F150 getting a multi-function tailgate?

https://www.motor1.com/news/439697/ford-f150-getting-multi-function-tailgate/

Apparently the company is testing a few different prototypes, but one of the leading options is reportedly a sliding "barn door–like" opening with three vertical sections that you can open individually or drop down all at once.”

This sounds like it could be interesting.

As long as its an option for the person who has to have the latest gadget.   IMO a more practical and minimal cost move would be the cut outs in the bumper corners for  a step-like GM has had for how many years now?

Can you imagine what it costs the GM owner with the multi function tailgate who forgot gate was down and backed into something?

As always, IMO the "KISS" formula applies.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

As long as its an option for the person who has to have the latest gadget.   IMO a more practical and minimal cost move would be the cut outs in the bumper corners for  a step-like GM has had for how many years now?

Can you imagine what it costs the GM owner with the multi function tailgate who forgot gate was down and backed into something?

As always, IMO the "KISS" formula applies.

While I agree with the KISS  concept, I do not like those steps in the side of the GM bumpers. They are at the same level as the bumper  so you don’t get much drop.  I feel like the tailgate step Ford has had for a long time is a pretty simple solution that works.  With that said, I do kind of like GMs mid step at the front of the bed. I think it looks pretty good, but would be even better if they could reduce some of the black plastic involved in it.  

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. 

17 minutes ago, tbone said:

While I agree with the KISS  concept, I do not like those steps in the side of the GM bumpers. They are at the same level as the bumper  so you don’t get much drop.  I feel like the tailgate step Ford has had for a long time is a pretty simple solution that works.  With that said, I do kind of like GMs mid step at the front of the bed. I think it looks pretty good, but would be even better if they could reduce some of the black plastic involved in it.  

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. 

I agree.  Bumper is too high for me.  I added an amp research drop down step for my F-150 because it didn’t come with the built in step and it wasn’t worth the cost to buy a new tailgate. 

27 minutes ago, akirby said:

I agree.  Bumper is too high for me.  I added an amp research drop down step for my F-150 because it didn’t come with the built in step and it wasn’t worth the cost to buy a new tailgate. 

tailgates are surprisingly expensive, so I understand.  

1 hour ago, tbone said:

tailgates are surprisingly expensive, so I understand.  

6 months after I got it I was rear ended by a Mini Cooper (I won).  The bumper was replaced and there was a small dent in the tailgate.  I tried to convince the body shop that it needed to be replaced so I could pay the difference to upgrade to the step, but the geico adjuster was standing right there so they repaired it instead.

17 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I like ford’s current set up, I can’t imagine paying for any of the other functionality that the gm tailgate provides. I would pay a bit more extra though for a ridgeline type tailgate though. 

I was talking with a guy who has a RAM with the new 60/40 split tailgate, he mentioned that is very convenient to use when you want to get in close.

HRG

43 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I like ford’s current set up, I can’t imagine paying for any of the other functionality that the gm tailgate provides. I would pay a bit more extra though for a ridgeline type tailgate though. 

I concur on the Ridgline setup. I think that would be the only way to make the Ford tailgate better.  I do not want to lose the tailgate step, as I use it regularly.    

5 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I was talking with a guy who has a RAM with the new 60/40 split tailgate, he mentioned that is very convenient to use when you want to get in close.

HRG

hmnn-at my age, that I can understand.  Saves you the Trouble of dragging whatever on to gate.  But all things considered IMO just more hardware To  ulTimately have a problem

13 hours ago, tbone said:

With that said, I do kind of like GMs mid step at the front of the bed. I think it looks pretty good, but would be even better if they could reduce some of the black plastic involved in it.  

I don't know if they still do, but Ford used to offer a retractable step near the front of the bed. I thought about adding them to my truck, but they don't actually solve the only issue I have up there--reaching the tie-down points. I have a toolbox in the bed, so even with my long wingspan, I can't reach the tie-downs unless I get in the bed (which is kind of hard to do if you have a 1,000lb round bale back there).

5 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

I don't know if they still do, but Ford used to offer a retractable step near the front of the bed. I thought about adding them to my truck, but they don't actually solve the only issue I have up there--reaching the tie-down points. I have a toolbox in the bed, so even with my long wingspan, I can't reach the tie-downs unless I get in the bed (which is kind of hard to do if you have a 1,000lb round bale back there).

I think the higher trim levels have it.

For the 2021 model, “extended running boards” may replace the side step option. 

https://www.torquenews.com/9539/five-best-features-2021-ford-f-150

Extended running boards:

Look closely at the exterior of the 2021 Ford F-150 and you can see extended running boards that go up further than the previous generation. The available full-length extended power running boards with kick switch provide better truck-side cargo box accessibility.”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

You can only get the retractable steps on the 6.5' and larger beds.....they are nice.

I do like the idea of longer running boards too.

9 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

I solved that with bed rails, but I'm not sure they're sturdy enough to tie down a 1000 lb hay bale.

If I had the choice at ordering, I'd still prefer the standard tailgate like Ford has now.  I do want the step system as is also.  The bumper method like Chevy is just too high for me.  I have an 2003 Screw Ford.  With my bad back, it's hard to climb into the back of the bad as is.  The drop step would be huge for me.

The GMC version seems just too bulky to me.  Even with the spring assists.  That and I doubt I'd ever use those functions.  The stuff I carry, if it won't fit in the bed, the fancy tailgate won't help.  I'd need a trailer anyways.

4 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

For the 2021 model, “extended running boards” may replace the side step option. 

https://www.torquenews.com/9539/five-best-features-2021-ford-f-150

Extended running boards:

Look closely at the exterior of the 2021 Ford F-150 and you can see extended running boards that go up further than the previous generation. The available full-length extended power running boards with kick switch provide better truck-side cargo box accessibility.”

Yeah, this seemed like a no-brainer solution that should've been done a long time ago.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

I think they still have those.  I never really cared for those because they were visible. I know GMs are visible but they are integrated pretty well.  If they could come up with a way to rotate up out of sight I would definitely consider them.