Roof leaking, water in headliner above driver side passenger

WIgolfer

Saw a similar post from last year but thought I'd share my recent experience.  Just bought my 2020 Aviator 3 weeks ago and like it so far but:  The other night we hit some heavy rain on the highway and my son (sitting in second row behind driver) complained that his seatbelt was wet.  He had inadvertently opened his window for a second so I assumed that this is how it got wet, but it did seem strange.  Today I got it washed and noticed that there was water in the headliner and water drips around the top of the seatbelt so there's definitely an issue with a leaky seal somewhere.  Service isn't open on Saturday at my dealer but I'm going to bring it in next week and see what they can do.  Pretty disappointing to say the least.

2 hours ago, WIgolfer said:

Saw a similar post from last year but thought I'd share my recent experience.  Just bought my 2020 Aviator 3 weeks ago and like it so far but:  The other night we hit some heavy rain on the highway and my son (sitting in second row behind driver) complained that his seatbelt was wet.  He had inadvertently opened his window for a second so I assumed that this is how it got wet, but it did seem strange.  Today I got it washed and noticed that there was water in the headliner and water drips around the top of the seatbelt so there's definitely an issue with a leaky seal somewhere.  Service isn't open on Saturday at my dealer but I'm going to bring it in next week and see what they can do.  Pretty disappointing to say the least.

Wow - good luck and let us know what is determined.

The Aviator assembly plant had massive quality and assembly problems - it sounds as though they still don’t have their act together.  Did you buy the vehicles new?  What is the build date?

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard from the dealer today, there are drains for the moonroof on both sides of the vehicle and one of them (driver side) was never connected at the factory.  As a result, water drained into the headliner.

Dealer is going to simply connect the drain to the tube, but the more complicated piece will be replacing my headliner because it shows a bit of water staining on it now.

38 minutes ago, WIgolfer said:

Just heard from the dealer today, there are drains for the moonroof on both sides of the vehicle and one of them (driver side) was never connected at the factory.  As a result, water drained into the headliner.

Dealer is going to simply connect the drain to the tube, but the more complicated piece will be replacing my headliner because it shows a bit of water staining on it now.

Not surprised. I've heard this too many times, and not just on Ford/Lincoln vehicles. Seen/ heard it on many brands.

6 hours ago, WIgolfer said:

Good luck.  The headliners are often installed in the vehicle before the front and back glass is installed.  Your dealer may have to remove the windshield or backlight to install it.

I have often wondered if automakers “trace back” defective assembly to specific workers and take disciplinary action?  It seems as though incompetent workers (or those that perform poor work on purpose or to sabotage a vehicle) get a pass and the auto manufacturer has to pay extra (warranty) to have the problem fixed - and the customer is left dissatisfied.

• 2 weeks later...

Got vehicle back today and it appears to be fixed so yes it was simply that the moonroof drain hadn't been connected.  Took them a long time to fix but part of that was the wait on a new headliner, and also because they said there's a lot of labor/time involved in installing it.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I went through this experience last year. The cause was a pinched PVC drainage pipe in the rear left pillar. Isn’t that amazing how poor the quality control? When I went to the service department and saw how they tore the insides of my vehicle apart, including the headliner, I told them I didn’t want the vehicle back. The Lincoln concierge service obliged and let us exchange for a new vehicle- unfortunately, that was also a lemon for other reasons! They ended up giving us all our money back and we walked. Good luck with your vehicle- I’m not sure they could ever make the headliner like it was when it first came from the factory?

Dealer did a great job, did take a while though between waiting on the headliner to come in and then the installation.  I saw one dirt smudge on the new one but other than that seems perfect, and I use my car all the time hauling stuff so it’s going to get a little wear and tear no matter what.  Love the vehicle so far, not as glitch free as my Acura MDX was but then again this vehicle is first model year and it has a lot more character/style than the MDX in my opinion 

I'll be getting my Aviator back tomorrow that was in for water leaks also.  2nd row carpet was a bit wet and there was almost 2 inches of water in the spare tire well.   There was a TSB for the rear leak which was addressed, and it took them a while to find the front leak which they told me at first was weather stripping.  They say now it is fixed and it seems to be the drain lines.  I'll know more tomorrow when they deliver the vehicle to me.  Mine was a July 20 build.  How is it they are still having these issues?

When I wanted the Aviator back when they said they were waiting on weather stripping I told them I needed to pick it up as I was headed on a trip and was not supposed to put that many miles on the loaner (supplied by Enterprise).  Told me my trip would be OK, and besides my vehicle interior was all apart.  I assume that included the headliner.  Not to worried about them returning it to normal.  My other car is a Mercedes and last year had to have the headliner replaced under warranty because it was sagging.  Looks perfect.

Edited by Kartergreg