2021 Explorer prices to be lowered.

The price cut is an indication that Ford is taking Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride seriously. Those two are cheaper and yet have much higher quality interior compare to Explorer. I think offering off road package is smart... juice up the price and Hyundai and Kia brand do not have the credibility to follow. It's playing to Ford's strength. Look at it this way... price cut is defense, adding FX4 is offense. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bzcat said:

The price cut is an indication that Ford is taking Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride seriously. Those two are cheaper and yet have much higher quality interior compare to Explorer. I think offering off road package is smart... juice up the price and Hyundai and Kia brand do not have the credibility to follow. It's playing to Ford's strength. Look at it this way... price cut is defense, adding FX4 is offense. 

While Palisade and Telluride may have something to do with the reductions, every trim except base

is still much higher priced than the Korean twins, perhaps this is a result of feedback from first year buyers?

I like what you're thinking with FX4, perfect outcrop model for Explorer and something Ford can really push.

• Like 1

Just as I said last year, I think they purposely started high to test the market and are now making small adjustments even if it’s just optional vs std equipment.  Same for the interior.  

They’re not going to go head to head with the Koreans on price because they don’t have to.  They already own the segment.  It would be like dropping F150 prices to compete with Nissan and a Toyota.

I cannot believe they would purposely start high and see what the market will bear. This is one of the first times, i've ever seen Ford back off pricing this large. I just think they overplayed their hand and now re-positioning their vehicles to be more realistic in the market and lower their discounts. 

I agree, they don't need or want to go head to head with the Koreans-but they don't own this segment by any other indicator besides sales from the past 15 years. Nobody owns this segment like the old days-way to many competitors in the midsize SUV market. 

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

Just as I said last year, I think they purposely started high to test the market and are now making small adjustments even if it’s just optional vs std equipment.  Same for the interior.  

They’re not going to go head to head with the Koreans on price because they don’t have to.  They already own the segment.  It would be like dropping F150 prices to compete with Nissan and a Toyota.

Yes and no. Ford has a strong presence in this segment thanks to the name equity built up by the Explorer. But the Palisade and Telluride are stronger efforts than the Titan and Tundra. There is also less brand loyalty in this segment than there is among full-size pickup customers. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kyle said:

I cannot believe they would purposely start high and see what the market will bear. This is one of the first times, i've ever seen Ford back off pricing this large. I just think they overplayed their hand and now re-positioning their vehicles to be more realistic in the market and lower their discounts. 

How is that different from starting high to see what the market will bear and adjusting?

18 minutes ago, kyle said:

I agree, they don't need or want to go head to head with the Koreans-but they don't own this segment by any other indicator besides sales from the past 15 years. Nobody owns this segment like the old days-way to many competitors in the midsize SUV market. 

Own as in they are the clear market leader.

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

Own as in they are the clear market leader.

I don't see that data to support they are the clear market leader-not sure what you are seeing?  And again, i've never seen Ford or really anyone in the industry push out pricing and then drop it signficantly because they are testing the market-why would they do this-even as you said, they own it? If they owned it-they certainly would not have to test the market. They overpriced the vehicle and are now adjusting it to better match current competitors and to ensure they continue to stay a major player in one of the largest segments and most profitable. 

image.thumb.png.71f9bd6ab818648b36294973ddeb912f.png

5 minutes ago, kyle said:

I don't see that data to support they are the clear market leader-not sure what you are seeing?  And again, i've never seen Ford or really anyone in the industry push out pricing and then drop it signficantly because they are testing the market-why would they do this-even as you said, they own it? If they owned it-they certainly would not have to test the market. They overpriced the vehicle and are now adjusting it to better match current competitors and to ensure they continue to stay a major player in one of the largest segments and most profitable. 

image.thumb.png.71f9bd6ab818648b36294973ddeb912f.png

Apples and oranges.   Most of those are 2 rows.   Look at what I posted above for the 3 row utilities.

6 minutes ago, kyle said:

They overpriced the vehicle and are now adjusting it to better match current competitors and to ensure they continue to stay a major player in one of the largest segments and most profitable.

That's EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.  They priced it high and now they're adjusting it.  Why are you arguing?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, kyle said:

they fucked up and missed the mark and are playing defense now. 

Yes sir kyle, you are correct. The good news is that Ford is acting upon feedback from customers, dealers, and professional reviewers about 2020 Explorer.

In the 2020 SUV of the Year competition, Motor Trend said "Our advice to Ford: Step up your quality game or lower your prices." For 2021 Explorer, Ford did both!

Edited by rperez817

6 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir kyle, you are correct. The good news is that Ford is acting upon feedback from customers, dealers, and professional reviewers about 2020 Explorer.

In the 2020 SUV of the Year competition, Motor Trend said "Our advice to Ford: Step up your quality game or lower your prices." For 2021 Explorer, Ford did both!

You are absolutely correct and to Akirby's point-the fact that they adjusted the price is the bigger statement and shows that they are willing to retreat where they've made mistakes. Good to see this happen and hopefully this continues to be the trend and maybe even act faster on a course correction. Not a Tesla fan but sure do respect how quick they are to react to changing market conditions. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kyle said:

I am not arguing! You are saying they were testing the market-I call BS on that-they fucked up and missed the mark and are playing defense now. 

Hard to say they F'ed up when sales were up 12% during a pandemic where everything else was down double digits and they had their best retail sales quarter ever.  

But in the end it's just semantics.  They set prices higher than expected and are now lowering base prices.

But let me ask you this - if they had sold 75K per quarter do you think they would be reducing base prices today?   I seriously doubt it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

But in the end it's just semantics.  They set prices higher than expected and are now lowering base prices.

But let me ask you this - if they had sold 75K per quarter do you think they would be reducing base prices today?   I seriously doubt it.

Totally agree....Hell no they would not be reducing them but you would be seeing just the opposite-slow incremental price increases. I also think you will see others react or minimize their price increases-especially Toyota and maybe even GM. GM needs to add standard safety equipment and have been hesitant to do so-same with Jeep but I'm sure they will address that with their updated Grand Cherokee's/Wagoneers. 

There are some here that can't help but fawn over Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade. How the Explorer is so far inferior to them. Yet look at those Q2 sales numbers. Combining both Koreans and the Explorer still handily outsells them. How could this happen?  The reviewers from Motor Trend and Car and Driver said the Explorer was garbage.

Can we all agree the Explorer was overall a well designed/engineered vehicle that was priced a little higher than expected and plagued with a terrible launch? Seems like people are liking what they offer. This narrative that the Explorer is a poor vehicle in it's class has been overblown

• Like 7

Well at least they lowered the price after de-contenting it a bit. (8 way power seats vs 10 way, removed 4 way head restraints paddle shifters and cargo management w/Trailer tow) Second row head restraint flip, moonroof on Platinum.  Only thing with these I could see people having issues with is the power passenger seat, that would actually force 2 family members away from the Explorer; (Both have them now) they have bad backs and couldn't tilt the seat to eliminate the pressure. They also went from 10 to 8 on the Super-duty so it might be across the board for 2021MY. Surprised the Explorer kept the color changing ambient lighting. Bronco Sport, F-150, Super duty, Escape all went to the ice blue with no ability to change color.