Trade offers

Bigguy2

On an ordered truck, I'm looking for a concrete $$ for my trade even though it will be 8 weeks, give or take, until it comes in. I fully understand the expectations - no further dents, tears, wears and a mileage not to exceed limit. I'm willing to sign off on all of that. A few dealerships want to leave the value open and then make the offer when the new ride comes in. My stance is I can't make a deal when I don't know what the deal is. They keep telling me the market changes. It's what they do for a living - it's predictable in my mind.

Any others experience this and if so, how did you handle it?

Thanks

On 8/18/2020 at 7:10 PM, Bigguy2 said:

On an ordered truck, I'm looking for a concrete $$ for my trade even though it will be 8 weeks, give or take, until it comes in. I fully understand the expectations - no further dents, tears, wears and a mileage not to exceed limit. I'm willing to sign off on all of that. A few dealerships want to leave the value open and then make the offer when the new ride comes in. My stance is I can't make a deal when I don't know what the deal is. They keep telling me the market changes. It's what they do for a living - it's predictable in my mind.

Thanks

Hi Bigguy. They can give you a concrete deal, but are hoping to have you over a barrel when your new vehicle come in.

The "market" does not change that quickly. They will most likely low ball you anyway, but by holding you off, they can assume you will not sell on your own privately, (which is almost always the best way, since you have 8 weeks to do it), and they can low ball you knowing you will likely need to accept their offer to get your new vehicle.

Work up the vehicle Trade-in and Private Party sale values value on sites like KBB.com, NADA.com, Edmunds.com etc. Then have the Dealers give you a concrete offer as to what your used vehicle is worth today. Now you at least have a baseline, since you know they won't give you more than that in 8 weeks. Then see if you can sell your vehicle privately in the 8 weeks you have, for more than that plus the sales tax hit etc.. I have always been able to sell my used vehicles privately while waiting for my  new one to come in. And for far more than the Dealer trade-in offers, even including the sales tax break.

I would also think about not doing business with any Dealership that will not give you a concrete offer on your used vehicle (excepting no further wear and tear, damage etc). There is no reason they can not.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 7:10 PM, Bigguy2 said:

Thanks

Another option would be to park the truck at their lot and let it sit for 2 months....if you afford to let your truck sit.