranger is about to turn the clock at 100,000.  It has had a history of failing to upshift-would run up to like 3000 RPM.  In the past I would pull over, shut off, restart, end of problem.  Lately it has been doing it with increased frequency.  Sat. after I changed oil I cleaned the MAP sensor.  Took it to my pals shop today and they ran codes and nothing came up.  Trans fluid is original but no odor, color is good and level good.

Any opinions?

Well I  still have a question.  

What became of the Tech Forum?

As for my Ranger, like I said, ,..."no codes".  So with 250 miles or so to go and the clock turns 100,000, I had them change the transfluid and filter-it was the original.  Stay tuned.

Cold? With age and mileage, it is fairly common to develop vacuum leaks that are worst during warm-up. Check the intake gaskets, PCV inlet o-ring, PCV system or o-ring around the EGR nozzle in the intake.   

You mean you cleaned the MAF, right? 04 shouldn't have a MAP.  

Does the commanded gear (read with a scan tool) match the attained gear? What are the long and short fuel trims doing while it is occuring? Do you have a physical aftermarket performance chip in the J connector in the back of the PCM? What is the fuel pressure doing at the time it is occuring? 

• 1 month later...

Update.  As noted, new trans fluid-old look red, clear and bright, no odor.  Changed fuel filter.  Still doing it. now instead of stopping and "rebooting", I simply pull into D2 and it takes off, no issue.  

So again, what it frequently does is  on take off, will not upshift-I think maybe it grabs 2nd but that's it.  RPM's hit 3000 and then I'm assuming rev limiter kicks in and engine breaks up, no acceleration.  Trans does  not give any codes.

Assume there is a sensor someplace that is not reading RPM's???

Valve body/Solenoid pack -fully serviceable from pan removal.  Do-it-yourselfer can actually perform this repair,  or find an independent who has done it many times.

https://www.amazon.com/5R55W-5R55S-Valve-Updated-Solenoid/dp/B076NVTM4P

I've owned a few 5R55 transmissions, and never had to replace any - They re 'notorious' for customers being told - "...you need a new transmission..."

Here is how to keep a 5R55 running a long time:

1. .  Don't get a new transmission!  Find a good independent who has experience with the few serviceable areas of the 5R55 that are prone to failure.

2.  Get the Mercon V out and use Amsoil fully synthetic transmission fluid.  Amsoil website will provide proper product based on your vehicle.  Change every 50,000 or so.  I like to add Lubeguard RED as extra protection since fluid break down is the achilles heel of the 5R55.  Well worth the cost!

3.  Talk to independent about replacing Valve Body/Solenoid Pack, filter and complete drain and re-fill.  This can be done with simple pan removal.  This service is not that expensive and the re-manufactured parts are easily available.

4.  The other weakness is a servo Pin that wears a groove in the aluminum housing bore of the transmission - this is fully repairable with a commonly available kit.  Can be repaired If the independent mechanic is familiar enough with the model and willing to pull to unit down to make the repair. Much less expensive than new transmission.

On 9/22/2020 at 7:49 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Update.  As noted, new trans fluid-old look red, clear and bright, no odor.  Changed fuel filter.  Still doing it. now instead of stopping and "rebooting", I simply pull into D2 and it takes off, no issue.  

So again, what it frequently does is  on take off, will not upshift-I think maybe it grabs 2nd but that's it.  RPM's hit 3000 and then I'm assuming rev limiter kicks in and engine breaks up, no acceleration.  Trans does  not give any codes.

Assume there is a sensor someplace that is not reading RPM's???

Sticky solenoid(s) - easy repair if that is indeed the issue. 

• 1 month later...

Update.  Took the Bronco's RAN trans and Dana20 transfer case to a trans shop in Conn last week for hopefully no more than a new seal job on both.  I was told when it comes to EB's this guy is tops-but it is a full fledged transmission shop.  While there I said to owner how about taking my Ranger for a ride?  After he grabbed the scanner and checked it, as my friend had previously found...."no codes".. Predictably it did not act up during drive but he quickly said the minute he put it in "drive"..."Your trans shifter module is shot..where the cable connects to it at trans, there is a plastic bushing that fails-yours is about there-might NOT be problem but I would not rule it out."  So ordered one from my dealer -90 bucks and after I ran truck up on ramps figured I did not like the look of the connection and figured I'd let my pal's shop  do it-so yesterday, half hour job on lift.

Case closed.  Works as it should.  I'd post part no. but invoice is in truck  and I'm too lazy at this  hour to go down to barn.  If anyone is interested let me know.

• Like 5