Edge/Nautilus production ending?

On 8/20/2020 at 2:25 PM, akirby said:

The problem is they're having to put too much cash on the hood of the regular models - probably because there weren't enough updates for 2019.

What's weird is that it looks like more was planned, even if you look at the 2020 owners manual it makes reference to power folding mirrors, 360 camera, and the IC in the drawings has a large digital section in the center in some of the sections. The Edge really is one of the best vehicle in that segment still, only glairing issue now are the outside mirrors are small, center stack needs a design tweak and material change, and stop every dealer from only ordering ones with the Ebony interior, the Ceramic interior is beautiful and changes/opens the whole cabin.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

What's weird is that it looks like more was planned, even if you look at the 2020 owners manual it makes reference to power folding mirrors, 360 camera, and the IC in the drawings has a large digital section in the center in some of the sections. The Edge really is one of the best vehicle in that segment still, only glairing issue now are the outside mirrors are small, center stack needs a design tweak and material change, and stop every dealer from only ordering ones with the Ebony interior, the Ceramic interior is beautiful and changes/opens the whole cabin.  

CR recommends both the Edge and Nautilus and praises them in their reviews. They are very competitive in their segments, at least for now as long as Ford keeps them fresh. Hard to know if Ford values the nameplates like they do F-Series, Mustang, and upcoming Bronco family. I guess you can add in the Explorer and verdict is still out with Escape considering the new Sport and how it sells and whether there is a hybrid version.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Not sure about KTP, but Rouge has a good amount of land around it, it seems. 

It has been about 10 years since I've been to the Rouge, but I remember seeing a lot of vacant land. The Rouge would be a good place to grow. There is a good geographical reason why Detroit became the Motor City. Edsel Ford could look out his living room window back in the 30's and see the Rouge iron ore carriers float by.

The point is that Ford doesn't want to build or even expand its production facilities unless absolutely necessary.

The best I could see happening is a possible increase production for the KTP SUV line rather than big investment

in infrastructure that may or may not pay off. The Exception being facilities for future EV truck/ SUV facilities

• 2 months later...

A friend of ours works at the Stamping Plant in Hamburg NY. Said that he heard about big changes coming and increasing Plant size in next 2 years. I don't know how true it is but could be. As for the Edge, I hope Ford plans on keeping it for a while as the Edge was the reason We came back to Ford after having BIG ISSUES with the Explorer 04 and 06 Eddie Bauer Edition.

6 hours ago, statd04 said:

A friend of ours works at the Stamping Plant in Hamburg NY. Said that he heard about big changes coming and increasing Plant size in next 2 years. I don't know how true it is but could be. As for the Edge, I hope Ford plans on keeping it for a while as the Edge was the reason We came back to Ford after having BIG ISSUES with the Explorer 04 and 06 Eddie Bauer Edition.

FWD Edge and Nautilus slated for 2023 end of production during the life of Unifor contract which is 3 years. AWD Edge slated to end 2024 July. 

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Just saw that '21 Edge/Nautilus gets large screen and Sync4, they're now set to the finish.

Ya if they’re phasing them out soon I doubt there will be any other major updates maybe an exterior touch here or there but I doubt a mid cycle refresh

6 hours ago, statd04 said:

...Edge was the reason We came back to Ford after having BIG ISSUES with the Explorer 04 and 06 Eddie Bauer Edition.

And Nautilus is the reason I came to FMC for the first time. Corsair's a bit too small, Aviator's too big and don't need that 3rd row, and where I live I can't install the overnight charging needed for a BEV. Lease is up in a year and a half, so we'll see what they might have available then (and maybe by then I'll have moved and can consider a BEV). But I'm unlikely to want to move into a new Nautilus in its last year of production.

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

And Nautilus is the reason I came to FMC for the first time. Corsair's a bit too small, Aviator's too big and don't need that 3rd row, and where I live I can't install the overnight charging needed for a BEV. Lease is up in a year and a half, so we'll see what they might have available then (and maybe by then I'll have moved and can consider a BEV). But I'm unlikely to want to move into a new Nautilus in its last year of production.

We know the feeling, our son who also drives the Edge is 6'5" and fits comfortably in it.

• Like 1

Not shocking considering Ford's decontenting. They have a history of gradually decontenting vehicles with a planned phase-out.

It's also telling that the Edge hasn't been shown in Ford's national and regional TV commercials for several months.

Edited by Alex D.
  • Like 1

I believe that they will make a 5 seat version of Explorer and that will replace Edge in the lineup. Take about 4-6 inches out of the wheelbase and about 8-10 inches out of the overall length and call it a day. The cost savings from having both on the same base platform will ensure profitability in the lineup.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I believe that they will make a 5 seat version of Explorer and that will replace Edge in the lineup. Take about 4-6 inches out of the wheelbase and about 8-10 inches out of the overall length and call it a day. The cost savings from having both on the same base platform will ensure profitability in the lineup.

That was the original plan but we were told it was scrapped and there are no other CD6 vehicles on the way.

18 minutes ago, twintornados said:

This would be great, if they did it at a different plant, and showed CAP how easy it could be to make Explorers & Aviators elsewhere.

HRG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, twintornados said:

That would suit my needs nicely, as long as they don't make it in Chicago.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 7:49 AM, twintornados said:

This would be my perfect vehicle. The new fx4/variant or ST in this set up would be pretty nice.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 1:37 AM, twintornados said:

Then Steelcase guy retired...?

You never know with Ford, sometimes they double back and dust off plans, sometimes they dont.

I would hope that Farley keeps an open mind to potential of more product especially if it has hybrid versions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

You never know with Ford, sometimes they double back and dust off plans, sometimes they dont.

I would hope that Farley keeps an open mind to potential of more product especially if it has hybrid versions.

Never could figure out why Ford never did a hybrid Edge like rumored years ago. Toyota just did a Venza hybrid that looks like a direct Edge competitor. Edge is very popular in Central Florida....most popular new Ford around here after F-Series.