Doing some updates to my '75

blksn8k2

I also just picked up a set of General Grabber X3 tires in size LT295/70R17. As you can see they are nearly the same overall size as the old Wild Country 35x12.50/15's on the Bronco now which is interesting since the 295's are listed as 33.3" in diameter and that's pretty darn close to the actual measurement of the old so called 35's. I'm doing this for a couple of reasons. First is the safety aspect. The tires that are on it now are at least 18 years old as they were on the truck when I bought it in 2003. While they show no signs of checking or dry rotting I still don't trust them.

My other goal here is to get the tires inside the fender flares, especially on the front. While it may look cool the tires throw all kinds of crap up the side of the truck plus it is not exactly legal in PA for them to be outside the body. However, there is a limit to how much more back spacing I can get away with since the tires will rub the radius arms and limit the turning radius if I go too far. The other thing is that the inside edges of the current 15x10" wheels are almost touching the tie rod ends which means that even if I had a different set of 15" wheels with more back spacing they would not fit due to interference with the tie rod ends and the 17" wheels should also solve that problem.

IMG_5633.thumb.jpg.bb0329934248e069bedc1c633e245446.jpg

IMG_5635.thumb.jpg.9f288b2f8ddce53822430db13596fede.jpg

IMG_4598.thumb.JPG.ecd6da11560759319706db36bad67309.JPG

I'm still trying to decide on which 17" wheel I prefer. So far I've looked at the Pro Comp 69 Series Vintage in 17x9 and the T-Series 17x 8.5 wheel from 4 Wheel Parts. I like both styles. The Pro Comp is obviously more period correct but the 4WP has the bronze center which would go well with the color of the soft top. Both wheels have the same 4.75" back spacing.

Pro Comp 69 Series Vintage

1069-7985-01.jpg

4WP T-Series

4 Wheel Parts Factory T-Series Wheel, 17x8.5 with 5 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern - Bronze / Black - 9514-7858547

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I added a set of billet aluminum spacers on the rear. I didn't like how much the rear tires were tucked in compared to the front. Now they are much closer to the same.

Also, this is going to sound crazy but if you notice in the side profile photo of my Bronco in my last post the rear wheel on the driver side is missing the small 4WP decal from the simulated bead lock on the outer rim. I called 4 Wheel Parts to try and get a replacement decal for that wheel. They had no idea how to do that so they transferred me to a gentleman named Alex at Pro Comp who actually manufactures the wheels for 4WP. Alex checked and could not find a way to get just the decal either so he is sending me a complete replacement wheel! He said I could keep the other one and use it for a spare. Wow! Talk about customer service!

IMG_5722.jpg

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

I added a set of billet aluminum spacers on the rear. I didn't like how much the rear tires were tucked in compared to the front. Now they are much closer to the same.

Also, this is going to sound crazy but if you notice in the side profile photo of my Bronco in my last post the rear wheel on the driver side is missing the small 4WP decal from the simulated bead lock on the outer rim. I called 4 Wheel Parts to try and get a replacement decal for that wheel. They had no idea how to do that so they transferred me to a gentleman named Alex at Pro Comp who actually manufactures the wheels for 4WP. Alex checked and could not find a way to get just the decal either so he is sending me a complete replacement wheel! He said I could keep the other one and use it for a spare. Wow! Talk about customer service!

IMG_5722.jpg

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

I like your wheel color choice.  It definitely ties everything together.  

• 1 month later...

It took a lot longer than I expected but I finally got the replacement wheel. Pro Comp cancelled the invoice that Alex had made for a new wheel after he left the company but never informed me about any of that. After I contacted them asking what happened they tried again to send just the decal but eventually sent a wheel anyway which I received a few days ago. I removed the decal from the new wheel and glued it onto the other wheel that already had a tire mounted.

I fully appreciate getting a free wheel but it made absolutely no sense to swap the tire from one wheel to the other or buy another $300 tire over a 10¢ decal. I've got plenty of other wheels and tires to use as a spare. If I ever decide to mount the spare on the back I will definitely buy another matching tire.

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2022 at 8:55 PM, Diydner said:

Looking good. Might as well get an eruption green 6g bronco to go with it. LOL

Had Ford gone through with the Bronco pickup idea I may have done that. If I were crazy enough to trade my less than 30k mile F-150, at this point the next best option might be the upcoming next gen Ranger Raptor, and that's assuming we will actually be allowed to buy such a thing here in the US. With Ford releasing info on the 2022 Bronco Raptor this morning I am hopeful that the Ranger Raptor gets a little of the same equipment. At least the same 3.0L EB/10-speed auto drivetrain.