Mustang S650 news!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a33621861/when-is-the-new-mustang-coming-out/

So....

2022 S650 launches as a '23MY (lasts 3 years)
2025 S650 refresh as a '26MY (lasts 5 years)
2030 S750 launches as a '31MY

For reference
2014 S550 launches as a '15MY (lasts 3 years model years)
2017 S550 refresh as an '18MY (lasts 5 years model years)

• Like 2

Couple of things.  I have read where the S650 Mustang will be significant larger since it will be built on the Explorer platform.   Bigger is not necessarily better.  If anything, the  next generation Mustang needs to lose some weight and maintain similar dimensions as the current Mustang.

The S650 Mustang will be able to support a hybrid configuration and AWD.  Forget the hybrid;  just waste of money.  Besides, Ford already has the Mustang Mach E that is all electric, AWD (option), 4 door, SUV.   The next Mustang coupe and convertible should remain 2 door , RWD, and  Internal Combustion Engine only.

So, potential line up for the S650 Mustang: 

Mustang Ecoboost  - 2.3 Ecoboost

Mustang V6 (bring back the V6) - 2.7 Ecoboost

Mustang GT - 5.0 V8

S650 is not based on Explorer platform. All the CD6 cars were cancelled so Mustang will continue on its own unique platform. But it will share a lot of components with CD6 to save costs.

Hybrid seems like a must if Ford wants Mustang to still be relevant. By 2026, there likely won't be any new non-hybrid cars for sale except for really cheap entry level rental spec cars. I expect the base model Mustang will be 2.3 EB but the bulk of the sales will probably be hybrid of some sort. 5.0 V8 is likely to remain but pretty sure it will be hybrid only. That's the only way to meet CO2 targets after 2025. 

• Like 5

OK, the article says that the new 'stang is "rumored" to on be CD6, but that it is not confirmed. But posters here state in no uncertain terms that there won't be any CD6 cars. Some are lower level Ford employees with contacts, but the R&T folks are professional reporters with contacts, too...so I'm not sure whom to believe.  Anecdotal evidence supports the R&T folks; otherwise, there would only be two crossovers on CD6, would be hard to ultimately make that platform profitable.  And there's the matter of FRAP: can't really make it profitable with only Mustang, can't really close it because there's nowhere else for Mustang to go.

1 hour ago, probowler said:

Better not get too big or they'll lose their size/weight advantage against Dodge.  I think a lot of people are expecting the next Challenger to try and lose some weight.

But that's part of the appeal of the Challenger, IMO. It's more of a latter-day RWD T-bird or Monte Carlo than it is a true Mustang or Camaro rival.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, AGR said:

But that's part of the appeal of the Challenger, IMO. It's more of a latter-day RWD T-bird or Monte Carlo than it is a true Mustang or Camaro rival.

Very true, it just depends on individual preference. The Mustang and challenger both serve their niches very well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AGR said:

OK, the article says that the new 'stang is "rumored" to on be CD6, but that it is not confirmed. But posters here state in no uncertain terms that there won't be any CD6 cars. Some are lower level Ford employees with contacts, but the R&T folks are professional reporters with contacts, too...so I'm not sure whom to believe.  Anecdotal evidence supports the R&T folks; otherwise, there would only be two crossovers on CD6, would be hard to ultimately make that platform profitable.  And there's the matter of FRAP: can't really make it profitable with only Mustang, can't really close it because there's nowhere else for Mustang to go.

I think Ford will make a Mustang sedan on CD6 architecture. The automamer is ready to create a Mustang brand with Mustang family crossovers, coupes and sedan. Ford did Wheel when projected an opportunity to sell supercars with GT. Now, Ford needs to sell an RS7 competitor inside Mustang family and brand

• Like 1

ExplorerDude posted this back in April (in another S650 thread) and I think this makes sense. I've not seen "D5" mentioned in any other online articles that I can find, so that's some pretty specific information.

"From what I’ve gathered and seen, yes the S650 will be launching for the 2023MY and it’s expected to use the same platform (D2C) which is now called D5. This was done for substantial cost savings. As it is the program is still pretty expensive.

But it’s expected to use many CD6 components. Again, apparently using all the CD6 components would’ve made it too big and too heavy. The S650 is basically a new top hat on the same platform with more CD6 components used.

I’ve seen a sketch, and it’s not that far off from this article’s illustration. I will say the roofline drops 1 inch to make it even more swept back. It will be gorgeous I can assure you"

• Like 1

It's not really 100% CD6. Like I said earlier this will be the first example of how modular these new architectures really are. 

I haven't seen anything about it in terms of anything physical but I have heard a few rumors. All I will say so I don't get myself into trouble is I like what I'm hearing so far. It's going to be the most badass Mustang yet for sure. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's not really 100% CD6. Like I said earlier this will be the first example of how modular these new architectures really are. 

I haven't seen anything about it in terms of anything physical but I have heard a few rumors. All I will say so I don't get myself into trouble is I like what I'm hearing so far. It's going to be the most badass Mustang yet for sure. 

Although I love getting insider info, I respect that you take your position as a Ford employee seriously.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Absolutely.

Most will understand Ford's desire to have a nice new Mustang but to save as much money as possible,

using already developed CD6 modules instead of reinventing the wheel allows them to achieve both goals.

The key here is adding in new modules but keeping much of the car's existing DNA.

It's funny to watch the mental gymnastics of reporters and posters trying to mesh  the concept of CD6 and Mustang.

it's not as hard as some think because Mustang must retain a lot of its unique body requirements and by extension,

any of the mechanical parts that are purpose designed. Platforms and engineering modules only exist to save money

and resources developing parts that already exist, no better examples of this exists than the last two Camaros,

GM had do much tear up and redo of Zeta and alpha, the uniqueness of the coupe design is why Ford chose to do

S550 as its own platform free from impediments from other vehicle designs. Evolving the existing design by including

CD6 modules gives Ford the freedom of design while avoiding lots of unnecessary development steps.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Evolving the existing design by including CD6 modules gives Ford the freedom of design while avoiding lots of unnecessary development steps.

I think too many people are equating sheet metal shared (well unseen bits under the skin) as platform sharing, when in actuality the Mustang will be using suspension parts, dash modules, wiring harnesses, and other things from CD6 instead and the sheet metal is bespoke to a coupe design of the Mustang. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I think too many people are equating sheet metal shared (well unseen bits under the skin) as platform sharing, when in actuality the Mustang will be using suspension parts, dash modules, wiring harnesses, and other things from CD6 instead and the sheet metal is bespoke to a coupe design of the Mustang. 

Absolutely and in a way, this is how Ford Australia kept the Falcon going for decades on what was a unique platform, they borrowed from Ford’s parts bin and global suppliers to get a unique vehicle that remarkably worked well for so long even on reducing numbers, it can be done when manufacturers think outside of the box

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Platforms and engineering modules only exist to save money

and resources developing parts that already exist, no better examples of this exists than the last two Camaros,

GM had do much tear up and redo of Zeta and alpha, the uniqueness of the coupe design is why Ford chose to do

S550 as its own platform free from impediments from other vehicle designs. Evolving the existing design by including

CD6 modules gives Ford the freedom of design while avoiding lots of unnecessary development steps.

Ford learned that lesson when they tried to base the Mustang on the DEW-98 platform. Fortunately,  Hau Thai Tang figured out it was a bad idea before they got locked into a mistake of GM proportions...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

Ford learned that lesson when they tried to base the Mustang on the DEW-98 platform. Fortunately,  Hau Thai Tang figured out it was a bad idea before they got locked into a mistake of GM proportions...

It was part of a top down initiative from Ford management to make all the large vehicle programs adopt DEW.

Lincoln was really the only takers and even then JLR lobbied fiercely to stop the use by other divisions.

4 hours ago, JTL2017 said:

Aren’t there rumors of a sedan variant mustang? 

That all came from a release mentioning Mustang and its derivatives, people mistook that to mean more than it is.

In Ford speak, a derivative shares at least 50% of all parts with originator, so covers convertible, Shelbys ect.