am radio static

2 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

We use the radio.  When we had the free trials of SiriusXM I would listen to it on road trips, but prefer to listen to the morning program on the local FM rock station for the morning drive.  I just got tired of dealing with SiriusXM and the pricing for the amount I used it.  Now on those long road trips it would be nice, but doing the old radio scan keeps me awake trying to find something decent to listen too.

Just for grins what are your 2 favorite radio stations/programs?

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

Just for grins what are your 2 favorite radio stations/programs?

I listen to KICT T95 in Wichita, KS.  It is the oldest and only pure Rock station here.  They play pretty much everything from the 70's on, but the majority is the last 10 years.  The morning program they carry is Todd 'n Tyler based out of Omaha.  Mostly news/commentary with comedians and other celebrity interviews.  They have a mix of sports, news, comedy, and politics, but that is minimal.  Mostly the news guy reads a funny story off the wire then they spend a few minutes making fun of it.  They are both transplants to Omaha from other parts so it isn't like they are Omaha natives, but they have been there for 20 years or so.  My wife listens to KFDI which is a news/country music station.  So out of courtesy I have that as #2 in the Expedition, she keeps T95 as #2 in the MkC.  My back-up on the road is classic rock -> pop/adult contemporary -> modern country.  I only listen to sports talk radio before and after games, just to get interviews or news.  I never listen to political talk radio.

My drive to work is 20 minutes, and it only takes 30 minutes to go from one side of Wichita to the other, so it isn't like being in a big city with long drives due to traffic.

29 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

I listen to KICT T95 in Wichita, KS.  It is the oldest and only pure Rock station here.  They play pretty much everything from the 70's on, but the majority is the last 10 years.  The morning program they carry is Todd 'n Tyler based out of Omaha.  Mostly news/commentary with comedians and other celebrity interviews.  They have a mix of sports, news, comedy, and politics, but that is minimal.  Mostly the news guy reads a funny story off the wire then they spend a few minutes making fun of it.  They are both transplants to Omaha from other parts so it isn't like they are Omaha natives, but they have been there for 20 years or so.  My wife listens to KFDI which is a news/country music station.  So out of courtesy I have that as #2 in the Expedition, she keeps T95 as #2 in the MkC.  My back-up on the road is classic rock -> pop/adult contemporary -> modern country.  I only listen to sports talk radio before and after games, just to get interviews or news.  I never listen to political talk radio.

My drive to work is 20 minutes, and it only takes 30 minutes to go from one side of Wichita to the other, so it isn't like being in a big city with long drives due to traffic.

T95 has an app that offers live streaming as well as pre recorded content.  KFDI offers live streaming from their website.  There are lots of free music apps that let you customize your listening and none of these are limited by location- you can listen even on long trips.

Just throwing out options you may not know about.

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/15-worlds-best-free-online-music-streaming-platforms.html

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, jniffen said:

Just ran across an article stating the wireless smart phone chargers in autos causes interference on AM and even FM.

Is there a chance you have this and are using it when the noise starts happening?

Nope. I made certain I don't have anything plugged into my Explorer's 12-volt, 110-volt, or USB receptacles, and the rhythmic static still happened while listening to AM radio. Location doesn't matter either -- out in the open country or driving with power lines above, the static still happens. The source of the static is definitely from within the vehicle; but only when it is in motion.